An iPhone- and iPod-compatible Bluetooth hands-free car kit.
- Hole- and screw-free installation, wireless remote control (steering wheel or dash mount), removable colour display, sound quality of voice and music, supports multiple music sources, automatic phonebook synchronisation, voice recognition
- Lack of confirmation when voice dialling, voice recognition isn't perfect
The MKi9200 is an exceptional car kit, especially for iPhone owners. Excellent audio quality, voice recognition technology and the ability to connect to a wide range of music sources make this an all-round winner.
Price$ 479.00 (AUD)
A fully fledged Bluetooth hands-free car kit, Parrot's range-topping MKi9200 offers full compatibility with the Apple iPod range as well as the iPhone 3G. In addition to providing hands-free calling via your car's speakers, it connects to a range of music devices — including iPods, iPhones, USB keys, MP3 players, A2DP Bluetooth devices and anything featuring a standard line-in jack.
Although it may sound complicated at first, the MKi9200 is a pretty simple device. It consists of five main components — an amplifier that is installed inside your dashboard, an external dual microphone, a 2.4in colour display, an iPod/USB/line-in cable, and a wireless remote control. The MKi9200 needs to be installed by a professional, which should take approximately an hour and a half depending on your vehicle. Importantly, the installation is completely screw and hole free, meaning if you want to remove the unit down the track it won't leave any visible marks or holes.
The five components of the MKi9200 are installed in different places (with the exception of the amplifier) depending on the size of your vehicle's cabin and your requirements. For our installation, the microphone was wired at the front of the roof lining and the display was placed to the right of the steering wheel on the dash. Usually the iPod/USB/line-in cable is wired to the glove box, but if you have other compartments in your vehicle this can be adjusted to suit your needs. The amplifier, essentially the brains of the unit and where all the components are connected, is installed behind or underneath your dash, away from view.
Once installed and connected, the MKi9200 automatically powers on when you start your car. As this is a hands-free kit first and foremost, you'll need to pair your Bluetooth phone to the unit — a simple process that takes less than a minute. After being paired with a phone for the first time, the MKi9200 will automatically recognise and connect to it as soon as it's powered on. When connected, the LCD will display your phone's network and a reception bar indicator.
The critical component of the MKi9200 is the amplifier — this allows the unit to bypass your car stereo. For example, if you are listening to the radio and a call comes in, the radio is muted and your ring tone is played through you car's speakers. Conveniently, the MKi9200 synchronises with your phonebook and reads a caller's name. The unit will automatically synchronise your contacts and phone numbers each time a new entry is detected.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
- Google's Pixel Launcher leak hints at the demise of the Nexus brand
- It's official: iOS 10 launches with huge improvements to iMessage, Apple Music, Siri, and more
- Samsung is prepping a software update to cap Note7 charging to 60 percent
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Moto G5 smartphone: full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- FTTest AnalystACT
- TPBI ConsultantNSW
- FTDIRECTOR PROJECT DELIVERY, WELLINGTONNZ
- FTSharepoint AdministratorQLD
- FTChange & Release ManagerACT
- FTSolution ArchitectSA
- FTPrincipal Consultant / Account Delivery Executive.NSW
- FTMobile Apps TesterWA
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Wealth ProductsNSW
- FTCustomer Support Team LeadNSW
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCDevOps EngineerVIC
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTApplication System EngineerACT
- CCApplication PackagerSA
- TPAgile Projet AdministratorVIC
- FTTest EngineerVIC
- CCSAP ISU Functional ConsultantVIC