NU 8in Digital Photo Frame
- Wide flash memory support, high resolution LCD, 256MB inbuilt memory
- Poor viewing angle, limited file format support
Nu's digital photo frame offers support for a variety of flash cards as well as inbuilt memory, but poor viewing angles may detract from the overall experience.
Price$ 215.00 (AUD)
Nu's 8in Digital Photo Frame is one more offering in a highly competitive market. This particular frame is the smallest screen size in Nu's line-up, but a high resolution and built-in memory make for a good contender.
The frame is accompanied with a power cable, remote and manual. The stand is a part of the frame itself, adjustable for up to six different viewing positions. There is also an option for a separate frame to be added on through a standard camera mount fitting on the bottom of the unit. We were a little disappointed to find there was no USB cable in the package, as this is required to transfer photos from a computer to the frame's inbuilt memory. Acquiring one is relatively cheap, however, and transferring photos from a computer to the frame was easily done.
Nu offers support for all the major memory cards, and includes the option of using a USB flash drive as a source. It also manages to integrate two one-watt speakers which serve the basic purpose of playing music or the sound from any movies of the supported formats. Once turned on, the unit will automatically begin a slideshow of any pictures in its inbuilt memory or on a memory card if inserted. Setup options are not necessary but cover a variety of options, including slideshow effects, and basic photo manipulation with zoom and rotate.
Switching between memory cards, USB flash drive and inbuilt memory is easy with the provided remote. Access speeds for the memory cards was impressively fast, though accessing pictures on the USB flash drive took significantly longer. Unfortunately, file formats are somewhat limited. The only picture format supported is JPEG, with JPEG AVI supported for movies and MP3 support for music.
The LCD has a surprisingly high resolution considering its size. Still, the fact that the screen is inset into the frame behind reflective glass makes for poor presentation. In a well lit environment, the pictures are viewable but some of the images can appear washed out. Horizontal viewing angles are acceptable but slight variations in vertical angles severely affect the picture.
The colour accuracy of the frame is acceptable, though not as good as a larger LCD screen we compared it to. The frame was unable to properly scale a 15-megapixel reference photo, resulting in a fair amount of pixelation. For the most part though, real world examples at a reasonable quality did not suffer so much. Some pixelation did occur on 8-megapixel photos, but this was less noticeable in darker pictures.
Despite a lack of comprehensive support for common file formats other than JPEG, Nu's photo frame is a capable unit that certainly has an advantage over most competitors.
Join the newsletter!
Bitdefender’s best-in-class security solutions have been awarded Product of the Year.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Alexa Now Available in Amazon Music App in Australia and New Zealand
- Audible Now Available on Sonos
- HTC Vive Announces Price of Vive Pro
- Google announces new AFL and NRL integrations for Home and Assistant
- HTC Desire 12 release date, price and specs
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Interview - Netgear CEO Patrick Lo talks eSports, the NBN and why mesh is the smartphone of home Wi-Fi
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPICT Project ManagerNSW
- FTServiceNow- Platform DesignerOther
- FTMS SchedulerOther
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- FTService Desk Analyst - L1Other
- FTMultiple Angular ExpertACT
- CCProject Manager - Service ManagementWA
- FTEngagement Specialist (Information Management/Land Access)Other
- FTSnr MS SQL Developer- Australian only- security clearanceOther
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPEL1 Project ManagerACT
- FTSQL Database AdministratorWA
- FTService Asset & Configuration ManagerNSW
- FTSystem AdministratorOther
- CCSAP ArchiectNSW
- FTTechnical Quality Analyst (Payments, data, application integration)VIC
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTSAP Test AnalystsOther
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- CCSharePoint Business Analyst / DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - Technical IT / DigitalOther
- FTUX/UI DesignerQLD
- FTOrganisational Change ManagerOther
- TPProgram CoordinatorQLD