Pure One Elite digital radio
The Pure One Elite is digital radio that offers great value for money
- Great sound quality, excellent bang for buck
- The rubber finish will mark easily if proper care is not taken
The Pure One Elite digital radio has a very fair price considering its features and audio quality. It's unobtrusive design makes it ideal for a bedside table or kitchen counter, and it is also lightweight, so you can take it with you easily.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
The Pure One Elite is a digital radio with a neo-retro design and a very reasonable price tag.
The Pure One Elite digital radio's small size makes it an ideal travel companion — taking six C-cell batteries, the Pure One Elite has a play time of around 70 hours. A rechargeable battery pack can also be purchased. The body of the radio has a smooth, rubberised finish. While this feels nice to touch, you'd better only handle it with clean hands as the rubber has a porous texture and will absorb grease and grime.
Located on the front of the device is a plethora of buttons surrounding a navigatio wheel, which also doubles as a selection button. On top sits the obligatory telescopic aerial — we didn’t need to extend it when tuning in to DAB+ digital radio, but FM stations benefit from its extension. On the right side of the Pure One Elite you can find a headphone jack, an auxiliary audio input port for connecting an MP3 player and a USB port for connecting to a PC and updating the firmware.
While the Pure One Elite isn’t going to set the world on fire with magical mind-blowing new features, but its ReVu function is a great plus. Using this function, the radio stores audio within a 15 minute buffer for either rewinding or fast-forwarding (after you rewind), so you can re-listen to a song or pause it while you answer the phone. The Pure One Elite offers a generous 50 station presets — 25 for FM and 25 for DAB+.
A 3-line, backlit LCD shows information such as volume, time, station ID and 'now playing' information. The screen is easy to read and has a bright backlight, but unfortunately you can only turn the backlight on or off; there are no settings adjust its brightness.
Audio quality is good but not excellent. The Pure One Elite uses two full-range, 3in speakers that can handle high volumes with ease. Like the Pure One Classic and the Pure EVOKE Flow, bass and treble both perform well and can be adjusted using an equaliser. Mid-range sound is also reasonably good although at higher volumes it begins to lose clarity. The Pure One Elite would be best suited to a small room or kitchen, as it performs best at low to moderate volume levels.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- YouTube launches streaming TV service with 40 channels and unlimited cloud DVR storage
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCSenior Network Architect - CCIEVIC
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- FTUX ResearcherVIC
- CCWeb Designer - IT Graphics / UI DesignerQLD
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Configuration Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior DBANSW
- CCMaster Data Officer - SAPNSW
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTDevelopment and Delivery Manager - CloudACT
- CCWintel Server EngineerNSW
- FTInfrastructure EngineerACT
- CCTRIM TrainerACT
- CCNetwork Security Engineer - Finance - Contract - SydneyNSW
- TPAgile Projet AdministratorVIC
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - WintelVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystACT
- FTeCommerce Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerNSW
- FTCustomer Service OperatorVIC
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- FTProject Manager HFC Capacity ManagementVIC
- CCSenior Procurement SpecialistVIC