Plantronics GameCom 777 PC gaming headset
A Plantronics gaming headset that offers multiple connection options, good comfort and expansive sound
- Dolby Headphone mode has a wide and detailed soundstage, comfortable felt ear-pads
- Cheap plastic construction, unnecessarily large in-line volume control
The Plantronics GameCom 777 is a sturdy PC gaming headset with a comfortable design, Dolby Headphone support and good sound quality for gaming.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
The Plantronics GameCom 777 PC headset isn't the most attractive gaming headset out there, but it is competent and comfortable to wear once properly adjusted. The included Dolby USB adapter adds a wide soundstage and the audio quality is good for gaming or listening to MP3s.
The Plantronics GameCom 777 headset is not particularly inspiring to look at. Bland, matte grey plastic is used for the headband and ear-cups, with a few shiny black accents. It certainly isn't as stylish credentials as the Razer Carcharias, but it’s what is beneath the surface that counts.
The Plantronics GameCom 777 is comfortable to wear. We initially found the headphones too tight and constricting, but they soon loosened up to comfortable clamping levels after a short amount of wear. Plush felt ear-cups and headband padding make for a comfortable and even distribution of pressure, although it can get slightly too warm after marathon gaming sessions.
Audio from the GameCom 777 headset is well suited to games, blockbuster movies and compressed MP3 music files. The headphones are heavy on mid-range sound, with vocals more prominent than other sounds. This may speak towards the headset's use as a team-communication device in games, where hearing your team-mates is of utmost importance.
Treble seems to be a little cut-off and recessed higher in the ranges, with electronica and classical musical sounding a little muffled and lacking clarity at higher volume levels.
Bass is well reproduced and is tight with no excessive decay, but we would have liked it to be a little more prominent. As it stands explosions sometimes feel simulated rather than realistic — an extra serving of low-range bass would help this.
The Plantronics GameCom 777 PC headset is able to connect to a PC either using the regular 3.5mm headphone plugs — the cord is around two metres long and has a bulky in-line volume control — or the supplied USB adapter. We definitely prefer using the adapter: it adds Dolby Headphone virtual surround sound. It must be run from a powered USB port (meaning it won’t work through an external connector such as the one on the Logitech G15 keyboard) but the expanded soundstage and positional audio are definitely worth it.
With Dolby Headphone enabled, we were easily able to distinguish sounds from different directions in Call of Duty: World at War, and music had an expansive feel.
The Plantronics GameCom 777’s boom microphone is another nifty addition. Clipping into the headband when not in use, it swings down and extends for perfect positioning. The microphone sounds clear at normal speaking volumes, while background noise is well blocked.
All up, the Plantronics GameCom 777 is a good package. For a mid-range price you get good sound quality with the convenience of a USB Dolby Headphone add-on, decent comfort and sturdy construction.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 2 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 3 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 4 TCL X2 review: QLED escapes the premium market
- 5 Xbox One X review: Brave new world
Latest News Articles
- Google finally bring the Pixel Buds to Australia
- Bose announce local availability and pricing for SoundSport Free true wireless earbuds
- Jabra confirm ANZ pricing and availability for Evolve 75e headphones
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By HyperX
- CES 2018: HyperX announces Wireless Cloud Flight Headset and RGB range
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCSecurity DesignerNSW
- FTProgram ManagerOther
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCAgile CoachNSW
- FTSr Java Developer- Spring,Rest, Apache Tomcat, XML,Scrum MasterOther
- FTGraduate Project CoordinatorACT
- FTTest Analyst - RiskOther
- CCFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical Lead | .Net | FintechOther
- CCRelease Management LeadNSW
- FTTechnical Solutions Consultants- ServiceNowNSW
- TPBusiness & Change AnalystQLD
- FTSystem and Software TestersACT
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTDNS Security SpecialistOther
- FTCapacity Manager - AWSOther
- CCLead Developer - BrisbaneVIC
- FTSenior Program AnalystOther
- CCTeam / Process / Project Coordinator ? Telco ? 6 mth contract - Nth SydNSW
- FTSQL DeveloperOther
- FTCustomer Support (PAS) Professional- Level 2 - HealthcareVIC
- FTIntegration DeveloperOther
- FTIT Security EngineerOther
- TPSystem AnalystACT
- FTSolutions Designer ($800 pd incl super)Other