Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Mario's reptilian nemesis finally gets his due
- Beautiful 2D graphics, solid combat, everything Fawful does and says is awesome
- Too much mandatory button-mashing, feels gimmicky at points
Bowser's Inside Story is a game that will have you laughing one moment and cursing the next but you'll enjoy doing both.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
Although he's caused Mario and his friends all kinds of headaches, King Bowser has slowly evolved into one of the most lovable characters in the Nintendo universe. He's lived in Mario's shadow for most of his career but he's finally getting some much deserved time in the spotlight in Bowser's Inside Story, a wacky RPG that centers on the self-centred and wilfully stupid monarch.
Beauty and the Beast
The beauty of Bowser is that he is not burdened with an excessive backstory nor is there an ill-conceived attempt to give him a complex personality. Bowser is a struggling 'everyman' who only wants to get some respect in a frustrating world. Easily tricked and abused by his enemies, it's hard not to feel sorry for him.
Your mission in Bowser's Inside Story is to help him stop failing at life, if only by a little bit. In battle you'll help Bowser maul his foes with mighty punches, scorching firebreath, and swarms of his tiny minions. When he fails, Bowser is often helpless until Mario & Luigi-accidentally devoured by Bowser earlier in the game-can do something to help him. They might play a mini-game to give Bowser a burst of strength or use an adrenaline rush to grow him into a lumbering giant.
The Shiny, Candy-Like Button
Battle and mini-games in Bowser's Inside Story are all about gruelling precision, in stark contrast to the cartoony graphics and goofy plot. Even common enemies demand careful counter-attacking and blocking. Most activities boil down to your ability to press exactly the right button at exactly the right time. These challenges are rewarding if simple. Other bits that involve frenzied button-mashing or stylus-swiping are far less memorable.
The plot mostly concerns Bowser's attempts wrest control of his destiny back from the endlessly quotable Fawful, who's trying to conquer the Mushroom Kingdom using the goofiest methods possible. Fawful isn't new to Bowser's Inside Story but he really takes on a life of his own here, hilarious in every single appearance. The whole game manages to be funny from beginning to end, a feat few games can manage.
Bowser's Inside Story is a game that will have you laughing one moment and cursing the next but you'll enjoy doing both. The cutscenes and challenges are equally entertaining, if in very different ways. Bowser's Inside Story works hard to make sure it's never boring or mindlessly repetitive and quite nearly succeeds. It's a must have for any DS owner, especially fans of the Mario universe.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Hands-on: Middle Earth: Shadow of War gets more creative with Tolkien's universe
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire shows off old friends and a mysterious new world
- E3 2017 day 2 wrap-up: Destiny 2 on PC, Wolfenstein returns, and Ubisoft games galore
- Xbox One X vs PlayStation 4 Pro: The console wars level up with powerful new hardware
- E3 2017 day one wrap-up: Call of Duty WWII, Intel's wireless VR, and crushing crowds
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperWA
- FTService Delivery Manager - Telecommunications InfrastructureOther
- FTService Desk AnalystOther
- FTNetwork Engineer - IP routing & switchingOther
- CCICT Training ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTMicrosoft Azure Cloud EngineerOther
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - System ImplementationQLD
- FTSenior RF EngineerSA
- FTApplication Support EngineerACT
- FTOracle Identity Management Solution ArchitectOther
- TPTest AnalystSA
- CCSenior Java DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Recruitment Specialist |Other
- FTPlatform/Technology Manager | Security & GovernanceOther
- FTSolution ConsultantVIC
- FTSoftware EngineerOther
- CCDevOps Engineer/ AdministratorQLD
- FTPHP DeveloperQLD
- TPEnterprise Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Drupal DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- TPDatawarehouse Test AnalystSA