Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom
- Wide zoom, solid as a rock, xD and CF support, great features (including predictive focus, panorama, underwater support).
- Bulky and heavy feel, no printed manual.
A very sturdy camera with some appealing features that make it particularly suitable for outdoors photography.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
The obvious selling point of the C-7070 is the wide-angle lens, which shoots the equivalent of 27 to 110mm in 35mm format. Look beyond that, however, and you'll find a solid camera with just a few niggling problems that hold it back from being great.
Built from magnesium alloy and with a minimum of plastic, the Olympus is large, heavy and feels completely sturdy. It is good to hold, with a comfortable grip that sits well in the hand. Just don't try to put it in your pocket.
Rather than a standard mounted or rotating LCD, the C-7070 has a flippable, reversed screen that can be turned to face the direction of the photographer. It is mounted in the body of the camera, and flips upwards to line up with the hot shoe (which is for a separate flash). The screen is beautiful: despite being a standard 1.8", it has approximately 130,000 pixels and shows images crisply, clearly and without much ghosting.
The inclusions in the box with the C-7070 are basic: the standard PC and printer connections, along with a 32MB xD picture card. The camera supports both xD and CompactFlash cards.
The camera offers a full range of customisable features, including a special focus option that follows a moving target. It has 12 preset shooting modes, the most notable being two underwater modes to accommodate the optional PT-O27 waterproof case.
Images came out well on the fine setting at 3072 x 2048. They did tend to look a little washed out, but fine-tuning of the exposure and saturation levels would easily fix that. Sharpness, on the other hand, was great, and we loved the wide-angled shots.
Although the lack of a printed manual was irritating, the rest of the software bundled with the camera is quite good. We particularly liked the panorama function, which allows you to stitch together up to 10 photos into a single shot.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Dyno Introduces Modular, Motorized Camera Slider System for GoPros, Small Cameras and Smartphones
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixelbook, Google Home Mini & Max: Everything Announced At Today’s Google Event
- Google Certifies Insta360 Pro as First ‘Street View Auto Ready’ Camera
- Noir Matter Introduces waterproof stabiliser for GoPro & other action cameras
- Sony’s New RX10 IV combines Fast AF and 24 FPS continuous shooting with 24-600mm F2.4-F4 Zoom Lens
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCCall or Contact Centre OperatorNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - SharepointVIC
- CCTech PM - SecurityNSW
- FTJava Implementation EngineerVIC
- CCJava DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Digital Producer | 6 Month Contract roleNSW
- CCSecurity Engineer/AnalystACT
- FTTalent Acquisition Specialist - Large Blue Chip clientOther
- TPProject OfficerQLD
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTArchitect x 2 Roger WhiteOther
- FTData Centre EngineerOther
- CCUI DeveloperVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTProject ManagerOther
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCData AnalystNSW
- CCSite Acquisition CoordinatorNSW
- CCI&CS Communications LeadVIC
- TPSenior ServiceNow ConsultantNSW
- TPCRM Project ManagerQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst - Integration Platform ProjectQLD
- FTProgram Manager - SaaSQLD
- TPProject SchedulerQLD