Olin HVBT-2000 set-top box
This cut-price digital set-top box has everything you need to watch digital programs on your analog CRT television
- Simple, fast operation, plenty of connectors
- Interface is a little ugly, initial channel scan takes a long time
If you’re looking for a cheap device to make your older television digital TV ready, the Olin HVBT-2000 set-top box is a great choice. It’s simple and fast, with no serious issues (bar a bland interface).
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
The Olin HVBT-2000 is a cheap and easy to use digital television set-top box that operates quickly.
It’s not a bad looking unit, with a form factor similar to the Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player and other half-height A/V equipment. A matte black body and glossy front are complemented by a few chrome buttons and a simple vacuum fluorescent display that displays a single line of information. There’s nothing flashy or complicated here, but the up-side is that the device is exceedingly simple to operate; we’re confident that anyone could use it without any training needed. The remote has clearly labelled buttons and is intuitive to use.
This simple operation extends to the Olin HVBT-2000’s on-screen interface. In red and white hues it’s a little bland, but it uses large, high-contrast text and is easy to read from a distance. The interface doesn’t hold a candle to the sophistication of units like the Panasonic DMR-BW850, but we think it’s a better choice for those unfamiliar with technology.
For hooking up to your television — whether old or new — the Olin HVBT-2000 has all necessary connectors built in. The inclusion of HDMI is interesting given that most HDMI-enabled televisions will have a digital television tuner, but we can applaud the inclusion of the interface for its all-in-one nature. For older televisions, component, composite, S-Video and VGA are welcome, and the Olin HVBT-2000 will display a picture from any of its connectors without any settings needing to be entered, so set up is hassle-free. Picture quality from the Olin HVBT-2000 was as good as you can expect from broadcast television. Granted, we flattered it by testing with a Pioneer KURO PDP-C509A plasma television which will bring out the best in any digital video device, but we did note that the Olin HVBT-2000 had no problems displaying any of the fast motion or vibrant colours on the ONE HD sports channel.
The set-top box’s digital television reception was also top-notch, with no low signal strength or quality on any of the channels we watched. This may have something to do with the fact that the Olin HVBT-2000 undertakes a comprehensive channel scan upon its first start up, taking around 5 minutes to fully complete.
An electronic program guide (EPG) is integrated, showing a dozen upcoming shows for the channel you’re currently watching. You can’t view other channels' guides without switching to them, but this is standard fare for budget set-top boxes.
All up, the Olin HVBT-2000 is a competent set-top box that does everything it professes to, for a low price. It’s not full of features or brilliantly refined, but it’s a trouble-free solution for bringing your old analog television into the digital future.
Join the newsletter!
Bringing VR out of office and study spaces will serve to help it attract the new audiences it needs to continue growing
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Audible Now Available on Sonos
- Google announces new AFL and NRL integrations for Home and Assistant
- B&O Launches The Spring/Summer 2018 Collection
- Samsung Announces New 2018 Television Lineup
- Samsung’s Next TV is a Real Frame-Changer
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Interview - Netgear CEO Patrick Lo talks eSports, the NBN and why mesh is the smartphone of home Wi-Fi
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSenior Solution Architect - Brisbane locationNSW
- TPPrincipal SAP ABAP DeveloperQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTSenior Account ManagerACT
- FTAPS5 Project OfficerACT
- TPChange and Communication ManagerVIC
- TP.NET Developer - ContractWA
- FTSAP CRM ABAP-BRF+ DevelopersOther
- FTNetwork Infrastructure Development EngineerNSW
- FTOracle Database Exadata Engineers, Sydney CBD, 6 months contract,NSW
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness Intelligence Delivery ManagerQLD
- FTProject Manager (Telco) - Mid-LevelVIC
- CCTest ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Infrastructure Project ManagerACT
- FTIncident ManagerSA
- FTSenior Sharepoint DeveloperOther
- FTSystems EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Network EngineerACT
- TPLinux Automation EngineerQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst (Junior - Mid Level)NSW
- CCFull Stack Web DeveloperNSW
- FTSEO ExecutiveOther
- CCAgile Project ManagerNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer (Permanent Opportunity)QLD