Olin HVBT-2000 set-top box
This cut-price digital set-top box has everything you need to watch digital programs on your analog CRT television
- Simple, fast operation, plenty of connectors
- Interface is a little ugly, initial channel scan takes a long time
If you’re looking for a cheap device to make your older television digital TV ready, the Olin HVBT-2000 set-top box is a great choice. It’s simple and fast, with no serious issues (bar a bland interface).
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
The Olin HVBT-2000 is a cheap and easy to use digital television set-top box that operates quickly.
It’s not a bad looking unit, with a form factor similar to the Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player and other half-height A/V equipment. A matte black body and glossy front are complemented by a few chrome buttons and a simple vacuum fluorescent display that displays a single line of information. There’s nothing flashy or complicated here, but the up-side is that the device is exceedingly simple to operate; we’re confident that anyone could use it without any training needed. The remote has clearly labelled buttons and is intuitive to use.
This simple operation extends to the Olin HVBT-2000’s on-screen interface. In red and white hues it’s a little bland, but it uses large, high-contrast text and is easy to read from a distance. The interface doesn’t hold a candle to the sophistication of units like the Panasonic DMR-BW850, but we think it’s a better choice for those unfamiliar with technology.
For hooking up to your television — whether old or new — the Olin HVBT-2000 has all necessary connectors built in. The inclusion of HDMI is interesting given that most HDMI-enabled televisions will have a digital television tuner, but we can applaud the inclusion of the interface for its all-in-one nature. For older televisions, component, composite, S-Video and VGA are welcome, and the Olin HVBT-2000 will display a picture from any of its connectors without any settings needing to be entered, so set up is hassle-free. Picture quality from the Olin HVBT-2000 was as good as you can expect from broadcast television. Granted, we flattered it by testing with a Pioneer KURO PDP-C509A plasma television which will bring out the best in any digital video device, but we did note that the Olin HVBT-2000 had no problems displaying any of the fast motion or vibrant colours on the ONE HD sports channel.
The set-top box’s digital television reception was also top-notch, with no low signal strength or quality on any of the channels we watched. This may have something to do with the fact that the Olin HVBT-2000 undertakes a comprehensive channel scan upon its first start up, taking around 5 minutes to fully complete.
An electronic program guide (EPG) is integrated, showing a dozen upcoming shows for the channel you’re currently watching. You can’t view other channels' guides without switching to them, but this is standard fare for budget set-top boxes.
All up, the Olin HVBT-2000 is a competent set-top box that does everything it professes to, for a low price. It’s not full of features or brilliantly refined, but it’s a trouble-free solution for bringing your old analog television into the digital future.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- YouTube launches streaming TV service with 40 channels and unlimited cloud DVR storage
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTSharepoint DeveloperQLD
- FTLAMP Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Architect - Datacentre / StorageQLD
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- TPSolution Architect - InfrastructureQLD
- FTSecurity Engineer (IPS & Firewall exp essential) - Perm - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTIteration ManagerQLD
- CCPeopleSoft Functional AnalystVIC
- FTNetwork AdministratorQLD
- CCSplunk Software DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior Project Manager - Digital Application CX TransformationNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerQLD
- CCSenior Communications Advisor - Australian TelcoVIC
- TPProgram Governance Lead (PMO)VIC
- FTSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- FTSoftware EngineerWA
- FTProject Manager - PCI compliance projectQLD
- FTData Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital Business Analyst | Online BookingQLD
- FTDesktop Support OfficerSA
- TPProject Test ManagerQLD
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneVIC
- CCReporting System Specialist - Port MacquarieQLD