SafeHouse Explorer can secure your data on all media, protecting it from unwanted prying eyes.
- Free, works on portable drives
- Doesn't offer the same level of protection as SafeHouse Explorer Professional Edition
SafeHouse also comes in a Personal Edition ($44.35) or the Professional Edition, both of which add more functions and features, for greater protection and more convenience. However, the free SafeHouse Explorer provides good basic security on its own for most average users.
The great thing about today's nearly universal connectivity is how easy it is to share information, pictures and other material with your business associates, friends and family. The bad thing about it is how easy it is for strangers to get access to your data. This is especially true when we carry so much on our USB flash drives, DVDs, laptops and other portable media.
SafeHouse installs its own SafeHouse Explorer on any drive or media you indicate. The SafeHouse Explorer uses Windows Explorer's familiar branching tree structure and drag-and-drop functionality. However, the folders (aka volumes) you create in SafeHouse Explorer are password-protected and use 256-bit Twofish encryption. (For stronger 448-bit encryption, you'll need to purchase the $88.71 Professional Edition.)
When creating a new volume, you have the option of having it filled with random data to make it harder to break into. However, that isn't recommended if you intend to email it, because that will make it more difficult to compress the volume to a smaller size.
Then, you copy or move your files to the volume, which can be as large as 2000 gigabytes and is seen as a separate drive letter on both Windows and SafeHouse Explorer.
The option of a Secure Move completely destroys the original data (after copying it to the SafeHouse volume), by overwriting it with random data, before deleting. In that way, you have access to the secured information, but hackers can't use any of the various recover schemes to extract your data from its original location on your drive.
When SafeHouse Explorer is installed on portable media, such as a USB flash drive, the data can be accessed on any computer into which the media are plugged, without SafeHouse having to be installed on the PC.
But it doesn't leave any trail of that data on the hosting computer. What's more, you can easily email secured volumes, and the recipient will be able to open the files — after you supply the password — without installing any software on their systems.
While the basics of SafeHouse Explorer are familiar and straightforward, the support is better than many pricey, much more complicated programs. On installation, you are given the option to go directly to a series of helpful online videos on how the program works.
Join the newsletter!
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 2 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 3 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 4 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 5 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
Latest News Articles
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Square expands Australian offering with Square Stand
- Jobs for NSW backs fintech accelerator
- Open data demands a double-edged sword for fintechs, ANZ says
- Aussie fintech startup secures $US3 million investment funding
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review
- Samsung Gear Sport review: A worthy contender
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- CCInfrastructure Network EngineerVIC
- TPSystems Support AnalystQLD
- FTMobile Developers (Android OR iOS)WA
- CCLean Six Sigma Process Improvement SpecialistNSW
- FTData ScientistOther
- FTSenior Test AnalystOther
- CCGraduate Reporting/Monitoring AnalystQLD
- FTMobile Developers (Android OR iOS)WA
- FTField Services EngineerOther
- CCAgile Project ManagerVIC
- FTJava DeveloperWA
- FTSitecore Developer/ArchitectOther
- CCSenior Solution Architect - BrisbaneVIC
- FTSystems Co-ordinatorOther
- CCJunior Analyst (Law Graduate opportunity)NSW
- CCDevops Engineer - AWS and cloud infrastructureVIC
- FTEPMO Support AnalystWA
- CCOperations Support OfficerVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - PERMANENT -Other
- CCRollout EngineerNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - 6 Month Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperQLD
- TPJava DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Program ManagerNSW