Olympus MJU 800
- Beautiful LCD, guide function perfect for beginners, fully manual control options, weatherproof body
- Image quality below expectations, camera could be a little smaller
A highly recommended purchase. Although the image quality was not quite up to what we were expecting from an 8 megapixel sensor, for the price it still blew the competition away.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
This is a great camera. An eight megapixel compact, it's cheaper than some seven megapixel cameras.
There were two things that really stood out. Firstly, the screen. Several other cameras have 2.5" LCDs. Few sport a 215,000 pixel beauty like the Stylus 800, however. This makes picture taking an absolute joy, as the subject is rendered clearly and richly with no evident ghosting. It makes framing images a breeze, and really improves the photo-taking experience.
Secondly, a brilliant guide function can be accessed by a simple button press on the side of the screen. This guide has options for everything from adjusting blur to shooting moving targets and shooting blown-up images. Each one explains the best way to change the settings to suit that particular image type. This is a brilliant addition for beginners.
The camera is perhaps a little larger and heavier than we would have liked, but it's still quite pocketable. According to Olympus, the camera is weatherproof. This means the camera should be OK in light rain.
When it came time to look at the images we had taking during our testing, we were left feeling a little disappointed. From an eight megapixel model, we would have expected some truly amazing shots, and while they certainly did look very nice, they didn't really distinguish themselves from some of the lower-resolution compact cameras we have tested.
Detail in the shots was great, and the problem of edge blurring is all but non-existent; but the images appeared a little washed out.
It's also worth mentioning the camera's Bright Capture technology, which helps to take shots in low light by increasing sensitivity. It can also remove the need to use a flash. Couple this with 19 preconfigured shot modes and a host of manual control options (which are thoroughly explained in the guide function), and you have a wonderful, complete camera package.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- Sony’s New RX10 IV combines Fast AF and 24 FPS continuous shooting with 24-600mm F2.4-F4 Zoom Lens
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Panasonic Announces LUMIX DC-GH5 Firmware Update Service
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSenior Wintel EngineerOther
- CCNetwork Engineer - Cleveland BasedQLD
- TPSenior Full-Stack DeveloperSA
- FTInfrastructure Engineer - POS/DesktopOther
- CCTransformation/ Organisational Change ManagerNSW
- TPDatabase & GIS ManagerVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst / Change AnalystOther
- FTBusiness Transformation ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - AZURE/ O365Other
- FTData ModellerOther
- CCEvent ManagementNSW
- CCDevOps Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- FTJunior .NET DeveloperOther
- FTNetwork Support EngineerSA
- FTSalesforce Platform LeadOther
- FTProject Manager | Intelligent Transport Software DeliveryOther
- FTTechnical writerNSW
- FTData DeveloperOther
- FTUI Developer / Front-End DevloperQLD
- TPAgile Business AnalystQLD
- FTTECHNICAL INFRASTRUCTURE LEADOther
- CCApplication Developer - Sterling IntegratorVIC
- FTBig Data DeveloperOther
- CCApplications Deployment/SupportQLD