Pinnacle Studio Plus 10
- Simple to use
- Too many crashes
Studio Plus 10 is very easy to use, and you’d hardly wish for much more in features, especially given the low price. But it crashes far too often, even for a demanding video editing application.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
The launch of a new version of Pinnacle Studio is often followed by reports of program instability and crashes that take a hefty software update to sort out, and the latest version looks to be no different.
That's too bad, because this new $199 software program adds several unique and interesting features, including compatibility with high-definition recordings and the ability to import movies from non-copy-protected DVDs.
You can use Studio Plus 10 to import footage from camcorders that record in the high-definition HDV format. I imported captured HDV footage into the program, and could manipulate it almost as easily as standard-definition DV footage. You can also import the video object (VOB) files of DVD movies, as long as they aren't copy-protected, even preserving chapters. The application has the ability to import MPEG footage from DVD-based camcorders, as well.
Studio Plus 10 adds keyframing capability to all effects, letting you apply them over time. For example, you can implement a blur gradually and then dissipate it gradually. You can also apply keyframing to multiple effects independently. And this new version has a check box that tells the application to hide most - though not all - of its extra-cost effects, transitions, and codecs. In Studio Plus 9, it was too easy to click on one of these components accidentally, which would force you to wait while a browser window opened and tried to sell you an activation key for it.
The application creates a DVD pretty quickly from standard DV footage. I created similar 20-minute projects using Adobe Premiere Elements 2 and Studio Plus 10; Studio Plus took roughly an hour and a half to finish - about half the time that Premiere Elements needed.
A nice new feature lets you slow the playback of an audio track, but maintain its pitch; this can help you match the length of the audio to a too-short video clip. But other audio features don't work as well: if you apply fades to bring the volume up and then take it back down gradually, then adjust the length of the clip, Studio will delete the fades, requiring you to redo them. Pinnacle says it may change this in an update. Who said 'cut'?
We tried Studio Plus 10 on two different PCs and had major stability problems with it on both of them. Once, the program reported it had run out of memory (on a computer with 1GB of RAM), but hey, no worries - it said it would save my project. (It didn't.) Adding insult to injury: every time Studio Plus crashes, it plants a dialogue box in the middle of your screen that stays for 30 to 45 seconds, after which you must click a button to send or not send a crash report to Pinnacle. You can't dismiss the nagging dialogue box any earlier, you can't prevent it from showing up, and you can't restart the application until this routine is thoroughly completed.
Join the newsletter!
Featuring a high capacity ink tank system, that completely removes the need for cartridges - it comes with up to 2 years of ink in the box
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- Surviving Mars review: Spreading humanity to the stars isn't easy
- Microsoft tries forcing Mail users to open links in Edge, and people are freaking out
- This week in games: Shadow of the Tomb Raider confirmed, Witcher 3's Geralt joins Soulcalibur VI
- Record your travels for cheap with this $30 dash cam
- In Pictures: Netgear launch the Nighthawk XR500 gaming router
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- TPProject Support Officer - Mulitple RolesQLD
- FTSenior Data ModellerNSW
- FTOracle DeveloperWA
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- CCAutomation Test EngineerQLD
- FTHR System ConsultantOther
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTSenior Infrastructure EngineerOther
- CCHR Coordinator - TelcoVIC
- FTAssociate - Case ManagementOther
- FTDesktop Support Engineer - Onsite - UrgentOther
- TPChange Lead | UtilitiesQLD
- CCScrum Master - Online DigitalVIC
- CCiOS Developer - Brisbane locationVIC
- FTAccount Security Manager - Permanent - Sydney RegionNSW
- FTDesktop Engineer (Windows 10)Other
- FTSenior Project Managers (Multiple roles)Other
- CCSAP DevelopersNSW
- CCData AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Applications SpecialistQLD
- CCJunior ? Mid Level Test LeadQLD
- CCStorage EngineerNSW
- CCCyber Security Business AnalystACT