Safer Networking Spybot Search and Destroy
- Full features, Good protection, Free!
- Interface a little unfriendly
Combine this with other free software and you’ll ensure your PC stays well protected and operating properly.
Alongside Ad-Aware the famous Spybot Search and Destroy is the other key player in the anti-spyware arena. For years these bits of software have been protecting uneducated computer users from malicious spyware, trojans and malware. The protection offered by Spybot is slightly inferior to Lavasoft's offering but it comes in at the same low low price of $0 and unlike Ad-aware, you don't have to pay to access the extra features of the software.
Several of these are worth noting, firstly, the immunisation feature. Ad-aware offers similar protection, but requires you to pay before it is accessible. It makes the software operate like a virus scanner, constantly active and searching through files as you go about your business, so you don't have to worry about scanning your system all the time. Spybot also offers users the ability to lock certain features of their browser, such as the start page or the control panel, which will stop spyware interfering by changing settings. Ever come back to your computer and discover your homepage is now www.notavirus.com? Never again!
The second nifty function it has is less related to spyware, but is cool nonetheless. It offers the ability to properly delete files. You're probably thinking "but I delete files all the time...don't I?" and of course you do, to a degree, but the way a hard drive works means that typically when you delete a file, it isn't gone at all, at least not until more information is written over it. Certain pieces of software can recover files after deletion, which could prove troublesome later on. If you have sensitive data (credit card numbers, passwords etc) that you really want to be sure are gone then Spybot offers a risk free way to remove them when you're done.
We also liked the program's "system startup" tab, which lists all the files that fire up when you start your machine. Over the course of a year, the average user builds up a huge amount of unnecessary software, most of which boots up at startup, and they simply don't know how to stop it. Spybot allows you to choose what programs activate when you boot up your PC. You'll be amazed by the difference after you remove five or six programs.
We found the interface to be a little clunky. The features mentioned above are all stashed away in the advanced tools tab, which we didn't even know existed until we sat down to really explore the software properly. The basic anti-spyware scanning is easy enough to access, but sorting through the more advanced functions can be cumbersome. It also doesn't look nearly as sleek as Ad-Aware, with a very utilitarian menu system, however there is the option to skin it, personalising it a little.
Our testing proved that, as with Ad-Aware, Spybot is not an all encompassing package. Each piece of software picked up a few things the others didn't. Overall we felt Spybot came in a close second to Ad-Aware in terms of broad protection, but the difference was fairly minimal. If you run them both together you'll be all but impervious to the new age of digital infections, and as both of them are basically free, you have no reason not to!
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTNetwork and Systems EngineerWA
- FTBroker Support/ Applications SupportOther
- FTAutomation TesterOther
- FTProgram Director - ieMROther
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCSAP HR Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior Solution ArchitectOther
- FTProject Manager -Accommodation Program-Fit-out, RelocationOther
- TPProject Manager - IT SecurityQLD
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- FTUX Designer | Mobile ApplicationsOther
- FTMaximo EngineerOther
- CCSenior Internet Services Engineer - DevOpsNSW
- FTPayments Business AnalystVIC
- CC.net DeveloperNSW
- FTPrincipal ConsultantOther
- FTField ConsultantOther
- FTNetwork Security EngineerOther
- FTSocial Media SpecialistOther
- FTiOS DeveloperWA
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperQLD
- FTTechnical Digital ProducerOther
- CCGeospatial Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Change ManagerNSW