Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Mario's reptilian nemesis finally gets his due
- Beautiful 2D graphics, solid combat, everything Fawful does and says is awesome
- Too much mandatory button-mashing, feels gimmicky at points
Bowser's Inside Story is a game that will have you laughing one moment and cursing the next but you'll enjoy doing both.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
Although he's caused Mario and his friends all kinds of headaches, King Bowser has slowly evolved into one of the most lovable characters in the Nintendo universe. He's lived in Mario's shadow for most of his career but he's finally getting some much deserved time in the spotlight in Bowser's Inside Story, a wacky RPG that centers on the self-centred and wilfully stupid monarch.
Beauty and the Beast
The beauty of Bowser is that he is not burdened with an excessive backstory nor is there an ill-conceived attempt to give him a complex personality. Bowser is a struggling 'everyman' who only wants to get some respect in a frustrating world. Easily tricked and abused by his enemies, it's hard not to feel sorry for him.
Your mission in Bowser's Inside Story is to help him stop failing at life, if only by a little bit. In battle you'll help Bowser maul his foes with mighty punches, scorching firebreath, and swarms of his tiny minions. When he fails, Bowser is often helpless until Mario & Luigi-accidentally devoured by Bowser earlier in the game-can do something to help him. They might play a mini-game to give Bowser a burst of strength or use an adrenaline rush to grow him into a lumbering giant.
The Shiny, Candy-Like Button
Battle and mini-games in Bowser's Inside Story are all about gruelling precision, in stark contrast to the cartoony graphics and goofy plot. Even common enemies demand careful counter-attacking and blocking. Most activities boil down to your ability to press exactly the right button at exactly the right time. These challenges are rewarding if simple. Other bits that involve frenzied button-mashing or stylus-swiping are far less memorable.
The plot mostly concerns Bowser's attempts wrest control of his destiny back from the endlessly quotable Fawful, who's trying to conquer the Mushroom Kingdom using the goofiest methods possible. Fawful isn't new to Bowser's Inside Story but he really takes on a life of his own here, hilarious in every single appearance. The whole game manages to be funny from beginning to end, a feat few games can manage.
Bowser's Inside Story is a game that will have you laughing one moment and cursing the next but you'll enjoy doing both. The cutscenes and challenges are equally entertaining, if in very different ways. Bowser's Inside Story works hard to make sure it's never boring or mindlessly repetitive and quite nearly succeeds. It's a must have for any DS owner, especially fans of the Mario universe.
Join the newsletter!
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Acer attempts to woo Australian gamers with reveal of its new Predator range
- Nintendo Switch software update: What does 4.0.0 feature and how to install it?
- Robot House announce vacuum-bot adventure game ahead of PAX Australia
- Wargaming launches ANZ servers for World of Tanks
- VR fairytale game Luna due for Oct 17 release
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPPrincipal PO|PI DeveloperQLD
- FTProject ManagerOther
- CCTechnical Lead - BrisbaneNSW
- CCBusiness Solution Architect / Senior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSolution Architect/Designer - Telecom IndustryOther
- FTHead of Engineering - FrontendNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCSAP HR Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTNetwork and Systems EngineerWA
- FTField Services TechnicianACT
- CCAdlib DeveloperVIC
- CCITSM Integration Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Systems Engineer (WINTEL)ACT
- FTApplication Support ConsultantVIC
- FT0365 Consultant - Large Scale O365 ImplementationVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCTableau DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior DevOps LeadVIC
- FTIntegration Solution Architect - $800 per dayOther
- CCBusiness Intelligence SpecialistNSW
- TPProject Manager - IT SecurityQLD
- FTTest AnalystOther
- FTLead Network Architect - $800pdOther
- FTTechnical Solutions ArchitectVIC