Ricoh Aficio SP 4210N monochrome laser printer
This classic workhorse printer is built for speed more than for quality; the cheap toner is a big plus
- Very fast graphics speed, low-cost toner
- High upfront cost, graphics output is often grainy
The Ricoh Aficio SP 4210N may lack the pricing or panache to rank higher on our chart, but it deserves consideration. It's built for high-volume use and backs that up with supercheap toner. For some busy offices, that combination could be enough.
Price$ 1,559.00 (AUD)
Ricoh's Aficio SP 4210N monochrome laser printer is a decent performer with a somewhat high price ($1559). The Xerox Phaser 3600/N, which carries the same sticker price, is better designed and easier to use, but the Aficio laser's extra-cheap toner could make it a better buy for high-volume offices.
The Aficio SP 4210N ships with a 6000-page starter cartridge. A 15,000-page replacement cartridge costs $339, or 2.3 cents per page — far less than the consumables costs of the competing HP LaserJet P2055x.
Performance is solid overall. Ricoh promises a top speed of 37 pages per minute (ppm). In our tests, it managed 32.3ppm (an average speed) printing plain text, while its graphics speed was a zippy 9.2ppm. The Aficio SP 4210N's text quality was very nice, but graphics quality suffered from graininess or roughness — typical for a monochrome laser, unfortunately.
The standard configuration includes a 500-sheet input tray and a 100-sheet multipurpose tray, plus a 250-sheet output tray. All three are sturdy and easy to use, with helpful, coloured decals for guidance. Little dials on each input tray indicate the paper size within, but you must adjust these dials manually. You may add one or two more 500-sheet input trays, an envelope feeder to attach to one of those trays, or a duplexing unit. Complementing the USB and Ethernet connections is an extra USB port (Type A) in back for plugging in third-party applications.
Ease of use isn't great. Duplexing and colour-management features are active in the driver even if you haven't installed the optional duplexer and even though the SP 4210N is a monochrome printer. The control panel's visual monotony — all six buttons are the same size and colour, and the up/down navigation arrows are just a different shape--makes knowing where to look and recognising what's important unduly difficult; also, some of the button labels — such as 'Suspend' and 'Escape' — use potentially confusing technical jargon.
The Ricoh Aficio SP 4210N deserves consideration. It's built for high-volume use and backs that up with supercheap toner. For some busy offices, that combination could be enough.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCSenior PMO ManagerNSW
- CCTRIM Support OfficerACT
- FTTest Team LeadOther
- FTLevel 2 Desktop EngineerOther
- CCProgram Manager - Telco O2AVIC
- FTEnterprise Software/Product Sales ManagerVIC
- FTIT Security SpecialistACT
- FTData DeveloperOther
- FTSenior IT Recruitment Consultant - CommercialOther
- FTLevel 3 Application Support EngineerQLD
- FTSolution DesignerOther
- FTSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- FTProject Manager | Intelligent Transport Software DeliveryOther
- FTHelpdesk Support Officer (Lv1/Lv2)SA
- FTPenetration Tester - Cyber Security Operations - CEHOther
- FTIT Service Delivery ManagerOther
- FTGun Java Developers wantedVIC
- FTGun Java Developers wantedVIC
- FTINTEGRATION DEVELOPERSA
- FTSplunk DeveloperVIC
- FTJunior/Mid Front-end Developer/DesignerOther
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- FTDeployment Analyst / Customer Service - Minchinbury NSWOther
- TPiOS DeveloperNSW