- DVD-RAM support, reliable
- Slow CD ripping and DVD writing
This drive is recommended for users who are after a drive that can read and write to DVD-RAM discs as well as all other DVD formats. Its CD performance was average and users looking for a drive to rip lots of music CDs will find the SW9585C unsuitable.
Price$ 180.00 (AUD)
This is one the few drives with the ability to write to non-cartridge type DVD-RAM discs, which makes it desirable if you already own a DVD-RAM-based set top DVD recorder. If you're a heavy user of rewritable discs then DVD-RAM will benefit you because of its robustness. DVD-RAM discs use error correction and can theoretically be rewritten up to 100,000 times. In addition, the discs can be used just like a hard drive, which means you can drag and drop data to and from the disc without having to finalise it, and programs can even be installed onto it. Of course, it will only be readable in drives that support DVD-RAM.
The SW9585C's supports 4X double layer burning. It created a disc that was playable in our older Pioneer 106D DVD burner and our Zensonic Z330 DVD player.
We didn't have any problems with any of its DVD burning or read functions, although when it came time to rip a music CD the drive proved slower than most others we have looked at. Music CD rips took close to 10 minutes.
This drive is one of the few that uses the PCAV method for reading DVD discs, and its real world performance proved very good. Its DVD-R read performance in particular was very quick.
It's also one of few drives to use the CLV method, instead of the CAV method, for writing DVDs. Its write performance was average for DVD+R and DVD+R DL media, while its DVD-R time was rather slower than many of the other drives we have tested.
Join the newsletter!
Ballistix Sport AT
Samsung QLED 8K TV
Cartier Calibre de Cartier Diver Watch
Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 3000
Apple iMac Pro
Bang and Olufsen Beoplay A9 Speaker
Toys for Boys
Little Bits DROID Inventor Kit
ESET Internet Security
Tivoli PAL BT
ESET Cyber Security Pro for Mac
Osmo Coding Awbie Game
Nix Pro Colour Sensor
ESET Smart Security Premium
Oregon Pro WMR500 Weather Station
Ultimate Ears Wonderboom Bluetooth Speaker
TimeFlip Magnet Simple Time Tracking Device
SmartLens - Clip on Phone Camera Lens Set of 3
Ikea RIGGAD work lamp with wireless charging
Naztech Xtra Drive Mini + 256GB microSD Card
Developing data science skills is one of the best things that you can do for your career.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R17 Pro review: Oppo's thriftiest flagship yet drives a hard bargain
- 2 Nokia 7.1 review: A modest and modern mid-tier option
- 3 Tenda Nova MW6 review: A gateway drug for mesh Wi-Fi
- 4 Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: Expensive, but probably the best phone you can buy right now
- 5 Apple iPhone XS review: Astonishment at a price
Latest News Articles
- QNAP introduces new HS-453DX silent NAS
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1819+ and RackStation RS1619xs+
- OVH and MyRepublic partner to improve connectivity for Australian gamers
- Norton Secure VPN adds New Zealand server
- Western Digital releases new WD Gaming Drive
PCW Evaluation Team
Microsoft Office continues to make a student’s life that little bit easier by offering reliable, easy to use, time-saving functionality, while continuing to develop new features that further enhance what is already a formidable collection of applications
I’d recommend a Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 and the new Windows 10 to anyone who needs to get serious work done (before you kick back on your couch with your favourite Netflix show.)
It’s useful for office tasks as well as pragmatic labelling of equipment and storage – just don’t get too excited and label everything in sight!
The Brother MFC-L8900CDW is an absolute stand out. I struggle to fault it.
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
- PC World 2018 Editor's Choice Awards
- Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: Full, in-depth, Australian review
- Razer Phone 2 review: One for the fans
- Everything you need to know about Smart TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?