Nuance PDF Converter Professional 5.0
- Excellent accuracy, supports a wide array of file formats
- Starts a little slower than other similar apps
If PDF usage is prevalent in your office, Nuance PDF Converter Pro 5.0 should find a place in your toolbox.
Price$ 195.00 (AUD)
Do you work in an environment that relies on PDF documents as much as it does on Microsoft Office? If so, you may find it becoming difficult to manage all those file formats. That's when you need to invest in a PDF conversion tool. We tried out Nuance's $195 PDF Converter Pro 5.0, and were very impressed with its ease of use and outstanding accuracy.
Of course, you don't have to spend $195 on a PDF conversion tool – you can find free downloads and free Web services that convert documents into PDFs. For a quick conversion, such tools are fine in a pinch. You also can opt for one of the two $69 products that Nuance offers – PDF Converter 5 or PDF Create that do one-way conversions to PDF. But Nuance PDF Converter Pro 5.0 is a veritable Swiss-army-knife solution, offering advanced features such as digital signature support, side-by-side PDF-file comparisons, form creation, and PDF archiving of Microsoft Outlook mail.
This Pro version is not only less expensive than two major competitors (the $US130 Able2Extract and the $US399 Document Converter Pro from Neevia ), but it offers more features, converts documents more quickly, and improves on its competitors' conversion accuracy. It's also easier to use, thanks to a friendly interface and an optional assistant, and it handles images, links, and tables impressively.
PDF Converter Pro's most attractive features are its two-way conversion capabilities and its expansive file format support. It will generate PDF files from Word, Excel, PowerPoint, WordPerfect, MRC PDF (a compressed, three-layer format used by Nuance Omnipage and Paperport products), and searchable PDF files. It also converts PDF documents to any of these formats for editing with amazing accuracy.
We converted a 154-page PDF file (containing text, images, links, and tables) to a Word document. PDF Converter Pro 5.0 completed the task in 4 minutes, 1 second, with an accuracy level near 99 per cent. Only a few images were converted incorrectly; they came out as groups of images and not single objects. Able2Extract took 4min 45sec to complete the same task – that's 18 per cent slower – and the accuracy level wasn't quite as high. Like PDF Converter Pro, Able2Extract does offer two-way conversion, but it supports fewer file formats. Neevia's Document Converter Pro, meanwhile, uses a clunky interface that's better suited to batch conversion, not one-off use. And, despite being four times the price of Converter Pro 5.0, it offers only a one-way conversion to PDF.
Nuance PDF Converter Pro 5 also provides seamless content editing, regardless of the file type. You can edit PDFs directly within the app: objects can be resized or rotated, notes can be added, and changes can be tracked for review and approval. One of the nicest features: similar to creating a compressed ZIP file with multiple objects, PDF Converter Pro 5.0 can create a single PDF package made from any or all of the supported file types. Nuance also includes a PDF comparison tool that provides a side-by-side look at two PDF documents and points out all the changes.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 LG V30+ Review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Businesses jump on Amazon’s Alexa after Australian launch date revealed
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperVIC
- CCPortfolio / Project Coordinator - BrisbaneVIC
- FTCyber Security AnalystOther
- FTFront End DeveloperOther
- CCUI iOS & Android DeveloperVIC
- TPNetwork EngineerQLD
- FTGraduate Project CoordinatorACT
- CCApplications Packaging EngineerWA
- CCProject Manager - Multiple Roles - TelcoVIC
- CCProject Manager - Security/Cyber Security - CanberraNSW
- FTData Migration Lead- ECS.106, ETL & SAPOther
- CCCyber Security Business AnalystNSW
- FTDigital Developer - Back endVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst OR Data ModellerNSW
- FTHR Business PartnerOther
- CCKnowledge Analyst (Digital Content)NSW
- FTMultiple Angular ExpertACT
- TPBusiness Analyst/Project ManagerQLD
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSAP IS-U and SAP EWM Greenfield implemenationVIC
- FTPython DeveloperOther
- FT.Net Developer - Syspro experience mandatoryOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - InfrastructureVIC