Pentax Optio S5z
- Great images, compact, looks stylish
- Lacking some manual controls, a little flimsy
A big improvement on the S55, the S5z has exceptional image quality, a slim design and a reasonable price tag.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
Pentax's Optio S5z is essentially an upgraded version of the S55, which we have also reviewed on the site. For around $100 more you get a host of improved features that are definitely worth the extra money.
The S5z is small, about the size of a deck of cards, with a sleek, metal exterior and a much more minimalist design than the S55. It would please those who like their camera to double as a stylish accessory. It does feel a little more flimsy than some other models of similar design, but it is a big improvement on the previous model nonetheless.
It sports a 2.5" screen which is clear and free of angle-viewing problems. The compact design combined with a large screen results in buttons that are quite cramped. Some users will have a little trouble navigating features without bumping the wrong button by accident.
The controls in the S5z include basic white balance and ISO controls, as well as contrast, saturation and sharpness--but there is not full manual control for things like shutter speed and aperture. There are a bunch of preset shooting modes as well.
This model's picture quality really stands out. The S5z produces some very nice shots for a five megapixel model. Images were incredibly detailed, the colour rich and the edges sharp. They looked wonderful. There was perhaps a small amount of blurring at the edges, but it really didn't detract much from the picture.
The five or six-second flash recharge delay that irritated us with the S55 is also all but gone. The S5z suffers no such problem, and downtime between shots is barely noticeable.
The S5z runs off a rechargeable lithium ion battery, instead of AAs.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Dyno Introduces Modular, Motorized Camera Slider System for GoPros, Small Cameras and Smartphones
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixelbook, Google Home Mini & Max: Everything Announced At Today’s Google Event
- Google Certifies Insta360 Pro as First ‘Street View Auto Ready’ Camera
- Noir Matter Introduces waterproof stabiliser for GoPro & other action cameras
- Sony’s New RX10 IV combines Fast AF and 24 FPS continuous shooting with 24-600mm F2.4-F4 Zoom Lens
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSCOM SpecialistQLD
- CCIseries Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTScrum MasterOther
- FTService ManagerOther
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - IntegrationNSW
- FTProgram Manager - SaaSQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - AMLOther
- CCTest Analyst - Intermediate LevelNSW
- FT.Net Developers (.Net / C# / Visual Studio)ACT
- FTPega / BPM DevelopersACT
- TPSenior DBAVIC
- FTSoftware Developer - Delphi, VMS, FortranOther
- FTSenior Digital Producer | 6 Month Contract roleNSW
- FTGraduate Software Developer - Front EndWA
- FTEAI DeveloperACT
- FTTest Analyst / Engineer (Cloud / O365 migration)Other
- TPFront End DeveloperWA
- TP.Net Web DeveloperSA
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTDevOps Engineer/ LeadOther
- FTChange Lead- Strategic Implementation & Transformation ProjectsOther
- FTRPA DeveloperOther
- FTSCCM Systems AdministratorOther
- CCInfrastructure SMENSW
- FTSenior Systems Engineer/Veeam SpecialistOther