- Great value, Very respectable sound quality, Neutral audio gives greater versatility in listening material, Simple and easy to use
- Lacks in-depth calibration options, neutral audio isn't suitable for users with specific viewing and listening tastes
A great entry-level home theatre, Pioneer's HTZ151DVD is an excellent option for newcomers, delivering everything you need to get into home theatre at a very affordable price
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
Pioneer's HTZ151DVD home theatre system is a great entry-level product, including everything needed to experience 5.1 surround sound. It's a DVD player and receiver that comes with a 5.1-channel speaker system and its low price, simple features, neutral sound, and ease of setup and use make it an ideal product for newcomers to the home theatre scene. Although it lacks extensive calibration options and features, it nevertheless delivers great sound quality for a unit in its price range.
Audio performance on the HTZ151DVD is quite neutral, not emphasising either treble or bass, with a strong midrange making it a great option for most movies. Neutrality can either be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your point of view. If you want to be able to listen to a wide range of sources (eg action movies, drama movies, music, radio, etc) then a neutral system will generally handle them all respectably. On the other hand, if you watch a lot of movies or listen to a lot of music in a single genre, it can often be better to have a system that has a heavy emphasis on either bass (for thumping music, or action movies, for example) or treble (for classical or opera music, for example). Although the HTZ151DVD does handle both treble and bass well, without noticeable distortion either at below the 70 percent volume mark, it doesn't really deliver the excellent levels of performance in these areas that other units do (although this is generally at the expense of other areas).
One of the HTZ151DVD's biggest flaws, is that it really lacks the customisation options that a lot of home theatre systems (albeit generally more expensive ones) have. Sound quality does noticeably deteriorate at higher volumes, in bass and treble ranges, but there's enough power so that most users will be able to find a comfortable listening level before they start losing sound quality. Audio quality is generally respectable, and for a unit that's as affordable as this one, it's actually very good. The audio isn't exceptionally clear, but it's well defined and perfectly suitable for watching movies and listening to audio CDs.
Pioneer has kept things simple with calibration and features. Setting up the system is quick and easy, and simply involves positioning the five speakers, plugging them in, and then connecting the DVD player to your TV set. Individual speaker and subwoofer volumes can be adjusted by ten decibels either way, while bass and treble volumes can both be adjusted by three decibels either way - unfortunately not quite enough to satisfy our expectations, even for a system at this price. A variety of listening modes (action movie, drama movie, hall, rock, pop, etc) are available, and help to make what you're listening to sound a little better.
The unit's design is quite standard. It's silver and black, and is perfectly capable of matching most living room decors. Pioneer has taken care in the design and has made it suitable for users who only have limited space. The two surround (rear) speakers can be placed next to the front speakers at an outward angle, reflecting sound and creating the illusion of surround sound by bouncing off the walls. Whilst this didn't really recreate a perfect 5.1 setup in our tests, we nevertheless found it to be an excellent feature, and should be useful for users who don't have a large living room.
Overall, the HTZ151DVD home theatre is a fantastic value option for users who are new to home theatre and don't know where to start. It's affordable, simple, easy to setup and use, and delivers great sound quality without overemphasising one particular style of audio over another, giving users a good amount of variety to experiment with their system. If you're looking to get into the world of home theatres, or just want a good sounding unit at a great price, the HTZ151DVD is well-worth considering.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
Latest News Articles
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSecurity ConsultantOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - Incident Management SystemsOther
- FTProject SchedulerSA
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- CCJunior and Senior SQL DeveloperACT
- FTMid Level Business Intelligence Analyst - Power BIOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCHogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneOther
- FTSecurity ArchitectOther
- FTSCCM consultantVIC
- FTSenior Business ArchitectOther
- FTProcess SME (Continuous Improvement)Other
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantACT
- FTTechnical Support - Level 1 - Minchinbury NSWOther
- FTIT Service Delivery ManagerOther
- CCNetwork Automation EngineerVIC
- FTApplication SupportNSW
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Writer - Cloud HostingVIC
- CCData Migration ConsultantVIC
- CCData ArchitectNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperSA