Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0
One of the finest collections of Photoshop-compatible plug-in filters available
- Effects are nicely customisable and creative
- Only the Complete Edition is compatible with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.3 and Nikon Capture NX2
If you require special effects and filters, you could do a lot worse than Nik Color Efex Pro.
Some special effects and filters are fun or useful; only a few become absolute necessities. Nik Software Color Efex Pro is in that latter category because it is not only one of the finest collections of Photoshop-compatible plug-in filters available, its quality and versatility make it almost indispensable.
Unlike ordinary filters that simply mask the original photograph with new colour or heightened contrast, Nik Color Efex Pro understands the underlying concepts behind photography, so that its effects manipulate the light, colour, contrast and saturation with sophisticated style and technological excellence. With 3.0, the new interface is zoomable and more flexible.
Similar in some respects to Nik's Silver Efex Pro, Nik Color Efex Pro effects may be applied globally to a picture. Or, they can be applied selectively using Control Points or a Brush.
You can place the resizable Control Points anywhere within the preview to set the effect's opacity on specific areas. In other words, in our screen capture, we could have set the Sunshine effect to be applied at 100 percent on the crane's head, 82 percent on its body, and 50 percent on the water.
If we used a Brush, we could have carefully and precisely painted the effect onto our photograph, varying the brush size and opacity as we worked.
Given the number of easy-to-use options with each filter, the effects are nicely customisable and creative, rather than boilerplate. For instance, with the Sunshine filter, we had control over saturation, colour cast, light style, light intensity and radius, prefilter style, prefilter intensity, shadows and highlights. (Each filter's options are different, to fit their individuality.)
The Standard Edition, which includes a sample of 15 filters, is available only as a download. The Select Edition has 35 filters, while the Complete Edition has 52 filters. While all the versions are compatible with Photoshop plug-in capable programs and Apple Aperture, only the Complete Edition is compatible, also, with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.3 and Nikon Capture NX2. Color Efex Pro is a professional photographer's tool that novices will quickly learn to love.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 LG V30+ Review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Businesses jump on Amazon’s Alexa after Australian launch date revealed
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPBusiness Analyst - Health PASQLD
- FTIntegration DeveloperOther
- FTSolution Architect - DigitalVIC
- FTCommunications ManagerOther
- TPSenior Program OfficerQLD
- CCSAP Business AnalystACT
- FTSenior Transition Project ManagerOther
- CCSenior Android DeveloperVIC
- FTNetezza DeveloperQLD
- CCHadoop DeveloperACT
- FTJunior BA x 2Other
- FTCRM Solution ArchitectACT
- FTResource Coordinator - $71 phOther
- TPJIRA Administration & Help Desk LeadVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - Office 365QLD
- FTClient PrincipalACT
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- FTRecruitment CoordinatorOther
- CCSAP Test AnalystQLD
- FTAWS AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- CCProject AdministratorNSW
- CCAutomation Test EngineerQLD
- FTProject Administrator/CoordinatorSA