Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 11.0
- Supports AVCHD format, user-friendly interface, enhanced Internet export techniques
- Video effects and features are mostly identical to previous version, HD editing capabilities are only relevant if you own a HD camera
Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 11.0 offers enhanced HD support and easier methods for transferring footage to both portable devices and the Internet. For an enthusiast, this product offers a good bundle of features and extras for the price.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
There are now three main players on the home video-editing stage -- Ulead Videostudio, Adobe Premiere Elements and Pinnacle Studio. Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 11.0 is owned by Avid, a leader in professional video editing, and this version sees some high-end additions borrowed from its experience in the industry.
The main area that all home video-editing software is concentrating on is high definition, which is the road most camcorder manufactures are currently taking. For most users, there's probably no need to update existing software until HD becomes more prevalent. But should you be one of the rare breed of video editor who's already becoming immersed in HD, Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 11.0 is a top-of-the-range package aimed directly at you.
HD input and output is now fully supported. As does Ulead Videostudio, Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 11.0 offers support for AVCHD (Advanced Video Codec High Definition) format files, which were introduced by Sony and Panasonic. This means that your HD files will take up less storage space on disc.
It's worth noting that, while you may be editing HD files, you may not have an HD recorder to allow you to write your finished movies to disc. Pinnacle has thought of this and Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 11.0 allows you to store around 30 minutes worth of HD footage on an ordinary DVD, which can then be played back with an HD-DVD player.
If your interests lie more in putting video clips and movies online or on to a portable device, then your needs are catered for equally well by Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 11.0. It now supports output to an iPod or PSP (PlayStation Portable), and the Web interface has been improved so you can export your films directly using the Yahoo Videos service. Choosing how your video will be output is simply a matter of selecting the type of format you want to record your video to, choosing the quality setting and then selecting the file type.
Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 11.0's main interface includes three tabs, each of which controls the key parts of the software -- Capture, Edit and Make Movie. This has been tidied up and it's a lot easier to work with than Adobe's Premiere Elements. Most tweaks are minor, however.
One area that is a real bonus, and one we're surprised we haven't seen in other software of this type, is the ability to capitalise on the extra space provided by widescreen displays. As most modern PCs come with these, it makes sense that such software should use every last inch to display the many windows involved in such a complicated process as editing home video. All you need to do to use your widescreen display to the full is to slide the appropriate control bar. All the windows and toolbars will automatically resize.
Another nice touch in Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 11.0 is the enhanced SmartSound feature that allows you to add a soundtrack to your film. You could easily find these a little tacky, but the software does make them easier to add. If you want sound with your pictures then Studio is good choice.
Extras bundled in the Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 11.0 package include advanced BIAS SoundSoap sound cleaning and Dolby 5.1 encoding, extra special effects, precision pan and zoom and a free Green Screen backdrop.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTAgile Delivery Project ManagerOther
- FTPHP Team LeadNSW
- CCIntegration SpecialistQLD
- CCOracle CRM OD (On Demand) Consultant - Telecom IndustryVIC
- CCTechnical Team Lead/Application Developer Team Lead - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTSystems AdministratorOther
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- FTService Delivery ManagerOther
- CCSalesforce Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTSystems ArchitectNSW
- FTDigital Product OwnerOther
- CC.Net DeveloperWA
- FTAccount Business Management Officer/Operations ManagerACT
- FTIntegration AnalystNSW
- TPSenior .NET ContractNSW
- FTCloud Architect - AWS, Azure, ADOther
- CCEnterprise Architect ? Network & InfrastructureNSW
- CCSCCM EngineerNSW
- FTMICROSOFT DYNAMICS CRM DEVELOPER - BASELINE CLEARANCE REQUIRED - CANBERRAACT
- FTProject Manager/Business AnalystQLD
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSAP Lead Solution ArchitectOther
- FTChange ManagerOther
- FTTIBCO iProcess LeadOther