PC Tools Spyware Doctor 5.0
- Automatic updates does not require any user intervention
- You have to upgrade to antivirus to check for spyware and viruses from incoming e-mail
Spyware Doctor 5.0 continues the good work laid down by its forebears. Indeed, we'd go so far as to suggest that Spyware Doctor might be the best anti-spyware utility available.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
Spyware Doctor 5.0 looks remarkably similar to version 4. Probe a little deeper, however, and the feature set has been noticeably extended.
Spyware Doctor is now able to integrate with other PC Tools products. With this release, there's an optional upgrade to the PC Tools antivirus engine, so that incoming e-mails are checked for spyware and viruses, while the scanner looks for both sorts of malware.
One criticism concerning updates has been addressed. Previously, updates had to be manually initiated, but now it's possible to set up automatic "silent" updates that require no user intervention. This means updates are incremental and download faster.
As before, Spyware Doctor's protection breaks down into two components: an on-demand scanner and a number of real-time monitors.
File scanning has been accelerated thanks to its patent-pending spider-scanning technology. A complete Intelli-scan of 3.5GB of data took just three minutes on our ageing notebook.
At the heart of version 5.0 is OnGuard Protection, which comprises a range of tasked guards: Browser, File, Keylogger, Network, Popup Blocker, Process, Site and Startup.
Each one can be disabled and you can only configure exclusions for Web sites or files. This will prevent new programs initiating automatically with your PC, block programs that collect your keyboard input, stop known malicious programs running and prevent access to malicious sites. The Process Guard can even kill kernel-level spyware processes.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- Intel's Alexis Bjorlin Explains Why Silicon Photonics Matter
- Kingdom Come - Deliverance review: Crusaders and Caveats
- Surviving Mars review: Spreading humanity to the stars isn't easy
- Microsoft tries forcing Mail users to open links in Edge, and people are freaking out
- This week in games: Shadow of the Tomb Raider confirmed, Witcher 3's Geralt joins Soulcalibur VI
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTGraduate Recruiter - Large Blue Chip clientOther
- FTSenior Cost ModellerOther
- CCLead Business AnalystQLD
- CCActive Directory SpecialistNSW
- FTLead Agile BAOther
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- CCJunior Project ManagerVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTPeopleSoft Business AnalystNSW
- FT.NET DeveloperWA
- CCTalend Integration DeveloperOther
- FTSenior .NET Developer / Consultant - Brisbane based (Work from home/client site)QLD
- CCIT Security AnalystACT
- FTNetwork EngineerVIC
- FTPeoplesoft HCM Application DeveloperACT
- CCAgile Coach/LeadNSW
- CCCyber Security Business AnalystACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - RFTVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCDesktop Support Technician - Karratha basedWA
- CCWindows Desk Migration EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTAndroid Developer - 6 Month ContractOther
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- FTTraining & Communications SpecialistOther