Pioneer Computers Australia DreamBook Slim 805
- Lightweight, high performance
- Poor battery life
This mid-sized widescreen has plenty of power and a sizable, speedy hard disk, and it's backed by a three-year warranty.
Price$ 2,099.00 (AUD)
The Centrino-based DreamBook's core specifications include Intel's Pentium M processor running at 1.7GHz, along with 512MB of DDR SDRAM, a 60GB Hitachi hard disk and a multiformat DVD writer drive.
The 128MB DDR ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics controller drives a 15.4" wide-screen LCD with a maximum resolution of 1280 x 800.
The front fascia of the 805 is where the FireWire, audio jacks and multi-card reader are located, just near the lid latch and cursor touchpad.
On the left-hand side, you'll find a VGA-out connection for an external monitor, S-Video TV-output, PC Card slot (supporting one Type I/II card) and one USB slot. A 56Kbps modem, Ethernet connection and 802.11b/g wireless networking are also built-in.
The machine's back spine is quite bare with just two USB, power and Kensington lock ports, while the right-hand side simply features the optical drive.
One of this machine's greatest strengths is its slimline design and weight of just 2.9kg.
Battery life could have been better (62 minutes in our worst-case scenario tests) but application performance was outstanding. This is a strong all-rounder from Pioneer, backed up with a three-year warranty that includes on-site service.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- MSI Wins Computex Best Choice Award 2017 for a Record-Breaking 5 Products
- Surface Pro is Microsoft's long-awaited Surface Pro 4 upgrade, restyled as a laptop
- Google explains why Android apps still aren't on Chromebooks
- HP's Spectre x2 may be the Surface Pro killer we've been waiting for
- Asus ROG teases the world's first AMD Ryzen laptop
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSystem Analyst - IntegrationQLD
- FTProject Manager or Coordinator - Retail Store ProjectsNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTProject Control Analyst - PMOVIC
- CCTRIM TrainerACT
- FTProject Support OfficerQLD
- FTImplementation Engineer - Cisco UCSWA
- CCSolution DesignerNSW
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Procurement Specialist | 3mth ContractVIC
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneNSW
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTSAP ISU Billing Consultant - FunctionalVIC
- TPArcGIS DeveloperVIC
- FTBusiness Process ConsultantNSW
- FTSolution Architect - DatacentreVIC
- CCSolution Architect with Magento experience wantedVIC
- CCSenior Network Architect - CCIEVIC
- CCTechnical Support EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- FTDeployment Engineer / Field Service EngineerQLD
- FTDesktop EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - GROUP LIFE INSURANCENSW