For a generation, TVs have been in the background – in more ways than one – of household entertainment.
OXX Digital Vantage digital radio
The Vantage is a portable digital radio with an appealing price tag
- Good reception, light, comes with a 12-month warranty (or 24 months if online registration is completed)
- Some sound distortion when volume is turned up high
We are very impressed with the Vantage: it has great features, it's aesthetically pleasing and, for a digital radio, it's cheap!
Price$ 149.95 (AUD)
Finally! A digital radio that has a decent price tag yet doesn't make any compromises when it comes to sound quality. OXX Digital's Vantage looks as good as it sounds, with a retro design that’s very easy on the eye.
OXX has really impressed us with this little radio. Reception was clear during our tests, even when the aerial was not extended. The sound quality is great for a small digital radio, despite only having a single speaker.
Navigating the radio's interface is simple with the scroll and select wheel. The LCD screen illuminates when you press a button or turn the wheel, and the text on the two-line display is easy to read. You can store up to 10 preset stations on the Vantage.
The Vantage won't take up too much space when it sits on your bedside table, desk or kitchen bench, and it’s light enough (1.3kg) to carry around.
An auxiliary input allows you to plug in your MP3 player and play your own music if the radio stations ain’t ticklin’ your fancy. The Vantage can also be connected to a hi-fi system, or you can plug in a pair of headphones. There is a DC power port, which means you can avoid running down the four C cell batteries that the radio uses.
For those who like listening to music as they doze off the Vantage has a programmable sleep timer. It also offers a dual alarm clock with a snooze function
Overall sound quality is great, although when the volume is at a high level you get a little bit of distortion coming through the single 2W, full-range speaker. The Vantage has decent mid-range and treble balance, but it’s somewhat bothersome that there are no controls for adjusting bass and treble.
The Vantage is quite aesthetically pleasing, though the font used to label buttons looks slightly odd and is a little hard to read.
OXX Digital's Vantage is a great product and another success for the company: it's an excellent little digital radio with an appealing price.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A5X review: A winning blend of long battery, solid performance and low-price
- 2 Huawei FreeBuds review: Solid as a value-add, less so standalone
- 3 HP Omen 15 (2018): Full, in-depth review
- 4 Oppo Find X review: Damn.
- 5 Moto G6 review: A solid mid-tier effort with few compromises
Latest News Articles
- Judge paves the way for British hacker's extradition to US
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9: Full, in-depth, Australian review
- Oppo Find X: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic FZ1000U OLED TV: Full, in-depth, review
- Everything you need to know about Smart TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?