- Rugged, Flash Light, Compass
- No Bluetooth
The rugged design of the Nokia 5140i will handle the rough and tumble of outdoor adventures or even just everyday life. If you want a phone that can go the distance and don't need bluetooth this is a contender.
Price$ 289.00 (AUD)
The 5140i is an extension of Nokia's rugged phone line, successfully providing both resilience and water resistance. While the target of this phone is the user who is into outdoors-oriented sports, it really is suited to anyone looking for a handset that can handle the rough and tumble.
We tested this phone over a period of nine months and it lived up to its rugged looks. It came out unscathed through ski trips, mountain bike expeditions, bucks' parties, house renovations and train trips. It comfortably survived being dropped on carpet and concrete, and was not hindered by splashes and rain. After this time the only noticeable impact was some minor scratching on the plastic protective screen that covers the LCD panel.
The 5140i provides only the standard Nokia phone features, including a VGA camera and FM radio, but where this model really shines is its sporty inclusions. A mini flash light and compass are present - it even includes a spirit bubble built into the face of the phone to keep it level. The compass itself appears on the LCD panel and a bearing can be set - sure it doesn't compete with a GPS unit but it could be enough to get the user out of trouble. Other 'active lifestyle' features include a thermometer, stopwatch and countdown timer.
The features perform admirably, however the absence of Bluetooth doesn't fit the action-oriented nature of the model, with hands-free operation only provided by the included single-bud ear piece.
The 5140i is no ugly duckling, however the black case with rubber edging will appeal to those who put functionality ahead of style. And don't let the bulky design put you off - the phone is surprisingly light at only 100g.
The case design is not new, and we've described it previously as opening up like the protective shell of a cicada to reveal the sensitive components within. This design successfully protects the phone and is still reasonably easy to open by pressing on two sides of the bottom half of the 'shell' in much the same manner as the lid of a child proof container.
A flip out rubber cover at the base of the phone opens to reveal a Nokia port for power and another for attaching the ear piece or other accessories. A wrist strap is also included in the pack. The battery is rated by Nokia for 150 to 300 hours on standby and two to five hours calling time; the phone lived up to our battery life expectations.
Overall we were impressed with the Nokia 5140i. It certainly has its place in the market and if you are prone to breakages then this phone should go the distance.
Join the newsletter!
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Belkin Introduces USB-C 3.1 Express Dock HD
- Porsche Design Huawei Mate 10 Will Come To Australia
- Boost Mobile Doubles Data Offering With New Summer Plans
- BlackBerry KEYone Black Launches in Australia
- HTC U11 Plus latest rumours: Release date, price and specs
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTIT Security Support OfficersOther
- FTUnix/Linux EngineersOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Sunshine Coast HospitalQLD
- FTSharepoint DeveloperOther
- FTSecurity Analyst - Operational SupportOther
- FTManagement Consultant - ConsultancyOther
- CCLead Pega Systems ArchitectVIC
- FTAgile Digital Business AnalystQLD
- FTCommercial Loan Documentation SpecialistOther
- FTSenior Analyst, Technical SupportNSW
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperOther
- FTDigital Account StrategistSA
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCMiddleware AdminstratorNSW
- FTAnalyst ProgrammerOther
- FTAutomation TesterOther
- CCAutomation Anywhere developerQLD
- CCScrum MasterQLD
- FTMiddleware Engineer/ Tibco ActiveMatrix or other ESBOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTProgress 8.3 DeveloperOther
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA
- FTSolution DesignerOther