Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ40 digital camera
Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ40 review: This super-zoom digital camera takes amazing photographs
- Excellent image quality, easy to use, good price, great battery life
- Mild pixelation and digital distortion in photographs taken in dull lighting without the flash
It is really refreshing to see a camera like this one on the market: The Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ40 is a well-rounded digital camera equipped with an impressive 24x optical zoom.
Price$ 649.00 (AUD)
The Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ40 super-zoom digital camera brings a healthy serving of awesome to the table. It's a feature-packed advanced compact camera that's perfect for everyday use, and also for travelling.
The LUMIX DMC-FX40 has a 14-megapixel sensor, a 25mm ultra-wide-angle Leica DC Vario-Elmarit f/2.8-5.2 lens, and a massive 24x optical zoom range. In layman's terms, it's a good camera.
The LUMIX DMC-FZ40 feels solid and sturdy, and it's surprisingly lightweight, too. Atop the LUMIX DMC-FZ40, there is a built-in pop-up flash and a stereo microphone for the camera's video mode. Right of the flash sit the mode dial, zoom rocker, record and focus buttons, and a power switch.
On the back of the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ40, you'll find a 3in LCD screen with a 230K dot resolution. Above it lies the electronic viewfinder, which we found somewhat painful to use due to its small size. We preferred the LCD. Beside the LCD screen are the obligatory navigational buttons, including delete/quick menu, timer, function, ISO, exposure compensation, menu/set, display, image play back, focus controls, EVF/LCD, AF/AE lock and a jog dial for manual control operation. There is nothing out of the ordinary.
The inner workings of this camera certainly come together to make a nice image. Unless you are a seasoned photographer used to something like a 5D Mark II or a Nikon D3x, you'll be blown away by how great the photos look. There is only mild pixelation and digital distortion in photographs taken in dull lighting without the flash, and noise can still be reduced either by using the flash or by using photo editing software like Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop CS5. Furthermore, chromatic aberration was almost nonexistent in most of out test photos.
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 makes it really hard not to take a decent photograph!
Images are crisp and vibrant, and you can choose from a wide range of excellent modes. We especially liked playing around with the 'my colour mode' where you can add colour filters to your shooting mode. For instance, when retro is selected the images are processed with an old-style filter over them, giving them that nostalgic look and feel.
Some examples of different filters.
The powerful 24x optical zoom will do wonders for aspiring spies, stalkers or bird watchers, and even sports fans and concert goers who want to take shots close to the action without leaving their seat.
"Hey, I wonder what brand that BBQ is? *zoom* Oh it's a grill master!"
With a lot of feature-loaded cameras out there on the market sacrificing the quality of one aspect of the unit in favour of another, it is really refreshing to see a camera like this one — everything seems to work wonderfully.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Dyno Introduces Modular, Motorized Camera Slider System for GoPros, Small Cameras and Smartphones
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixelbook, Google Home Mini & Max: Everything Announced At Today’s Google Event
- Google Certifies Insta360 Pro as First ‘Street View Auto Ready’ Camera
- Noir Matter Introduces waterproof stabiliser for GoPro & other action cameras
- Sony’s New RX10 IV combines Fast AF and 24 FPS continuous shooting with 24-600mm F2.4-F4 Zoom Lens
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCRPA Developer / Consultant - Contract Initially - SydneyNSW
- FTDevOps ConsultantVIC
- FTMid Level UX DesignerOther
- TPSales Representative/Account Manager - Global CorporationNSW
- CCIseries Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCSAP Finance AnalystNSW
- FTIT Test Automation SpecialistOther
- FTSenior Front End Developer - ReactJSOther
- CCSenior Service Delivery ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Specialist - IP Networks / TelcoOther
- CCAutomation TesterNSW
- CCLead Pega Systems ArchitectACT
- CCLinux AdministratorNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst (SAP Application )Other
- TPBusiness Analyst ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Solutions ArchitectOther
- CCMulesoft DeveloperVIC
- CCiMIS SpecialistNSW
- CCMobile DeveloperNSW
- FTMid-Level Project Manager - IP and Voice ProductsOther
- FTProject Manager - Property /Engineering/ Construction - GovtOther
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperOther
- FTSystems AnalystsOther