Panasonic SC-HC3 micro hi-fi system
This slim hi-fi system from Panasonic packs a surprisingly powerful aural punch
- Well-rounded sound, iPod dock, looks good
- Uneven sound at maximum volume level, display is too small
Panasonic’s SC-HC3 micro hi-fi is a great product. It’s attractive and has an integrated iPod dock. It has especially good sound quality considering its slim design.
Price$ 389.00 (AUD)
The Panasonic SC-HC3 is an attractive and slim micro hi-fi system that has an integrated iPod dock . It delivers good sound quality for a small system, although it probably doesn't have enough power for party duties.
Unlike the majority of micro hi-fi systems on the market, Panasonic has elected to give the SC-HC3 a minimalist look. A dark translucent plastic and brushed aluminium face is flanked by the two integrated stereo speakers; all the buttons are located on the top of the system. The fascia is motorised, sliding to the left to reveal a vertically mounted CD tray, and sliding to the right to allow access to the cavity in which an iPod can sit. Pushing the eject button for either the iPod or the CD tray slides the door in the appropriate direction.
When an iPod is playing, you’re able to see its display through the translucent section of the door. Inserting an iPod is easy thanks to a pivoting dock connector, although the connector itself is flimsy and allows the MP3 player to move slightly while seated.
We were expecting a credit card-style remote control, but Panasonic has included one that looks like a scaled-down version of the remote used by its current plasma and LCD televisions. The remote's navigation buttons are able to control the iPod’s menu system.
The Panasonic SC-HC3 has a bright, single-line monochrome display. We would have liked it to be significantly larger and to display more lines of information; it will be almost impossible to read from the other side of a medium-sized room. It also doesn’t show any iPod information, so if you’re searching for a specific song you’ll have to get up close.
As well as the iPod and CD playback options, an AM/FM radio tuner is also built in. We found reception generally good with the bundled antenna, and it has 30 presets. A 3.5mm auxiliary input is also included for connection to an external audio device.
The Panasonic SC-HC3 has a great design and plenty of input options, but what surprised us most was the sound quality. Usually slimline speakers have acceptable treble and mid-range performance but suffer when it comes to simulating lower frequencies. The SC-HC3 is different: Panasonic has engaged in some clever enclosure design, with two passive radiators at the rear of the speakers creating a warm and rich mid-bass sound. Combined with the strong treble performance, the sound emanating from the SC-HC3 is pleasant and warm.
An adjustable equaliser, several presets and virtual surround options allow tailoring of the sound to suit different musical styles. One small short-coming is the player’s low maximum volume before distortion creeps in; despite the 40W RMS rating, at higher volume levels bass becomes bloated and booming and treble tends to be harsh. It’s not a patch on a proper hi-fi setup, but the Panasonic SC-HC3 has impressive sound quality given its slim design and small stature. At medium volume levels, we’d say it’s the best micro hi-fi system we’ve heard.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 First Look: Nikon D850
- 2 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 Google WiFi review
Latest News Articles
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- YouTube launches streaming TV service with 40 channels and unlimited cloud DVR storage
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- First Look: ASUS Newest Notebooks
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTPresales Security ConsultantWA
- FTSnr Security Architect - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Configuration Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCSenior Security ConsultantQLD
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- TPSharePoint Business AnalystVIC
- FTScum Master / Senior Business AnalystOther
- CCCommercial AnalystNSW
- FTMobile/ Web (PHP) DeveloperNSW
- FTSolutions Architect - Higher EducationOther
- FTUX DesignerOther
- FTeCommerce Integration Support DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior Project OfficerNSW
- CCPenetration TesterQLD
- CCNetwork Automation EngineerVIC
- CCMid Level .Net Developer - NV1 - CanberraACT
- FTCorporate ReceptionistOther
- FTProject Manager/Integration PMACT
- FTCyber/Forensic Security AnalystACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst & Project ManagerOther
- FTSenior Technical Business AnalystVIC
- FTERP Delivery ManagerQLD
- CCTRIM Support OfficerQLD
- FTSoftware Asset ManagerACT