Onnto TB-S120 hard disk enclosure
The Onnto TB-S120 is hard disk enclosure offering USB 2.0, FireWire 400 and FireWire 800 connectivity.
- Multiple connection options
- Needs power adapter for USB connection
Only its inability to be powered by a USB cable mars the versatile Onnto TB-S120 drive, which in other respects is a nicely built and highly specified hard disk enclosure.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
Note: Pricing for this product is in US$.
The capacity of external USB hard drives is going up all the time. Unfortunately, most only offer a USB 2.0 connection, which limits how quickly you can get your data onto or off the drive.
The Onnto TB-S120 hard disk enclosure is a flexible solution to the problem. It's an empty case with three different connection standards, namely USB 2.0, FireWire 400 and FireWire 800. And in our tests, we found using the latter rewards you with transfer speeds twice that of USB.
The Onnto TB-S120 is neatly constructed from an aluminium extrusion with silver-painted plastic ends. Inside a metal tray supports the circuit board, with the three interface types and a DC power input on one end.
With FireWire, you can daisy-chain several devices together, and to this end the Onnto TB-S120 includes two FW 800 ports for this purpose (but only one port for FW 400).
Also included in the box is a power adaptor, and sadly we found this was required for USB operation. Only with FireWire connections was the Onnto TB-S120 drive happy to be entirely bus-powered.
We found it straightforward to install a WD Scorpio Blue hard disk, a 2.5in drive firmly secured in place by four screws to the PCB.
Using Simpli HD Tach 3.0 for speed tests, we found that USB 2.0 and FireWire 400 were very close in read performance - 27.4MB/s and 26.0MB/s respectively. In data write tests, the FW 400's 21.5MB/s figure nudged out USB's 19.1MB/s.
And it was with FW 800 that the unit came into its own, able to read at 60.2MB/s and write at 27.2MB/s, with bursts of up to 82.9MB/s.
Impressively, FireWire only consumed 1-2 percent system CPU, while USB needed 17 percent.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTBig Data ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperOther
- TPTest AnalystSA
- CCTeam Assistant/Executive Assistant - TelcoVIC
- FTData ModellingACT
- FTSenior Software Engineer - C++QLD
- TPPrincipal Data AnalystQLD
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- FTPersonal AssistantSA
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCSAP AdminstratorNSW
- FTSalesforce Platform LeadOther
- CCSCCM EngineerNSW
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- FT.Net Developer- Active Baseline Clearance RequiredOther
- FTHFC Capacity Planner | 6mth ContractOther
- FTSenior Data Centre OperatorOther
- FTSenior Change ManagerNSW
- CCApplications Development Delivery LeadVIC
- CCOracle CRM OD (On Demand) Consultant - Telecom IndustryVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - SalesforceNSW
- FTICT Cloud Transformation Program Coordinator - SAPOther
- CCIntel Active Directory SpecialistNSW
- FTTechnical Operations ManagerOther
- TPSolution Architect - Cloud InfrastructureQLD