Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0
One of the finest collections of Photoshop-compatible plug-in filters available
- Effects are nicely customisable and creative
- Only the Complete Edition is compatible with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.3 and Nikon Capture NX2
If you require special effects and filters, you could do a lot worse than Nik Color Efex Pro.
Some special effects and filters are fun or useful; only a few become absolute necessities. Nik Software Color Efex Pro is in that latter category because it is not only one of the finest collections of Photoshop-compatible plug-in filters available, its quality and versatility make it almost indispensable.
Unlike ordinary filters that simply mask the original photograph with new colour or heightened contrast, Nik Color Efex Pro understands the underlying concepts behind photography, so that its effects manipulate the light, colour, contrast and saturation with sophisticated style and technological excellence. With 3.0, the new interface is zoomable and more flexible.
Similar in some respects to Nik's Silver Efex Pro, Nik Color Efex Pro effects may be applied globally to a picture. Or, they can be applied selectively using Control Points or a Brush.
You can place the resizable Control Points anywhere within the preview to set the effect's opacity on specific areas. In other words, in our screen capture, we could have set the Sunshine effect to be applied at 100 percent on the crane's head, 82 percent on its body, and 50 percent on the water.
If we used a Brush, we could have carefully and precisely painted the effect onto our photograph, varying the brush size and opacity as we worked.
Given the number of easy-to-use options with each filter, the effects are nicely customisable and creative, rather than boilerplate. For instance, with the Sunshine filter, we had control over saturation, colour cast, light style, light intensity and radius, prefilter style, prefilter intensity, shadows and highlights. (Each filter's options are different, to fit their individuality.)
The Standard Edition, which includes a sample of 15 filters, is available only as a download. The Select Edition has 35 filters, while the Complete Edition has 52 filters. While all the versions are compatible with Photoshop plug-in capable programs and Apple Aperture, only the Complete Edition is compatible, also, with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.3 and Nikon Capture NX2. Color Efex Pro is a professional photographer's tool that novices will quickly learn to love.
Join the newsletter!
As modern printing and imaging solutions have become more versatile and sophisticated to keep up with the needs of users, hackers are working overtime to turn these innovations into vulnerabilities.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Nova 3e: P20 in a pinch
- 2 Sonos Beam review: A more-affordable, smarter soundbar option
- 3 ASUS Zenbook Pro 15: A futuristic, exciting, imperfect, flagship notebook
- 4 Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- 5 Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 review: A budget phablet that swings above its weight
Latest News Articles
- Bitdefender unveils new 2019 product line
- Opinion: Is Microsoft already killing off Windows 7?
- Google bring SMS to PCs with Android Messages for Desktop
- WWDC 2018: Apple gives us a first look at an all-new Mac App Store
- Budget 2018: Government seeks to boost Australian AI capabilities
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- Samsung officially debut the Galaxy Note 9
- Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- HTC U12+: Full, in-depth review
- Everything you need to know about Smart TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?