Panda Internet Security 2010
Panda Internet Security 2010 has good extras, but falls short
- Strong signature-based malware detection, plenty of features
- Lacklustre detection of new malware, complicated interface
Panda Internet Security 2010's interface needs some work, and its detection of new malware doesn't keep pace with the top performers.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
Panda Internet Security 2010 includes all the basic features, plus some extras such as 2GB of online backup and the ability to protect USB devices. Despite its wealth of features, its detection of unknown malware falls short.
The Panda Internet Security 2010 interface is more complicated than it needs to be, using multiple combinations of both tabs and grouped items; this makes it confusing at first. That said, the configuration settings are easy to navigate, and are just one click away from the main screen.
The antispam feature adds a toolbar and a spam folder to Outlook and Outlook Express. Its backup feature can back up by file type (such as photos, Office documents, or internet favourites) or by selected folders or drives, and you can back up to Panda's online backup service. The parental controls require an account for each individual; by logging in, you activate the security set for that individual.
In our tests, Panda Internet Security 2010 did a good job of cleaning up infections. It detected all active infections on our test PC, rendered 93 percent of infections inert, and completely removed all files and Registry changes for 33 percent of infections (the removal rate is a little low, but no suite we tested completely removed every trace of malware). But Panda was only mediocre at detecting and cleaning up rootkits.
Panda Internet Security 2010 detected 93 percent of active rootkits and 80 percent of inactive rootkits. It was able to completely remove only 87 percent of this particularly stealthy malware. Our top performer was able to detect and remove all rootkits.
Panda Internet Security 2010's detection of new, unknown threats based on how they behave on a PC was unimpressive. It detected 73 percent of our samples, blocked 53 percent, and removed 33 percent. This is a hot area in PC security, as so-called zero-day attacks are becoming more frequent. The best performers managed to block over 90 percent of threats, but only Norton scored a perfect 100 percent in this category.
In detecting malware using traditional signature files, Panda Internet Security 2010 boasted a 99.8 percent detection rate. This means that Panda should be effective at detecting older malware - but since new malware outbreaks occur so frequently, traditional signature-based detection is less important than it once was.
Panda Internet Security 2010 slowed down boot times; our test system took 54.58 seconds to boot with Panda's suite installed. The sluggishness didn't persist, with Panda having minimal drag during ordinary tasks such as copying or creating files in Microsoft Office. Scan speeds were significantly slower than average; Panda took 5 minutes, 30 seconds to scan 4.5GB of data in on-access scanning tests that show how quickly the software can scan files when they are opened or saved to disk. The fastest-scanning suite completed the test in 2 minutes, 51 seconds.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google WiFi review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Sony Xperia XZ Premium phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Blackberry KEYone phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- AMD, Nvidia coin mining graphics cards appear as gaming GPU shortage intensifies
- How to secure your CMS without patching
- Kogan hones in on NBN market through Vodafone deal
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Linksys Velop mesh WiFi review
- D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- Google WiFi review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTProject Manager-Rail/ Telecommunication /Electrical engineeringOther
- FTProject Manager (Service Management)SA
- CCSharePoint SpecialistNSW
- FTDevops Automation EngineerVIC
- CCTalend Open Studio Data Integration ConsultantNSW
- FTAGILE Implementation Manager ContractOther
- FTSAP Solution ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst, WealthNSW
- FTReporting Analyst / Admin Support - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTSenior Agile Business AnalystOther
- FTPerformance TesterOther
- TPTest AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Technical Consultant (Cloud)Other
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- TPStakeholder Engagement Specialist - Change Manager - HealthQLD
- TPSenior/Lead AEM DeveloperNSW
- CCExecutive Desktop SupportWA
- CCCore Java Front End DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Software Developer (x3)Other
- FTNSO DeveloperOther
- CCCognos Lead / Cognos Developer - CANBERRA BASEDNSW
- CCSAP Hana DeveloperACT
- FTTechnical Lead - .NetQLD
- FTSecurity Engineer (IPS & Firewall exp essential) - Perm - IT Services - SydneyNSW