Plantronics Gamecom 780 gaming headphones
These headphones have Dolby 7.1 surround sound
- Great sound for movies and games
- Bargain price
- Plastic finish
- No surround sound for Mac
The Gamecom 780 is a bargain of a headset at just £38 offering a cool retro design, comfort and Dolby 7.1 surround. Sound performance is great for games and movies, and almost as good for music. It's a shame the excellent surround sound feature isn’t compatible with Macs and the finish is a little on the plastic side.
Price$ 85.00 (AUD)
The Gamecom 780 is the latest gaming headset from Plantronics featuring a retro design and Dolby Digital virtual 7.1 surround sound.
This headset sells for just $85, making it a very affordable option and successor to the chunky Gamecom 777. The design has a retro-aviation look to it, with exposed cables running from the ear-pieces into the headband.
Unlike the Gamecom 777, the 780 has its controls mounted on the left earpiece instead of an in-line controller. At the front a glowing blue button toggles the Dolby enhancements, while the rear houses a volume rocker and microphone mute switch. Unfortunately the volume level can only be adjusted in pre-defined steps with each flick of the rocker - although we could always fine-tune the level suitably. The fold-down microphone is also attached to the left ear-piece.
The long 2m cable has a USB port at the end of it to plug into your PC or Mac. Unfortunately, the 7.1 surround sound only works for PC users — Mac users will only get stereo.
Both ear pieces swivel flat, should you want them to lie on your desk easier. We found the Gamecom 780 to be flexible and durable, although they are a little on the plastic side.
The Gamecom 780 looks like quite a bulky headset but is deceptively light. For this reason, as well as the large pads on the ear pieces and headband, we found comfort to be excellent. We were able to wear the headset for long periods of time without any bother, apart from getting slightly hot ears.
Sound quality was excellent with a clear and punchy detail for a range of uses. The PC software allows you to switch between tailored modes for music or games/movies. Although there's a mode for music this headset is aimed at gamers and doesn't pack the thumping bass that some might like for listening to music.
The virtual surround by Dolby provides that extra level of immersion when it comes to games and movies. We found it especially handy for spatial awareness in first person shooters like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.
To round-off the good sound performance we found the quality of the microphone to be very good with vocals coming through clear to teammates online.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Harman ANZ relaunches AKG into the consumer market with new range
- Plantronics Expands its Award-Winning BackBeat FIT Family
- Google marries AI, hardware and software with Made By Google
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixelbook, Google Home Mini & Max: Everything Announced At Today’s Google Event
- Bose Upgrade Q35 for Google Assistant
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- TPProject Manager - CRMQLD
- FTInsights AnalystOther
- CCSenior Process SpecialistNSW
- TPCyber Security ConsultantNSW
- FTSplunk EngineerACT
- CCLinux System AdministrationVIC
- FTSystems ArchitectNSW
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- TPSolution Architect - Cloud InfrastructureQLD
- TPSCRUM MasterVIC
- FTProject Manager - Office Re-locations APACOther
- FTSystems Support ManagerNSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperWA
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- FTProduct Support ManagerVIC
- TPPMO LeadVIC
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- FTProject ManagerOther
- CCOracle CRM OD (On Demand) Consultant - Telecom IndustryVIC
- FTSenior DevOps LeadVIC
- FTSenior IT Business AnalystOther
- FTIntegration DeveloperVIC
- FTNetwork ArchitectACT