From hardcore gaming to everyday use, there’s a new MSI laptop for everybody
Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0
One of the finest collections of Photoshop-compatible plug-in filters available
- Effects are nicely customisable and creative
- Only the Complete Edition is compatible with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.3 and Nikon Capture NX2
If you require special effects and filters, you could do a lot worse than Nik Color Efex Pro.
Some special effects and filters are fun or useful; only a few become absolute necessities. Nik Software Color Efex Pro is in that latter category because it is not only one of the finest collections of Photoshop-compatible plug-in filters available, its quality and versatility make it almost indispensable.
Unlike ordinary filters that simply mask the original photograph with new colour or heightened contrast, Nik Color Efex Pro understands the underlying concepts behind photography, so that its effects manipulate the light, colour, contrast and saturation with sophisticated style and technological excellence. With 3.0, the new interface is zoomable and more flexible.
Similar in some respects to Nik's Silver Efex Pro, Nik Color Efex Pro effects may be applied globally to a picture. Or, they can be applied selectively using Control Points or a Brush.
You can place the resizable Control Points anywhere within the preview to set the effect's opacity on specific areas. In other words, in our screen capture, we could have set the Sunshine effect to be applied at 100 percent on the crane's head, 82 percent on its body, and 50 percent on the water.
If we used a Brush, we could have carefully and precisely painted the effect onto our photograph, varying the brush size and opacity as we worked.
Given the number of easy-to-use options with each filter, the effects are nicely customisable and creative, rather than boilerplate. For instance, with the Sunshine filter, we had control over saturation, colour cast, light style, light intensity and radius, prefilter style, prefilter intensity, shadows and highlights. (Each filter's options are different, to fit their individuality.)
The Standard Edition, which includes a sample of 15 filters, is available only as a download. The Select Edition has 35 filters, while the Complete Edition has 52 filters. While all the versions are compatible with Photoshop plug-in capable programs and Apple Aperture, only the Complete Edition is compatible, also, with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.3 and Nikon Capture NX2. Color Efex Pro is a professional photographer's tool that novices will quickly learn to love.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo Find X3 Pro review: An all around performer with a touch of class
- 2 MSI GS66 Stealth (2021) review: A gaming powerhouse with 300Hz display
- 3 Jackery Explorer 1000 Portable Power Station review: Good for venturing off the grid
- 4 Dynabook Portégé X30W-J – a very good all-rounder
- 5 Realme 7 Pro review: Further progress
Latest News Articles
- Adobe expands Creative Cloud M1 support, claims over 80% better performance than Intel
- Starlink Internet to be deployed in outback Aussie school
- How to set up two-factor authentication for your Apple ID and iCloud account
- How to customize the Safari start page in macOS Big Sur 11.3
- Run Windows 10 on your M1 Mac with Parallels Desktop 16.5
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- MSI Summit E15 (2021) review: A productivity workhorse with a gaming pedigree
- Every TV in Samsung's 2021 TV line-up explained: Neo QLED vs Crystal UHD vs QLED
- Best Australian EOFY 2021 Laptop Deals
- Everything you need to know about Smart TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?