High-speed storage for hi-res photos and videos
Philips Acoustic Fusion 3310
- Great sound reproduction, excellent bass
- Not as visually attractive as other similar systems
A sublime speaker system well worth considering if budget permits.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
The Philips Acoustic Fusion 310 produce impressive sound from a fairly small package and in doing so display how good PC speakers can really be. Using the latest in flat panel speaker technology, the Acoustic Fusion reproduces sound accurately without falling victim to the usual speaker pitfalls.
The first thing we noticed when we unpacked the speaker system was the petite nature of the product. The 6w speakers are small and the 20w subwoofer doesn't look anywhere near as powerful as it turned out to be. However once we actually set the system up we were pleasantly surprised by the test results. Setup itself was a breeze, with clearly labeled inputs for all the wiring and the usual colour coded 3.5mm jack to connect to the source device.
We tested the bass using a selection of R&B tracks as well as Nick Caves "Song of Joy" with favourable results. In the lower bass registers, the subwoofer belts out accurate thumping bass without losing detail or becoming muddy or muted.
We also tested the treble using a selection of string-heavy film scores and Howard Shores Main title theme from "Ed Wood" which boasts extensive use of the Theremin. This intense treble workout was handled with ease by the Acoustic Fusion, with clear notes in the higher treble registers without any loss of information or truncation.
Violent pitch changes were tested with the Radiohead track "Idioteque" without any problems and the mid-tones were consistent with every test we performed. In fact, throughout all the tests, the Acoustic Fusion maintained a high volume level without distortion while also handling quieter moments with precision.
The only flaw that we could find is really more of a subjective design observation. We found the speaker design to be rather utilitarian when compared with the sexy Philips MMS430. With the Acoustic Fusion, function definitely outweighs form.
While those looking for a great set of speakers would be wise to consider what the Acoustic Fusion 310 have to offer, prospective buyers should keep in mind that these are little more expensive than the MMS430 and deliver only marginally better sound.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P30 review: How badly do you need a headphone jack?
- 2 Moto G7 Plus review: Better where it counts
- 3 Nokia 9 PureView review: A flawed, ambitious, endearing flagship
- 4 Google Pixel 3a review: Less is more
- 5 Oppo A5Xs review: Cutting corners
Latest News Articles
- Roccat tease new Kain gaming mice
- Computex 2019: Micron show off new Crucial RAM modules for high-speed computing
- Computex 2019: CoolerMaster trim the fat from their MM710 gaming mouse
- Computex 2019: Razer roll out interoperability between Chroma and other RGB lighting ecosystems
- Computex 2019: SteelSeries unveil adjustable actuation gaming keyboard
PCW Evaluation Team
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
Microsoft Office continues to make a student’s life that little bit easier by offering reliable, easy to use, time-saving functionality, while continuing to develop new features that further enhance what is already a formidable collection of applications
I’d recommend a Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 and the new Windows 10 to anyone who needs to get serious work done (before you kick back on your couch with your favourite Netflix show.)
It’s useful for office tasks as well as pragmatic labelling of equipment and storage – just don’t get too excited and label everything in sight!
- Everything you need to know before you buy a 5G phone in Australia
- Huawei P30 Pro: Full, in-depth review
- Computex 2019
- Everything you need to know about Smart TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?