Secure and Save before time runs out with Bitdefender Exclusive Clearance Offer! Get Bitdefender Total Security 2018 Now!
OKI Printing Solutions C3530n
- Fast for its engine speed, very inexpensive to buy
- Confusing installation and controls, dark photos, costly toner
While the C3530n performed quite well in our tests, its hidden consumables costs make it less of a bargain than it appears.
Price$ 1,639.00 (AUD)
Oki Printing Solutions' C3530n colour LED multifunction juggles the same responsibilities as its competitors do, but unfortunately it drops more of the balls.
Though it has a low purchase price, its consumables are extremely expensive. It's fairly fast, but its print quality is subpar. The machine also seems to fall short of Oki's usual level of build quality.
Our initial experience with it was rocky. The printed software-installation guide called the required CD by a completely different name. Scant information on which items to install (the process isn't automated) made deciding how to proceed harder. Documentation for some of the key items, such as the MFP Setup Utility, was not provided with our unit, although Oki says it will begin including the information soon.
Using the machine leads to further confusion. None of the control buttons have word labels, just icons that you may not understand. Few cues exist to help you navigate the menus via the monochrome five-line LCD. When you print, neither a blinking light nor an LCD message acknowledges the action. Even the toner cartridges require inserting one end in a certain way that's not documented clearly.
The design has other limitations, too. Though the 250-sheet main input tray is to be used all the time, it feels flimsy. Worse, the tray in our unit squeaked horribly when we moved it – and we could see plastic shavings coming off the side tracks from the friction. No additional input trays are available, nor is duplexing. On the bright side, the 50-sheet automatic document feeder is roomy and has a clever, sealed feeder mechanism that may reduce the risk of a jam on the scanner platen.
The C3530n's consumables are smaller (and thus even pricier) than usual. A 2500-page black cartridge and three 2000-page colour cartridges ship with the machine. Replacing them costs $64 for black (or 2.6 cents per page) and $92 for each colour (4.6 cents per page). A 15,000-page black cartridge costs $50, or one-third of a cent per page; each 15,000-page colour cartridge costs $55, or a little over one-third of a cent per page.
The C3530n posted good speeds but disappointing output quality. In our tests it printed text pages at a rate of 20.3 pages per minute (ppm), exceeding Oki's spec. Graphics printed at a reasonable pace of 4.5ppm. All of the output suffered from distractingly shiny toner. Text looked pretty good nonetheless, but photos printed on both plain and special paper seemed dark and a little grainy. Scanned images suffered from a foggy cast, and copies looked faint.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
- 2 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 3 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 4 Fitbit Versa review: New look, better price, same limits
- 5 Dell Inspiron 13 7000 2-in-1 review: Smaller form-factor, higher performance
Latest News Articles
- Epson Launches First Double-Sided A3+ 4-In-1 Inkjet EcoTank Printer
- Epson launches new Expression Premium Photo Range
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
PCW Evaluation Team
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
- Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
- Computex 2018: Nvidia launches new AI-focused hardware and software platforms
- Computex 2018: Everything you missed at Asia's biggest tech tradeshow
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?