- Simple and easy to use, Effective recording capabilities
- Expensive, No way to back up recordings, Limited features, Awkward interface
A pricey option, this is a product that should appeal to users who are only looking for a unit with twin high definition tuners and a hard drive.
Price$ 849.95 (AUD)
Philips' DVR5100 is a capable device for users looking for high definition digital reception and recording functionality. However, its relatively limited list of functions combined with a high price, make it an unsuitable choice for a majority of users. Lacking DVD support, its overall usability is quite limited. Dual high definition tuners and a 160GB hard drive make it an adequate recording device, but it's hampered by its interface.
Digital TV reception on the DVR5100 is quite good, and it picked up all local channels quite quickly. Image quality was respectable, without noticeable flaws in either standard or high definition video. It's a good option for those without an integrated digital tuner in their current TV; most users who have recently purchased a new TV will find that it comes equipped with digital reception. Nevertheless, the dual tuners and high definition capabilities make it an attractive product for those looking for something extra.
Recording is quite streamlined, although at the same time lacking advanced options. One-touch recording works well, with the DVR5100 automatically setting the recording to end at the end of the program. Similarly, recording can easily be set to stop after a pre-determined time, adjustable in half-hour intervals up to six hours. Users concerned that the 160GB hard drive might not be large enough for their needs should also be aware that the Philips DVR7100 is available, which ships with a larger 250GB hard drive. One of the only downsides is the lack of a way to get recordings off the hard drive. Without a DVD recorder, Ethernet, or USB support, recordings can't be saved to other media, forcing users to delete recordings if more space is required.
The included time-shift buffer, an almost required feature on set-top boxes these days, works well, giving users the ability to pause live TV. A slight downside is that the time-shift buffer must be manually started, meaning that users don't have the ability to spontaneously rewind live TV. Apart from that, it's one of the better time-shift buffers we've seen, for its simplicity; it helps to make the DVR5100 an attractive product for inexperienced users.
The timer function is similar in its functionality and ease of use; it works well and is simple enough to be operated by almost anyone. Combined with the time-shift buffer and dual tuners, it makes the DVR5100 a useful and functional recording unit.
One let-down of the DVR5100 is its interface. Continuing the trend of simplicity, it unfortunately serves to make things harder to use rather than easier. Setting up a favourites menu (a very important feature, with digital TV's multitude of channels) is an awkward and almost hidden process. We also found several options to be missing or limited; the lack of adjustable recording modes is one of the most notable.
Overall, despite a few omissions and oversimplifications, the DVR5100 is a highly functional device, but unfortunately, one which still fails to justify its high asking price. Those in the market for a dual high definition tuner set-top box with the ability to record programs to a hard drive will be well-served by the DVR5100, but others will be more likely to find better value in other products.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSCOM SpecialistQLD
- CCIseries Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTScrum MasterOther
- FTService ManagerOther
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - IntegrationNSW
- FTProgram Manager - SaaSQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - AMLOther
- CCTest Analyst - Intermediate LevelNSW
- FT.Net Developers (.Net / C# / Visual Studio)ACT
- FTPega / BPM DevelopersACT
- TPSenior DBAVIC
- FTSoftware Developer - Delphi, VMS, FortranOther
- FTSenior Digital Producer | 6 Month Contract roleNSW
- FTGraduate Software Developer - Front EndWA
- FTEAI DeveloperACT
- FTTest Analyst / Engineer (Cloud / O365 migration)Other
- TPFront End DeveloperWA
- TP.Net Web DeveloperSA
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTDevOps Engineer/ LeadOther
- FTChange Lead- Strategic Implementation & Transformation ProjectsOther
- FTRPA DeveloperOther
- FTSCCM Systems AdministratorOther
- CCInfrastructure SMENSW
- FTSenior Systems Engineer/Veeam SpecialistOther