PC Inspector File Recovery
PC Inspector File Recovery is, as the name suggests, a data-recovery program. And it's free.
- Limited functionality
For free it's hard to complain, but PC Inspector is not a panacea for file recovery that the Web site might lead you to believe. Still, we'd give it a shot; if it works you just saved $40 or so.
File recovery programs come in many different flavours. They run the gamut from simple undelete programs that work only under optimal circumstances within Windows up to heavy-duty sector-by-sector scanners that can piece back together files sans file table or partition info.
After reading the advertising, we assumed that freebie PC Inspector File Recovery fell into the latter category.
Alas, PC Inspector File Recovery was clueless when it came to a relatively simple test: recovering data from an NTFS drive that still contained data, but whose partition and file tables had been overwritten.
EasyRecovery Professional, Active @ File Recovery, and R-Studio Data Recovery were all able to pull files off of the same test drive. Of course, those programs aren't free, and PC Inspector File Recovery is.
If your drive used the FAT 32 file system, you might fare a bit better with PC Inspector File Recovery. We were able to recover files whose FAT info was lost as long as the partition info was available. The program also recovered deleted files (that hadn't been overwritten) just fine.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HTC U11 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Gigabyte Aero 15 corporate gaming laptop review
- 3 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 4 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft apologizes after a rogue Windows 10 preview build causes chaos
- Skype's major redesign prioritizes helpful bots and a smart camera over traditional video chats
- All-electric satellites are ushering in zippier in-flight internet access
- Why Microsoft's ARM-based Windows 10 laptops still have a lot to prove
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- MSI GL62M 7RDX gaming laptop review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPHelpDesk Analyst (Access Control Team Leader)ACT
- CCDevOps Engineer/ AdministratorQLD
- CCSenior Drupal DeveloperNSW
- CCCore Java Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCMultiple Project Managers - Networks - TelcoVIC
- FTCloud Project ManagerOther
- FTPeopleSoft Technical Campus Solution DeveloperOther
- TPFront End .NET DeveloperQLD
- TPTest AnalystSA
- FTSenior Software Engineer - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 required!!!!SA
- FTSenior Siebel Integrator/Developer - Canberra/MelbourneOther
- FTProject CoordinatorSA
- FT.Net Developer (WCF & WPF)Other
- FTIT Field Services ManagerOther
- FTSenior Project AnalystOther
- FTBusiness Development Manager - TechnologyACT
- FTSenior HFC EngineerNSW
- FTWeb DeveloperOther
- CCSolaris Migration SpecialistACT
- CCEUS Junior Application Project ManagerNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Solution Designer, Investment PlatformNSW
- FTImplementation Consultant - SMSF SoftwareOther
- FTLinux Support EngineerOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - RetailOther