Sage Plc Simply Accounting Basic
Added capabilities make this version a worthwhile upgrade for existing Simply Basic users
- Integration with Microsoft Office, powerful tools, Very inexpensive
- None to speak of
If you have a small business and are looking for an accounting solution, this package packs a punch.
Price$ 65.00 (AUD)
Don't be fooled by the price tag on the 2006 version of Simply Accounting Basic. This updated small-business accounting application from Sage Software (formerly Best Software) offers a lot more bang for your bookkeeping buck than its chief rivals do.
The new version makes it easier to design custom accounting forms and features better integration with Microsoft Office than previous versions. It has strong capabilities for such an inexpensive program, including support for dual currencies--useful in import/export businesses.
The Basic version lets you synchronize customer and vendor records with Microsoft Outlook contacts, formerly possible only with the Pro version. You can also use MS Word templates to prepare customer form letters, and you can create financial reports in MS Excel. Simply Basic stores accounting data in an MS Access database. The application has most but not all of the MS Office integration smarts found in Microsoft Office Small Business Accounting 2006, so it's a credible alternative with a much lower price.
Simply Accounting Basic's redesigned Home Window is easier to use than the previous version's, with better menus for access to the program's general ledger, customer, vendor, employee, inventory, and project-tracking capabilities.
An improved wizard provides more help with setting up a new company. Checks are easier to align for printing. There's even a little eye candy: You can now display JPG and GIF images of your products and services.
A larger payroll-check window enhances your view of income and deduction fields. If you use Simply Basic to prepare payroll, for efficiency's sake you should consider subscribing to the optional payroll tax table update.
The shipping copy of Simply Accounting Basic 13 that we reviewed is a single-user application developed to handle entry-level business accounting needs. Sage also offers more-powerful (and pricier) versions of Simply Accounting with multiuser capabilities, but we didn't review these packages.
If you're currently using a spreadsheet (such as Excel) or a personal finance application (such as Quicken) to track business finances, you'll discover that Simply Accounting Basic represents a logical step up from what you work with now. Its improved import/export wizard simplifies importing data from Excel, Quicken, QuickBooks, and MYOB.
Simply Accounting Basic will undoubtedly attract the bargain-hunting bean counters who tend to each bean vigilantly. Its features compare most closely with those of Intuit's QuickBooks Pro edition, which costs four times as much as Simply Basic. QuickBooks' entry-level Simple Start costs twice as much and delivers far less accounting power.
The added capabilities make this version a worthwhile upgrade for existing Simply Basic users, while the low price will tempt some Intuit users to switch allegiance.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P10 smartphone review
- 2 Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Motorola Moto G5 smartphone review
- 4 Oppo A57 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming motherboard review
- The simple RAM buying guide
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTTechnical WriterVIC
- FTApplication System EngineerACT
- TPProject Test ManagerQLD
- FTIT Field Services ManagerNSW
- CCEnd to End Project ManagerVIC
- CCWintel Support EngineerVIC
- FTSalesforce ConsultantQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Wealth ManagementNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Magento DeveloperVIC
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksVIC
- CCTechnical Specialist - Cloud ServicesVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectSA
- CCDeployment Manager - TelcoVIC
- FTPrincipal Consultant / Account Delivery Executive.NSW
- TPSenior Consultant - ServiceNowNSW
- FTSenior PHP Developer - SymfonyQLD
- TPLevel 2/3 Technical Service AnalystOther
- FTSales Lead - Healthcare systemsVIC
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- TPSystems EngineerQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence / Datawarehouse DeveloperSA
- CCBusiness Project Manager-Grant ManagementNSW