Olympus XZ-1 digital camera (preview)
Olympus rolls out a rival to Canon's PowerShot S95
- Should deliver impressive performance in dim lighting, control ring, RAW shooting
- Fairly hefty price tag
The Olympus XZ-1 is one of the more interesting digital cameras to have been unveiled at this year's Consumer Electronics Show.
The fixed-lens Olympus XZ-1 is a high-end compact digital camera that offers full manual controls and impressive hardware. Olympus unveiled the camera at CES in Las Vegas.
The compact, pocketable XZ-1 is a high-performance point-and-shoot that's geared to go toe-to-toe with Canon's PowerShot S95. The 10-megapixel CCD-sensored XZ-1 has a fast, bright F1.8 aperture at the wide-angle end of its 4x optical zoom (28mm to 112mm) that's an F-stop wider than any other pocket camera on the market. It also boasts an equally impressive F2.5 aperture at full telephoto -- that's a wider aperture than most compact cameras have at their wide-angle end.
The XZ-1 is the first Olympus fixed-lens camera to offer a Zuiko lens, which is bolstered by dual optical/digital image stabilisation. Olympus is touting the camera's low-light capabilities, thanks to its wide aperture, autofocus-assist lamp, and ISO adjustments that reach up to 3200. The camera also boasts a 3-inch OLED screen.
Olympus's new flagship point-and-shoot also employs a similar control ring around the lens as the Canon PowerShot S90 and S95, which allows fast access to aperture, shutter, and ISO settings. Other key features include full manual controls, RAW shooting, an extensive range of Olympus's digital art filters (such as the tilt-shift-lens simulating Diorama Mode, Dramatic Tone, Pop Art, and Soft Focus), 720p high-definition video at 30fps, and the same in-camera Live Guide tutorials that are found in Olympus's PEN series of interchangeable-lens cameras.
The XZ-1 also serves up a hot shoe on top of the camera that can be used with Olympus's attachable electronic viewfinder for the PEN series, an external microphone, and the company's new Macro Arm Light extension.
The Olympus XZ-1 is priced at US$500 and will be released in Australia in late February.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Dyno Introduces Modular, Motorized Camera Slider System for GoPros, Small Cameras and Smartphones
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixelbook, Google Home Mini & Max: Everything Announced At Today’s Google Event
- Google Certifies Insta360 Pro as First ‘Street View Auto Ready’ Camera
- Noir Matter Introduces waterproof stabiliser for GoPro & other action cameras
- Sony’s New RX10 IV combines Fast AF and 24 FPS continuous shooting with 24-600mm F2.4-F4 Zoom Lens
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- Moto X4 review
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Risk CoordinatorSA
- FTSenior Security ConsultantOther
- TPCyber Security EngineerNSW
- FTOracle Developer / EngineerACT
- CCMessageQueue/DataPower AdministratorACT
- FTService Desk Level 2 Support ConsultantOther
- TPICT Infrastructure Project ManagerQLD
- TPSenior .NET ContractNSW
- FTIT Security Assurance AnalystOther
- TPProject CoordinatorACT
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - IntegrationNSW
- FTLean Six Sigma Process AnalystOther
- CCSolution Engineer - RF/HFC - TelcoVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTDelivery ManagerACT
- CCBlue Prism DevelopersNSW
- FTCustomer Marketing ExecutiveOther
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTCloud Engineer | AzureOther
- FTProgram Director - Telecommunications (FTK, CW and SAED)Other
- FTApp Support Tech LeadQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - Multiple RolesACT
- CCProject SchedulerWA
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther
- CCTest Analyst - Intermediate LevelNSW