- Value for money, compact and stylish
- No web support
Stylish, small and simple to use - there's nothing wrong with the Z22. And there's plenty to like about that price, too. If you want a PDA, you'll struggle to match these levels of quality and value.
Price$ 179.00 (AUD)
Palm's Z22 is a cute, lightweight and inexpensive PDA, or personal digital assistant. Like a super-slim packet of cigarettes, it will slip into your pocket - if there's any space left there. After all, at a mere $179 the Palm is hardly going to drain your trousers of cash.
Out of the box it takes a hefty three hours to charge the Z22, but once up and running things are straightforward. Adding memos and to-do items using the stylus is fairly easy, and once you've installed the Outlook-alike software (Palm's own application), synching with your desktop PC is a one-button trick. Contacts and memos will be safe in the Z22's flash memory, of course, but it never hurts to have a backup. And if you use Palm's software as your desktop diary, it will feel as though you have access to your PC wherever you go.
So far so nifty, but it's difficult to escape the suspicion that the electronic filofax is hurtling towards obsolescence at a similar pace to red braces and horn-rimmed specs. Today's PDAs feel like smartphones that can't make calls. Of course, you wouldn't get this level of functionality or memory on a phone for this price. And at $0 a month, you can't beat those running costs. But in this world of constant communication, a mobile diary that doesn't hook up directly to the web feels quaint.
It's an impression not eased by prolonged use of the stylus and 'virtual keyboard'. The ability to scrawl notes will be useful to some - and doodling passes time in meetings - but we soon hankered for a bit of qwerty action.
All of which is more of a comment on PDAs in general than criticism of the Z22. The Palm OS is intuitive and the hardware well put together - particularly for something so small. The screen is bright and the options for diary entry myriad. It's a good PDA.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic launches new Windows powered Toughpad
- Oppo release limited Barcelona FC version of R11 flagship
- 3SIXT Reveals iPhone X Offering
- ALDI Mobile Ups Stakes in the Telco Industry
- Tech21 Unveils New Phone Protection for Apple iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTInside Sales SMSF SolutionsOther
- CCNetwork Automation EngineerVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst with Testing backgroundOther
- FTEmail Campaign Production SpecialistOther
- FTProject SchedulerSA
- CCDatabase Administrator - BrisbaneVIC
- TPSenior Desktop AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther
- CCSenior DevOps EngineerVIC
- TPSenior Consultant - ServiceNowNSW
- CCLead Business Project ManagerNSW
- TPAgile Business AnalystQLD
- FTProject Manager - ApplicationsOther
- CCGuidewire Business AnalystQLD
- FTUX Designer | Mobile App | Initial 6 Month ContractOther
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- FTEnterprise Architect - NetworkingOther
- FTFront End Developer (Urgent)Other
- FTWireless Solution Architect - 6mth ContractOther
- FTSenior SAP Training LeadOther
- FTDevOps Engineer - Blue Chip CompanyOther
- FTNon - functional Test LeadVIC
- FTTest Engineer - Telecom domainVIC