Phitek BlackBox M14 noise-cancelling headphones
These noise-cancelling headphones block out a lot of ambient noise, but sound closed in
- Good active noise cancellation, comfortable, quality finish
- Audio feels closed-in, expensive, require AAA batteries
If you can afford them, BlackBox's M14 noise-cancelling headphones do a good job of blocking out unwanted background sounds. Audio occasionally feels closed-in and not as expansive as we'd hoped, however.
Price$ 374.95 (AUD)
The Phitek BlackBox M14 closed headphones deliver active noise cancellation powered by a single AAA battery. They are well constructed and reasonably comfortable for long-term listening sessions, and their sound is versatile enough for a range of musical styles. Audio can feel closed-in at times due to the design, but if you can live with this then you'll be pleased with these headphones.
Phitek is a long-term player in the active noise cancellation market and supplies noise-cancelling headphones to Singapore Airlines' first-class passengers. The BlackBox M14 is one of the company's first consumer-oriented products.
With a combination of rubberised and painted plastic for the ear-cups and soft leatherette for the ear-pads and headband, the BlackBox M14 headphones feel well constructed. The oval-shaped ear-cups take a few seconds to adjust on your ears, but the telescoping headband makes fitting the headphones easy. At 180g these headphones are light enough to wear for long periods, although the leatherette finish does get sweaty after a while — so quick breaks might be required.
Noise cancelling is activated by a switch on the left ear-cup. Phitek claims the headphones offer a reduction of up to 22dB on sub-1kHz frequencies — as with most active noise-cancelling solutions low frequency noise is effectively eliminated but higher frequencies are harder to equalise. The noise cancelling is quite effective, successfully removing the ambient noise in an office environment without adversely affecting audio quality. A very slight high frequency hiss was introduced but it was only audible when no music was playing.
Sound quality from the Phitek BlackBox M14 headphones is good, with bass and higher treble frequencies well covered. These headphones have a lively sound, with mid-range that is slightly recessed in favour of deep bass kicks and clean treble. The soundstage of the headphones is not as expansive as we were hoping. It's common for closed active noise cancelling headphones to exhibit a "canned" sound; while it's more than bearable we would have preferred the BlackBox M14 headphones to have more detailed stereo imaging.
According to Phitek an AAA battery is good for 40 hours of noise cancelling, so you won't be changing batteries daily. You will need to remember to switch them off, however, or replacing batteries could become a costly endeavour.
If you can afford them (and the ongoing running costs), Phitek's BlackBox M14 headphones do a good job of blocking out background noise and provide adequate sound quality.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Judge paves the way for British hacker's extradition to US
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- The simple RAM buying guide
- MSI GE62 7RD Apache gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTLead Senior Systems Engineer | 90 - 120K + Super|VIC
- FTP3O SpecialistACT
- FTTeam Leader Solution DeliveryQLD
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksACT
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksVIC
- CCData Migration Lead | Recruitment Focus | DocklandsVIC
- CCPega DeveloperVIC
- FTData Analyst / Reporting SpecialistNSW
- CCSharepoint DeveloperNSW
- FTUnix EngineerACT
- FTUrgent -Java Developer (Programmer). 3 different positionsACT
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTService Desk Analyst Level 1 SupportQLD
- TPDelivery Coordinator - ProjectsQLD
- FTUAT CoordinatorQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst / Test CoordinatorQLD
- FTAccounts and Office AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSupport Analyst - TallymanVIC
- FTDigital Developer | LAMP Stack | Digital AgencyNSW
- FTBusiness Process ConsultantNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- TPServiceNow ConsultantVIC