- Joystick control, quiet, brilliant picture
- A little large
A wonderful projector that packs together some of the best qualities of DLP and LCD technology, for under $4000. What more could you ask for?
Price$ 3,899.00 (AUD)
Panasonic's PT-AE700E LCD projector has more tricks up its sleeve than $3899 should rightly buy. Successor to the highly regarded PT-AE500, the PT-AE700E, is a high-definition (its native resolution is 1280 x 720) projector that has impressed us immensely.
The first thing worth pointing out is the little joystick right next to the lens. This is used to control the optical lens shift mechanism that moves the entire lens barrel both vertically and horizontally in order to obtain perfect image alignment with the screen, without having to wiggle the whole projector. It's a great addition to the feature set, and it's worth noting that it moves along both the horizontal and vertical axes--most projectors only support vertical movement if any. Using the lens shift along with digital keystone correction and the 2X optical zoom means off-centre projection is easy, which is a boon for the sometimes imperfect home theatres our lounge rooms can make.
The PT-AE700E is also remarkably quiet (the notebook I'm writing this on makes more noise) and reasonably compact, although it's far from being the smallest projector we've seen. But the most important part--image quality--is the PT-AE700E's greatest asset.
We tried a number of DVDs to test the many different types of video the projector is likely to come up against in its lifetime, and the PT-AE700E performed admirably across the board. Animated films like Monsters Inc showed off an expansive colour palette and didn't have to resort to over-saturating things to provide bright, rich colours. The contrast and skin tones in live action movies were simply outstanding. Mystic River, for example, looked sharp and natural with tons of detail, and lines on actors' faces were clearly visible. And this was just using the S-Video connection; plug in using the component or HDMI inputs and it gets even better.
Smooth Screen technology all but eliminates the 'flyscreen' effect common to LCD projectors; it works well, providing beautifully smooth yet sharp imagery.
A number of preset image modes are on hand to adjust the overall look of the picture, or, if you prefer to tinker, the Panasonic offers the amazing ability to colour correct more than a billion colours with Cinema Colour Correction (CCM). Contrast (another typically poor aspect of an LCD's performance) is very good, thanks to Panasonic's Dynamic Iris technology, which gives us better blacks without losing detail.
The upshot of all this new-fangled technology is simple: sublime image quality. Contrast, detail and colour are all top notch and as a longtime fan of DLP projectors I can honestly say this is the first--and so far only--LCD projector I'd choose over a DLP for home theatre use in this price bracket. It has superb picture quality, great features and is a bargain for big screen movie-watching.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Sony's Android-powered Xperia projector turns any flat surface into a touch screen
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCOracle DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - OFM ImplementationOther
- FTSoftware Media Applications SpecialistOther
- FTSenior Developer - API: C# .Net Developer | FinTech | APIOther
- CCGIS AnalystWA
- FTIT Project CoordinatorOther
- CCChange Analyst-TransformationNSW
- CCAutomation Test EngineerQLD
- FTJava Developer (Axway API)Other
- CCNetwork Security EngineerVIC
- FTCommercial Contracts AnalystOther
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTSenior Insight AnalystOther
- FTRecruitment CoordinatorOther
- FTC++/Python DeveloperNSW
- FTNetezza Developer - Brisbane locationOther
- TPPrincipal Solution Architect | CloudQLD
- FTServiceNow- Platform DesignerOther
- CCUDS DeveloperNSW
- CCIT Security AnalystACT
- FTC++/Python DeveloperACT
- CCOffice365 SpecialistNSW
- FTAutomation Test AnalystOther
- CCAutomation Test Engineer - BRISBANE BASEDNSW
- FTSenior Healthcare Pre-Sales Exec. / Clinical Advisor - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW