OXX Digital Vantage digital radio
The Vantage is a portable digital radio with an appealing price tag
- Good reception, light, comes with a 12-month warranty (or 24 months if online registration is completed)
- Some sound distortion when volume is turned up high
We are very impressed with the Vantage: it has great features, it's aesthetically pleasing and, for a digital radio, it's cheap!
Price$ 149.95 (AUD)
Finally! A digital radio that has a decent price tag yet doesn't make any compromises when it comes to sound quality. OXX Digital's Vantage looks as good as it sounds, with a retro design that’s very easy on the eye.
OXX has really impressed us with this little radio. Reception was clear during our tests, even when the aerial was not extended. The sound quality is great for a small digital radio, despite only having a single speaker.
Navigating the radio's interface is simple with the scroll and select wheel. The LCD screen illuminates when you press a button or turn the wheel, and the text on the two-line display is easy to read. You can store up to 10 preset stations on the Vantage.
The Vantage won't take up too much space when it sits on your bedside table, desk or kitchen bench, and it’s light enough (1.3kg) to carry around.
An auxiliary input allows you to plug in your MP3 player and play your own music if the radio stations ain’t ticklin’ your fancy. The Vantage can also be connected to a hi-fi system, or you can plug in a pair of headphones. There is a DC power port, which means you can avoid running down the four C cell batteries that the radio uses.
For those who like listening to music as they doze off the Vantage has a programmable sleep timer. It also offers a dual alarm clock with a snooze function
Overall sound quality is great, although when the volume is at a high level you get a little bit of distortion coming through the single 2W, full-range speaker. The Vantage has decent mid-range and treble balance, but it’s somewhat bothersome that there are no controls for adjusting bass and treble.
The Vantage is quite aesthetically pleasing, though the font used to label buttons looks slightly odd and is a little hard to read.
OXX Digital's Vantage is a great product and another success for the company: it's an excellent little digital radio with an appealing price.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google WiFi review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Sony Xperia XZ Premium phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Blackberry KEYone phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Judge paves the way for British hacker's extradition to US
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Linksys Velop mesh WiFi review
- D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- Google WiFi review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTC# & ASP.Net / Web Front End DeveloperOther
- FTPHP DeveloperNSW
- FTProject SchedulerOther
- CCFleet Management System Specialist - Brisbane or AdelaideWA
- CCProgrammer AnalystQLD
- FTProgram / Portfolio Management ConsultantSA
- FTNetwork Engineer - Level 2ACT
- FTData Analyst/ScientistOther
- FTSenior Operations Support OfficerACT
- CCSAP ABAP DevelopersACT
- FTOffice Manager / PAOther
- FTData EngineerOther
- FTSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperOther
- TPTest ManagerNSW
- CCWS02 Senior DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- CCProject Manager - DeploymentNSW
- FTReporting Analyst / Admin Support - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTIT Service Delivery ManagerNSW
- CCProject AdministratorNSW
- CCSAP BO LeadNSW
- FTDigital BA | App Dev Environment | 6 month contract roleOther
- FTTalend DI DeveloperOther
- FTAutomation SpecialistOther