Plantronics Gamecom 780 gaming headphones
These headphones have Dolby 7.1 surround sound
- Great sound for movies and games
- Bargain price
- Plastic finish
- No surround sound for Mac
The Gamecom 780 is a bargain of a headset at just £38 offering a cool retro design, comfort and Dolby 7.1 surround. Sound performance is great for games and movies, and almost as good for music. It's a shame the excellent surround sound feature isn’t compatible with Macs and the finish is a little on the plastic side.
Price$ 85.00 (AUD)
The Gamecom 780 is the latest gaming headset from Plantronics featuring a retro design and Dolby Digital virtual 7.1 surround sound.
This headset sells for just $85, making it a very affordable option and successor to the chunky Gamecom 777. The design has a retro-aviation look to it, with exposed cables running from the ear-pieces into the headband.
Unlike the Gamecom 777, the 780 has its controls mounted on the left earpiece instead of an in-line controller. At the front a glowing blue button toggles the Dolby enhancements, while the rear houses a volume rocker and microphone mute switch. Unfortunately the volume level can only be adjusted in pre-defined steps with each flick of the rocker - although we could always fine-tune the level suitably. The fold-down microphone is also attached to the left ear-piece.
The long 2m cable has a USB port at the end of it to plug into your PC or Mac. Unfortunately, the 7.1 surround sound only works for PC users — Mac users will only get stereo.
Both ear pieces swivel flat, should you want them to lie on your desk easier. We found the Gamecom 780 to be flexible and durable, although they are a little on the plastic side.
The Gamecom 780 looks like quite a bulky headset but is deceptively light. For this reason, as well as the large pads on the ear pieces and headband, we found comfort to be excellent. We were able to wear the headset for long periods of time without any bother, apart from getting slightly hot ears.
Sound quality was excellent with a clear and punchy detail for a range of uses. The PC software allows you to switch between tailored modes for music or games/movies. Although there's a mode for music this headset is aimed at gamers and doesn't pack the thumping bass that some might like for listening to music.
The virtual surround by Dolby provides that extra level of immersion when it comes to games and movies. We found it especially handy for spatial awareness in first person shooters like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.
To round-off the good sound performance we found the quality of the microphone to be very good with vocals coming through clear to teammates online.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- FTData Analyst - 12 months Fixed Term ContractVIC
- FTNetwork Solution Architect -Telecommunications InfrastructureNSW
- FT.NET DeveloperNSW
- CCProgram ManagerVIC
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- CCSalesforce Marketing CloudNSW
- FTDeputy Chief Engineer - Defence Systems - IT Services - Nowra BasedNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANEVIC
- FTScrum Master/Project ManagerQLD
- FTIT Systems EngineerQLD
- TPChange Management - Multi-stream people change program**NSW
- FTSplunk Software Developer | 6mth ContractVIC
- CCData Migration Lead | Recruitment Focus | DocklandsVIC
- FTLevel 2 Desktop SupportACT
- FTBI and Report DeveloperQLD
- FTDigital Developer | LAMP Stack | Digital AgencyNSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Configuration Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager (Office 365) - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - BusinessQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTDatawarehouse DeveloperSA