Panda Internet Security 2010
Panda Internet Security 2010 has good extras, but falls short
- Strong signature-based malware detection, plenty of features
- Lacklustre detection of new malware, complicated interface
Panda Internet Security 2010's interface needs some work, and its detection of new malware doesn't keep pace with the top performers.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
Panda Internet Security 2010 includes all the basic features, plus some extras such as 2GB of online backup and the ability to protect USB devices. Despite its wealth of features, its detection of unknown malware falls short.
The Panda Internet Security 2010 interface is more complicated than it needs to be, using multiple combinations of both tabs and grouped items; this makes it confusing at first. That said, the configuration settings are easy to navigate, and are just one click away from the main screen.
The antispam feature adds a toolbar and a spam folder to Outlook and Outlook Express. Its backup feature can back up by file type (such as photos, Office documents, or internet favourites) or by selected folders or drives, and you can back up to Panda's online backup service. The parental controls require an account for each individual; by logging in, you activate the security set for that individual.
In our tests, Panda Internet Security 2010 did a good job of cleaning up infections. It detected all active infections on our test PC, rendered 93 percent of infections inert, and completely removed all files and Registry changes for 33 percent of infections (the removal rate is a little low, but no suite we tested completely removed every trace of malware). But Panda was only mediocre at detecting and cleaning up rootkits.
Panda Internet Security 2010 detected 93 percent of active rootkits and 80 percent of inactive rootkits. It was able to completely remove only 87 percent of this particularly stealthy malware. Our top performer was able to detect and remove all rootkits.
Panda Internet Security 2010's detection of new, unknown threats based on how they behave on a PC was unimpressive. It detected 73 percent of our samples, blocked 53 percent, and removed 33 percent. This is a hot area in PC security, as so-called zero-day attacks are becoming more frequent. The best performers managed to block over 90 percent of threats, but only Norton scored a perfect 100 percent in this category.
In detecting malware using traditional signature files, Panda Internet Security 2010 boasted a 99.8 percent detection rate. This means that Panda should be effective at detecting older malware - but since new malware outbreaks occur so frequently, traditional signature-based detection is less important than it once was.
Panda Internet Security 2010 slowed down boot times; our test system took 54.58 seconds to boot with Panda's suite installed. The sluggishness didn't persist, with Panda having minimal drag during ordinary tasks such as copying or creating files in Microsoft Office. Scan speeds were significantly slower than average; Panda took 5 minutes, 30 seconds to scan 4.5GB of data in on-access scanning tests that show how quickly the software can scan files when they are opened or saved to disk. The fastest-scanning suite completed the test in 2 minutes, 51 seconds.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCApplications Support/ DevOps EngineerQLD
- FTImplementation Engineer - Cisco UCSWA
- FTEnterprise Architect - BusinessQLD
- FTIntegration and Implementation SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - Higher EducationVIC
- FTiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCService DeskSA
- TPDatawarehouse Analyst/DeveloperSA
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTSupport OfficerSA
- TPProject Manager - ProcurementQLD
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTTest AnalystSA
- FTPMO LeadNSW
- FTNetwork AdministratorQLD
- CCSenior Procurement SpecialistVIC
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst (Data Analytics & Systems) - Contract - SydneyNSW
- FTProject Manager Performance & ControlsQLD
- CCData AnalystNSW
- CCSalesforce Marketing CloudNSW
- TPBusiness Intelligence Test ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Business Analyst/Project Manager | PermanentQLD