Olympus MJU 800
- Beautiful LCD, guide function perfect for beginners, fully manual control options, weatherproof body
- Image quality below expectations, camera could be a little smaller
A highly recommended purchase. Although the image quality was not quite up to what we were expecting from an 8 megapixel sensor, for the price it still blew the competition away.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
This is a great camera. An eight megapixel compact, it's cheaper than some seven megapixel cameras.
There were two things that really stood out. Firstly, the screen. Several other cameras have 2.5" LCDs. Few sport a 215,000 pixel beauty like the Stylus 800, however. This makes picture taking an absolute joy, as the subject is rendered clearly and richly with no evident ghosting. It makes framing images a breeze, and really improves the photo-taking experience.
Secondly, a brilliant guide function can be accessed by a simple button press on the side of the screen. This guide has options for everything from adjusting blur to shooting moving targets and shooting blown-up images. Each one explains the best way to change the settings to suit that particular image type. This is a brilliant addition for beginners.
The camera is perhaps a little larger and heavier than we would have liked, but it's still quite pocketable. According to Olympus, the camera is weatherproof. This means the camera should be OK in light rain.
When it came time to look at the images we had taking during our testing, we were left feeling a little disappointed. From an eight megapixel model, we would have expected some truly amazing shots, and while they certainly did look very nice, they didn't really distinguish themselves from some of the lower-resolution compact cameras we have tested.
Detail in the shots was great, and the problem of edge blurring is all but non-existent; but the images appeared a little washed out.
It's also worth mentioning the camera's Bright Capture technology, which helps to take shots in low light by increasing sensitivity. It can also remove the need to use a flash. Couple this with 19 preconfigured shot modes and a host of manual control options (which are thoroughly explained in the guide function), and you have a wonderful, complete camera package.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 2 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 3 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 4 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 5 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic Announces Compact, Lightweight ultra-telephoto LEICA Lens
- Panasonic announce still-shooter flagship G9
- Sony Announces Development of New G Master Super-Telephoto Full-Frame E-Mount Lens
- Sony Expands Full-frame E-mount lens lineup
- Sony’s New Full-Frame α7R III Interchangeable Lens Camera promises to delivers both resolution and speed
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCPHP Developer (Codeigniter / Cake)VIC
- CCSenior Citrix EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - CMS / DMSOther
- TPPHP and PL/SQL SupportNSW
- FTSenior Infrastructure Delivery ManagerOther
- TPChange Manager - Services CatalogueQLD
- FTPortfolio Management & Governance ConsultantOther
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- TPChange AnalystVIC
- FTFront-End DeveloperSA
- CCRegulatory Project ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Java Developer / IntegratorQLD
- FTUI / UX DesignerOther
- FTJava DeveloperWA
- FTAutomation Tester/Technical Business AnalystOther
- FTSenior Consultant - .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Project Manager - Financial ServicesQLD
- FT.Net DeveloperACT
- CCMachine Learning SpecialistACT
- FTSenior Insights AnalystNSW
- FTFull Stack Web DeveloperOther
- CCDevOps EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- FTSoftware Configuration ManagerOther