- Lightweight, crisp internal display; great user interface; A2DP Bluetooth; touch-sensitive media controls
- Proprietary headphone jack, USB only 1.1, difficult to flip open with one hand, no microSD card included
The A711 delivers faster speeds over the Next G network and an improved menu system, making it a slight improvement over its predecessor.
Price$ 549.00 (AUD)
An upgrade of the previous A701, Samsung's A711 now delivers even faster HSDPA network speeds of up to 3.6Mbps. Although it's a similar handset to its predecessor aesthetically, an improved menu system, Bluetooth 2.0 instead of 1.2 and more internal memory are some other new additions.
The A711 operates exclusively on Telstra's high speed HSDPA network: Next G. We were pleasantly impressed with network speeds, as browsing news or sports results, for example, is ultra fast compared to a regular 3G network, while downloading music files was just as impressive. In most instances, the loading bar was filled in just a second or two.
Aesthetically, the A711 is surprisingly light, though quite long and wide when flipped open. Unfortunately, it's difficult to quickly open with one hand. Being a clamshell handset, the A701 has two LCD displays. We really like the external display, even if it could have been a little larger, while the internal screen is bright and clear, making it ideal for multimedia use. Ease of use is paramount thanks to a large five-way navigational pad and a well spaced out keypad. The menu is crisp and clear, and encompasses a simple list format for most submenus and animated, coloured icons for the main menu.
The A711 is equipped with two digital cameras; an internally mounted VGA camera for video calling and an external 2-megapixel camera for taking photos and capturing video. The main camera can snap photos at a resolution of up to 1600x1200 pixels and also features 2x digital zoom. Unfortunately there is no flash, nor is there a self-portrait mirror.
Internal memory has been upgraded to 48MB from the A701's 24MB, but a microSD card slot will handle most of your storage. It's somewhat disappointing that Samsung doesn't include a card in the sales package though.
The media player supports a multitude of file formats, and there is also a streaming media player for video and audio streaming over the Next G network. The media player has basic settings such as shuffle and repeat playback and playlist support, and the display can be orientated horizontally when watching videos. External, touch sensitive music keys which illuminate on contact are a nice touch, but the proprietary headphone jack is an annoyance.
The A711 includes Bluetooth 2.0 and USB 1.1 connectivity -- a USB data cable is included in the sales package. The USB is only 1.1 rather than the more common 2.0 and consequently data transfers are slower than expected. The A2DP audio profile is a feature, so you can wirelessly stream your music to a compatible pair of Bluetooth headphones.
Other applications include PIM utilities such as a voice recorder, world clock, calculator and currency converter, as well as Java 2.0 and a WAP browser. The A711 also provides support for SMS, MMS and e-mail messaging -- all with T9 predictive text input.
Battery life is average, rated at up to 170 minutes talk time and up to 220 hours standby time.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- Boost Mobile Connects With World Surf League
- Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ Awarded Telstra Blue Tick Certification
- HTC to bring U11 Life to Australia next week
- Woolworths Will Be Offering $150 Off Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+
- Boost unveils new and improved Anytime Plus mobile plans
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTJava DeveloperWA
- FT.Net Analyst ProgrammerSA
- CCHadoop DeveloperACT
- FTUI DesignerOther
- FTSenior Salesforce DeveloperOther
- FTJunior BA x 2Other
- FTService Centre ConsultantQLD
- FTService Asset & Configuration ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Applications Project ManagerACT
- CCMultiple Java Developer roles!VIC
- FTProgram Project Manager, Business Technology EnablementOther
- FTNetwork Infrastructure Program ManagerOther
- CCApplications EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTHelpDesk Support TechnicianOther
- FTJava Developer (Axway API)Other
- TPSenior Business Analyst | Financial Services | $880/dayQLD
- CCProgram CoordinatorVIC
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- FTBig Data ArchitectOther
- FTLevel 2 Support EngineerVIC
- FTC# .Net Developer | Fintech Products | Market LeaderOther
- CCDesktop Support Technician - Karratha basedWA
- TPSystems AdministratorQLD
- FTSystem AdministratorVIC