Plantronics Explorer 230
A budget Bluetooth headset.
- Compact, lightweight, easy to use
- Poor incoming audio quality, no included ear buds
Occasional users shouldn't have too many issues, but if you intend to use the Explorer 230 on a daily basis then we suggest spending a bit more cash on a step up in quality.
Price$ 59.00 (AUD)
At just $59, Plantronics' latest Bluetooth headset is an ideal Christmas stocking filler. Featuring a straightforward yet compact design, its low price point will appeal to those on a budget, but heavy users will be disappointed with incoming audio quality.
There isn't too much to say about the Explorer 230's design. It has a similar design to most other Bluetooth headsets currently on the market. A small plastic ear hook provides support when it's being worn, while the rubber ear bud is fairly comfortable. Unfortunately, Plantronics doesn't include different sized ear buds in the sales package, so not everyone will be able to obtain an optimal fit.
Use is straightforward, as the Explorer 230 only has three buttons: a call control button that doubles as the on/off switch and a volume control button on either side. Pairing the headset with your phone is a simple matter of holding down the call control button until the indicator light flashes red and blue, denoting pairing mode. Once paired, the call control button handles all the headset's functions, with the obvious exception of volume. Functions differ depending on the length of press; for example, pressing and holding the button turns the headset on and off, while pressing it briefly answers or ends a call.
Sound quality is about what you'd expect from a headset commanding such a low price. During testing our callers didn't complain about the quality, though they did note that volume could have been louder, even when it was at maximum. Incoming audio is disappointing. In addition to a lack of volume, the audio lacks the clarity that these units usually provide. Plantronics claims to use a noise-cancelling and wind-reduction microphone, but wind noise and background noise still affected incoming audio.
Battery life is rated at up to eight hours' talk time and nine days' standby time. A microUSB AC charger is included in the sales package.
Join the newsletter!
Bitdefender’s best-in-class security solutions have been awarded Product of the Year. Get cybersecurity that 500 MILLION users already have and trust!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo Find X review: Damn.
- 2 Dell G5 review: An easy-to-live-with laptop that's light on thrills but more than capable of getting the job done
- 3 HAVIT G1W True Wireless Earbuds review: Budget buds with a wireless edge
- 4 Huawei Nova 3e: P20 in a pinch
- 5 Sonos Beam review: A more-affordable, smarter soundbar option
Latest News Articles
- Samsung announce the Galaxy A7, the company's first triple-lens camera smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy S10 lineup will consist of four devices, including a 5G model
- 3SIXT reveals range of accessories for new iPhones
- Cygnett releases its latest range of iPhone cases
- New Moshi accessories for iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9: Full, in-depth, Australian review
- Oppo Find X: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic FZ1000U OLED TV: Full, in-depth, review
- Everything you need to know about Smart TVs
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?