Phitek BlackBox M14 noise-cancelling headphones
These noise-cancelling headphones block out a lot of ambient noise, but sound closed in
- Good active noise cancellation, comfortable, quality finish
- Audio feels closed-in, expensive, require AAA batteries
If you can afford them, BlackBox's M14 noise-cancelling headphones do a good job of blocking out unwanted background sounds. Audio occasionally feels closed-in and not as expansive as we'd hoped, however.
Price$ 374.95 (AUD)
The Phitek BlackBox M14 closed headphones deliver active noise cancellation powered by a single AAA battery. They are well constructed and reasonably comfortable for long-term listening sessions, and their sound is versatile enough for a range of musical styles. Audio can feel closed-in at times due to the design, but if you can live with this then you'll be pleased with these headphones.
Phitek is a long-term player in the active noise cancellation market and supplies noise-cancelling headphones to Singapore Airlines' first-class passengers. The BlackBox M14 is one of the company's first consumer-oriented products.
With a combination of rubberised and painted plastic for the ear-cups and soft leatherette for the ear-pads and headband, the BlackBox M14 headphones feel well constructed. The oval-shaped ear-cups take a few seconds to adjust on your ears, but the telescoping headband makes fitting the headphones easy. At 180g these headphones are light enough to wear for long periods, although the leatherette finish does get sweaty after a while — so quick breaks might be required.
Noise cancelling is activated by a switch on the left ear-cup. Phitek claims the headphones offer a reduction of up to 22dB on sub-1kHz frequencies — as with most active noise-cancelling solutions low frequency noise is effectively eliminated but higher frequencies are harder to equalise. The noise cancelling is quite effective, successfully removing the ambient noise in an office environment without adversely affecting audio quality. A very slight high frequency hiss was introduced but it was only audible when no music was playing.
Sound quality from the Phitek BlackBox M14 headphones is good, with bass and higher treble frequencies well covered. These headphones have a lively sound, with mid-range that is slightly recessed in favour of deep bass kicks and clean treble. The soundstage of the headphones is not as expansive as we were hoping. It's common for closed active noise cancelling headphones to exhibit a "canned" sound; while it's more than bearable we would have preferred the BlackBox M14 headphones to have more detailed stereo imaging.
According to Phitek an AAA battery is good for 40 hours of noise cancelling, so you won't be changing batteries daily. You will need to remember to switch them off, however, or replacing batteries could become a costly endeavour.
If you can afford them (and the ongoing running costs), Phitek's BlackBox M14 headphones do a good job of blocking out background noise and provide adequate sound quality.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 LG V30+ Review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
Latest News Articles
- Judge paves the way for British hacker's extradition to US
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTProject Administrator/CoordinatorSA
- FTProject Manager, Relocation, Fitout & ConstructionOther
- FTJunior level .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTPMO ManagerNSW
- FTAgile Business AnalystQLD
- FTRisk Manager x 2Other
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTField EngineerOther
- FTCommunications ManagerOther
- FTDigital Content ProducerOther
- CCTririga DeveloperVIC
- FTPeopleSoft Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager (Part Time)Other
- FTCommunications ManagerOther
- FTInfrastructure Delivery ManagerOther
- FTSupply Chain or Logistic IT Business Analysts - MULTIPLE ROLESOther
- FTJunior Project Managers - x2Other
- TPSAP Project ManagerQLD
- CCJava DeveloperWA
- FTCheckpoint Engineers wantedVIC
- FTSenior Infrastructure EngineerOther
- FTMQ Broker IIB AdministratorACT
- FTAssociate - Case ManagementOther
- TPEnterprise Architect | Services | QLD Health | $1173/dayQLD