MSI has long pushed the boundaries of invention with its ever-evolving range of laptops but it has now pulled off a world first with the new MSI Creative 17.
- Robust file support, supports both DVD-r and DVD+R discs, G-code support.
- No easy way to edit video, no Dixv6.0 or Divx HD support.
The Philips DVD-R3365 image quality is average, but this recorder is attractively priced and easy to use, with support for G-codes.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Even though Philips is one of the companies behind the DVD+R format, the DVDR3365 can record to DVD-R/RW discs as well as to DVD+R/RW. This gesture toward detente in the DVD wars doesn't seem to have extended to the manual, however: While DVD+R receives extensive coverage, DVD-R is mentioned only in the specifications section.
The DVDR3365 can also play both DivX and other types of MPEG-4 files, a huge plus if you want to play videos that you downloaded from the Internet or encoded yourself using those formats. On the other hand, it doesn't support the recently released Divx 6.0 format or Divx HD.
We found the image quality of recorded video adequate but not impressive. Colours looked rather dull, and the lack of shadow detail made the video seem somewhat gloomy and flat. However, details were well reproduced. We saw few compression artifacts and little dithering. Recorded video was a pleasure to watch, though not as good as the video recorded by other leading player/recorders.
One big omission: There's no easy way to edit video. The unit cannot remove a section of video (such as a commercial break) without defining chapter points at the beginning and end and then deleting the chapter. This process is significantly more labor-intensive than the A-B editing that many other players offer.
The Philips also supports G-codes. Naturally, that feature makes scheduling recordings much easier: Instead of entering the time and date of a program, you just enter the broadcast's three- to six-digit G-code (you can find these in the newspaper or TV Guide). The recorder works out the time, date, and channel from the code.
We found the DVDR3365 easy to control, with a small but well-designed remote. Although most of the keys are the same size, the most commonly used ones (such as play, record and the directional keys of the on-screen menu) fall naturally under the thumb and are relatively easy to find by touch.
At this price, the DVDR3365 costs significantly less expensive than most of the recorders we have tested and the vendor's inclusion of VCR Plus+ codes makes this model a good replacement for an aging VHS deck.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo Find X3 Pro review: An all around performer with a touch of class
- 2 MSI GS66 Stealth (2021) review: A gaming powerhouse with 300Hz display
- 3 Jackery Explorer 1000 Portable Power Station review: Good for venturing off the grid
- 4 Dynabook Portégé X30W-J – a very good all-rounder
- 5 Realme 7 Pro review: Further progress
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV+ free trial reduced from one year to 3 months
- tvOS 15: Sharing, suggestions, Spatial Audio, and more
- Apple Music to launch Spatial Audio radio station following WWDC keynote
- The Apple TV app is now available on every competing streaming box
- AirPods Pro refresh with high-end fitness features might not arrive until 2022
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- Best Amazon Prime Day deals for Australia in 2021
- Best Australian EOFY 2021 Laptop Deals
- Six headphone deals to consider for Australia's EOFY 2021
- Everything you need to know about Smart TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?