"I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it."
Plantronics Gamecom 780 gaming headphones
These headphones have Dolby 7.1 surround sound
- Great sound for movies and games
- Bargain price
- Plastic finish
- No surround sound for Mac
The Gamecom 780 is a bargain of a headset at just £38 offering a cool retro design, comfort and Dolby 7.1 surround. Sound performance is great for games and movies, and almost as good for music. It's a shame the excellent surround sound feature isn’t compatible with Macs and the finish is a little on the plastic side.
Price$ 85.00 (AUD)
The Gamecom 780 is the latest gaming headset from Plantronics featuring a retro design and Dolby Digital virtual 7.1 surround sound.
This headset sells for just $85, making it a very affordable option and successor to the chunky Gamecom 777. The design has a retro-aviation look to it, with exposed cables running from the ear-pieces into the headband.
Unlike the Gamecom 777, the 780 has its controls mounted on the left earpiece instead of an in-line controller. At the front a glowing blue button toggles the Dolby enhancements, while the rear houses a volume rocker and microphone mute switch. Unfortunately the volume level can only be adjusted in pre-defined steps with each flick of the rocker - although we could always fine-tune the level suitably. The fold-down microphone is also attached to the left ear-piece.
The long 2m cable has a USB port at the end of it to plug into your PC or Mac. Unfortunately, the 7.1 surround sound only works for PC users — Mac users will only get stereo.
Both ear pieces swivel flat, should you want them to lie on your desk easier. We found the Gamecom 780 to be flexible and durable, although they are a little on the plastic side.
The Gamecom 780 looks like quite a bulky headset but is deceptively light. For this reason, as well as the large pads on the ear pieces and headband, we found comfort to be excellent. We were able to wear the headset for long periods of time without any bother, apart from getting slightly hot ears.
Sound quality was excellent with a clear and punchy detail for a range of uses. The PC software allows you to switch between tailored modes for music or games/movies. Although there's a mode for music this headset is aimed at gamers and doesn't pack the thumping bass that some might like for listening to music.
The virtual surround by Dolby provides that extra level of immersion when it comes to games and movies. We found it especially handy for spatial awareness in first person shooters like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.
To round-off the good sound performance we found the quality of the microphone to be very good with vocals coming through clear to teammates online.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- 2 Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 review: A budget phablet that swings above its weight
- 3 LG E8 OLED TV (2018) and SK10Y soundbar review: If you've been on the fence about OLED, now might be the time to jump it
- 4 Nokia 7 Plus review: Predictable and plus-sized
- 5 Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
Latest News Articles
- Nura G2 Introduces Active Noise Cancelling
- Plantronics Announce Backbeat Go 600 Wireless Headphones
- HyperX target console-crowd with Cloud Stinger Core headset
- Computex 2018: ROG cover all the bases with new Delta gaming headset
- Apple launched new Beats collection to celebrate 10 year anniversary
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- Amazon Prime Day 2018
- Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 review: A budget phablet that swings above its weight
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?