Onkyo LS-T10 TV speaker system
Onkyo's new soundbase brings high quality sound to TVs in one neat, complete package
- Convenient and easy-to-install system
- Good all around sound quality
- Integrated Bluetooth
- Can struggle with some low frequencies
- Very small remote
Onkyo's LS-T10 is similar to a soundbar, but it's a base instead. Rather than sitting in front of your TV, it can become the stand for your TV. It has a sub-woofer built in and is very easy to set up and use. Its sound quality isn't bad either. Well worth considering if you want a neat sound solution for your TV.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
Onkyo has come up with a new type of sound device for improving the audio from your TV. It'’s the LS-T10 TV speaker system, which the company also calls a 'soundbase'. It's basically a soundbar that has a lot more depth so that it can also be used as the resting place for your television (about 35kg weight is supported).
Physically, it's a slim, rectangular unit that has everything built in to it, including the sub-woofer. The unit has six speakers sitting on three sides (four at the front and one each on the left and right), while the sub-woofer sits at the bottom and fires downwards. The full-range speakers have a diameter of 7cm, while the sub-woofer has a diameter of 12cm. The side-mounted speakers basically give the sound a bit more 'space' through a wider firing range. It can also do Dolby Digital decoding when you play movies.
Overall, the LS-T10 TV speaker system can produce powerful sound, and that's despite having a small sub-woofer enclosure compared to what a regular soundbar with a wireless sub-woofer has. That’s not a bad thing though. The sound from this soundbase is well rounded and not overly bass heavy — and you don't have to find a separate resting place for the sub-woofer. It’s perfect for listening to music, and watching TV and movies. There are built-in filters that allow you to switch between music, news and movie modes, with the ‘news’ mode being suitable for sound that’s mostly dialogue. You can really tell if you’re using the wrong mode for your music as it will sound completely different to what you expect.
The power emitted from the soundbase is enough to easily fill a lounge room with rich sound, and it's a device that we think is fine for an apartment in addition to a regular-sized house. If the bass is a little too loud for your taste (and your neighbours' liking) then you can use the separate bass control to turn it down a few notches, but we didn't find it to be as bass-heavy as some soundbars that we've seen recently, such as Polk's 5000. Some overly powerful tracks with lots of bass can overwhelm the Onkyo a little (The Chemical Brothers' Under the Influence is one of them, and it usually does this to most speakers systems we look at), but other bass-heavy tracks we played, such as The Herd’s A Thousand Lives (Sietta remix) performed just as we expected, with their rolling bass lines coming out of the speaker smoothly and clearly.
The style of the LS-T10 soundbase is clean and understated, and there is only one LED that lights up to indicate that the unit is powered on. You don’t get any annoying blue lights or a display screen, though this is also a drawback as you can't tell at a glance what mode the base is in or what level the bass is set to, for example. Construction is solid, and the primary structure is made of wood, so it sits sturdily on the furniture. Its strong construction is needed, not just to reinforce the sound, but also because it has to support any TV that’s placed upon it.
There are simple connections on the rear for a TV; mainly, you can use the optical connection to hook up your TV, and there is an analogue connection (3.5mm) to connect an MP3 player or any other older audio device of your choosing. The best part is that the base also includes Bluetooth. You can easily pair it to your phone or laptop to play your tunes through the soundbase’s speakers. If you have a hard drive full of music that you want to connect to the soundbase on a permanent basis, you can use the USB port — it will accept Fat32 formatted drives. There is a coaxial digital connection as well, but you can only use it if the optical digital connection is not in use.
You can control the soundbase using its credit card-sized remote, which we think is way too small, but Onkyo informed us that the unit is preprogrammed to work with the remote controls of the nine most popular TVs on the market. It can also be programmed to work with the remote of your own TV, should it not be one of the nine most popular on the market.
All up, the Onkyo LS-T10 TV speaker system is a worthwhile product for those of us who want a neat solution to a messy audio problem. All the speakers are contained within the base of the unit and setting it up requires nothing more than the power cable and an optical cable to be connected. The only hard part is lifting your TV and placing the soundbase under it.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- YouTube launches streaming TV service with 40 channels and unlimited cloud DVR storage
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTIntegration Developer (WebSphere Message Broker / Java)SA
- CCSenior Communications Advisor - Australian TelcoVIC
- FTIT Systems EngineerTAS
- FTCustomer Account Officers x3NSW
- FTSolution ArchitectSA
- TPBusiness Analyst / Test CoordinatorQLD
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTInformation Management Business Capability AnalystACT
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTIT Systems EngineerQLD
- FTIntermediate Project ManagerQLD
- FTData Analyst - 12 months Fixed Term ContractVIC
- CCSenior DeveloperNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- CCData AnalystNSW
- FTProject CoordinatorVIC
- TPProject Manager | Applications and Project InitiationQLD
- CCGraduate DeveloperQLD
- FTAccounts and Office AdministratorNSW
- FTLearning & Development Consultant, Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCTechnical Specialist - Cloud ServicesVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCMaster Data Officer - SAPNSW
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW