Red Giant Software Magic Bullet Steady
Get rid of the shakes.
- Faster and better than AE
The plug-in’s main weakness is that it doesn’t allow you to manually modify stabilisation. Also while it’s faster and better than AE’s stabilisation tool, it might not be good enough to justify the cost — but it’s a useful addition to the Magic Bullet Suite nonetheless.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
Note: pricing for this product is in US$.
Shaky footage may be associated with amateur video, but it’s something professionals have to deal with on a regular basis. Whether it’s user-generated footage, something captured on the sly, a quick and dirty shoot or just a momentary case of shaky hands, it’s one of those things that seems minor enough to fix ‘in post’ — but can take a long time to get right.
Magic Bullet Steady attempts to help with this. It ships with a noise-reducer plug-in for dealing with the image noise problems that often accompany low-quality footage.
When you first apply the plug-in, a red hexagon appears on your footage with an exclamation mark to show that it hasn’t been analysed or corrected. Before you press the ‘Analyze’ button, you select either the Automatic Motion Detect mode or Manual, to select a region of the video. This allows you to select an area without moving elements in it — and this can be keyframed over time.
Analysing is remarkably quick. The plug-in worked through SD footage in almost twice real-time, and HD in footage in half real-time.
To see just how effective it was, we tested it on footage captured surreptitiously on a cheap Flip Video camcorder at the IFA trade show in Berlin, which combined low resolution (640x480 pixels), high compression, shaky camera-work, inconsistent lighting and people walking in front of the camera. The plug-in dealt remarkably well with the footage and the end result was a massive improvement.
You can modify the stabilisation using a well thought-out set of controls. There’s a ‘Use Scene Change Detection’ toggle that spots cuts and analyses shots individually. There’s a range of settings: Fast Shake, Wobble, Weave and All Motion (to give to look of a camera on a tripod).
Stabilisation leaves black borders, as the footage is moved horizontally and vertically. Magic Bullet can automatically zoom in to eliminate this, though it’s better done in the Instant HD plug-in if you own the full Magic Bullet Suite.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
- Dragon Gets NDIS Approval
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- Moto X4 review
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FT.NET Full Stack DeveloperOther
- FTGraduate C# DeveloperNSW
- FTSystems Engineering Design Acceptance LeadACT
- CCAutomation Scripter - Data CentresWA
- FTSenior Network Engineer - CCNP or CCIEOther
- FTCommunications Officer (Social Media Focus)Other
- FTLead Solution ArchitectSA
- CCData Warehouse SpecialistNSW
- FTETL DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTPermanent Project SchedulerACT
- FTProject Coordinator - SAED/TelcoNSW
- FTCoach, Lean Startup & Design Thinking approachOther
- CCService DesignerNSW
- TPEL1 Project ManagerACT
- TPJava DeveloperWA
- FTCognos AdministratorOther
- FTTableau DeveloperOther
- FTChange Manager- Engineering IndustryOther
- FTInnovation Coach, Lean Startup & Design Thinking approachOther
- FTSenior UX Service DesignerACT
- CCIdentity & Access Management ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Project Controls Officer / CoordinatorOther
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Systems Analyst - HR SystemsOther