Samsung E1130 mobile phone
The Samsung E1130 is water and dust resistant and features a durable plastic casing that has been manufactured to withstand poor treatment.
- Rugged plastic case, dust and water resistant, FM radio, ease of use
- Tiny display, proprietary charging/headphone jack, no 3G
Samsung's E1130 mobile phone is as basic as they come, but if you're looking for a cheap as chips, second phone for work it should be adequate for the job.
Price$ 69.00 (AUD)
Designed for users with an "active lifestyle", the basic Samsung E1130 mobile phone is ideal for tradespeople, or for use as a secondary, inexpensive phone. Samsung’s E1130 is water and dust resistant and features a durable plastic casing that has been manufactured to withstand poor treatment.
Next to the latest and greatest touch screen smartphones, the Samsung E1130 looks quite outdated. Like most ruggedised phones, including the Telstra Tough T90 and Samsung's own B2700, the E1130's style won't appeal to those looking to make a splash in the fashion stakes, but this isn't the design intention. The Samsung E1130's rock hard black and orange casing is capable of resisting some very harsh punishment — we dropped it on concrete, tiles and floorboards and it came though unscathed.
The Samsung E1130 mobile phone is IP54 rated for dust and water resistance; although keep in mind it's designed to withstand being splashed with water, not taken for a swim when you're at the beach. We held it under a running tap for a few seconds and it worked without any issues, so this is definitely a mobile you won't have to handle with kid gloves.
A downside to the Samsung E1130 is its tiny display — this is one of the smallest screens we've seen on a mobile phone. In our tests it was fine for basic messaging and calling tasks (which is all it's been designed for), but the E1130 is hard to see in direct sunlight and it has poor viewing angles, so using it outdoors can be problematic. Below the screen is a basic five-way navigational pad, two selection keys as well as answer and end call keys. The keypad has a bright blue backlight and the raised keys click reassuringly when pressed, but it's an oversight that there’s no backlight for the navigational pad and selection buttons.
The Samsung E1130's key feature is its rugged design, so it isn't a surprise to learn that there is not much else on offer. The phone lacks 3G capabilities and offers no features of note aside from an FM radio, a top mounted torch and basic PIM functions such as an alarm, a world clock, voice recorder and calendar. The E1130's user interface is as basic as they come and it’s almost a step back into the time when Nokia ruled the mobile world — a simple 3 x 3 grid layout for the main menu with list-style submenus — nonetheless it is easy to use and navigate.
The Samsung E1130 offer an amusing feature too, Samsung's fake call application — surprising on a no frills phone. Holding down on the navigational pad activates this function, which simulates a phone call and plays back a pre-recorded voice message when answered. It’s handy and may help you get out of awkward situations such as a blind date gone awry, or an overly long meeting.
Disappointingly the Samsung E1130 uses a proprietary headphone and charging connector, though this isn't a deal breaker as the E1130 isn't a phone you'll connect to your PC very often.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook: Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Join the newsletter!
We have 4 to give away so jump in!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
- 5 LG V30+ Review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
Latest News Articles
- HP Omen laptops include a first: Nvidia Max-Q graphics technology
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- HP's Omen Accelerator can give your laptop some guts
- HP's Omen X Compact Desktop can morph into a backpack VR PC
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Sony a7R Mk III review: The strongest case yet for ditching your DSLR
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Oppo R11s: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTCorporate ReceptionistOther
- FTProject Manager - ERP implementationOther
- FTPMO LeadOther
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- FTRecruitment CoordinatorOther
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSystems Support AnalystQLD
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - Office 365QLD
- FTVMWare LeadOther
- FTIT Procurement Analyst - AWS, On-PremOther
- FTAngularJS DeveloperOther
- CCHogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- FTMS Azure Senior EngineerOther
- CCProcurement Specialist - PathologyNSW
- CCChange Manager l Port Macquarie NSWQLD
- FTServices Delivery ManagerOther
- FTSenior Data Warehouse DeveloperQLD
- FTOrganisational Change ManagerOther
- TPEnterprise Architect | Services | QLD Health | $1173/dayQLD
- TPSharepoint AdministrationQLD
- FTNetwork Services ManagerOther
- FTL2 Security Network EngineerNSW
- TPSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- TPSystems Administrator (AWS)QLD