Reasonable features and more than reasonable value.
- Compact size and weight, ease of use, reasonable features list
- Display has mediocre viewing angles, no MicroSD card included in package
Samsung’s E740 isn’t outstanding, but it’s reasonably impressive for the asking price.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
Featuring a 2-megapixel camera, an FM radio, microSD storage and a multimedia player, you might be surprised to find that the Samsung E740 is an entry-level prepaid handset. Offering a reasonable number of features for a low cost, the E740 is definitely worth a look.
Exclusive to Vodafone, this stylish slider is similar in design to many previous Samsung handsets. Its compact frame feels reasonably well built and the glossy, mirror-style finish surrounding the display is a nice touch. The controls are fairly straightforward. They consist of a large five-way navigational pad, two selection buttons, answer/end call keys and a clear button. Conveniently, the navigational pad doubles as a scroll wheel that can be spun using a quick flick of your thumb. Despite the compact size of the unit, Samsung has still managed to include dedicated volume, camera and music buttons, negating the need to delve into the menu to access these applications.
Slid open, the E740 reveals a well-laid-out keypad. The keys are reasonably flat, though despite this they provide good tactility and are comfortable to type on for extended periods. The display is what we expected from a handset in this price range: it’s far from outstanding but it's definitely acceptable considering the feature set and limitations of a prepaid handset. Our main complaint is with its viewing angles and performance in direct sunlight; both are less than satisfactory.
It's certainly user friendly, with Samsung’s proprietary user interface the main attraction. The main menu consists of a simple 4x3 grid of menu icons, while the submenus are in a list format, numbered with shortcuts to make it easy to access commonly used functions. This is a handset that will definitely appeal to first-time users.
Considering the price tag, the E740 is reasonably well-equipped. A 2-megapixel camera with self-portrait mirror (but, unfortunately, no flash) is one of the main highlights, though don’t expect quality photos; it’s definitely good enough for wallpaper images, but little more. The music player is a nice touch, and the fact that this unit includes A2DP Bluetooth is excellent when you take into account the bargain-basement price. In addition, the issue of not being able to play music while accessing other applications — a problem with many previous Samsung phones — has been resolved. An FM radio is also part of the multimedia package.
Files can be stored on microSD cards; the slot is located behind a plastic flap on the left side of the handset. There is no card included in the sales package, but their price has dropped rapidly over the past 12 months, so it’s not a big issue.
Vodafone offers the Samsung E740 on a Prepay Maxi Cap for $149. $49 per month gives you $340 worth of calls, text messages and voicemail, while you can choose between $5, $12 or $25 Vodafone live! and Extras credit to access a range of downloadable content.
Join the newsletter!
Bringing VR out of office and study spaces will serve to help it attract the new audiences it needs to continue growing
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- How to Watch Huawei P20 Launch Live Stream & Live Blog
- Alcatel To Pre-Load Family Zone Service On All Their Australian Devices
- Telstra Sets New Smartphone Speed Record on Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+
- Boost Mobile Connects With World Surf League
- Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ Awarded Telstra Blue Tick Certification
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Interview - Netgear CEO Patrick Lo talks eSports, the NBN and why mesh is the smartphone of home Wi-Fi
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTLead Mobile DeveloperQLD
- TPDynamics CRM Support EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Network EngineerVIC
- FTSoftware Technical WriterOther
- FTInternal Recruiter - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTOrganisational Change Manager, ImplementationOther
- CCSystem Administrator (TRIM) - BrisbaneVIC
- FTSecurity Clearances OfficerACT
- FTStorage Operations ManagerOther
- FTCommunications & Change AnalystOther
- FTSenior Insight AnalystOther
- FTAPI Developer | Full stackOther
- FTSenior AWS Cloud SpecialistsOther
- FTSystems Administrator- Trim / EDRMSOther
- CCOracle Service Bus DeveloperNSW
- FTService Delivery CoordinatorVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectWA
- FTProject Manager T24NSW
- FTTechnical BA/Scrum MasterOther
- FTSenior Front-End Developer (Urgent)Other
- CCOffice 365 Solution DesignerQLD
- FTTechnical Quality LeadVIC
- CC0365 EngineerNSW
- FTAccount Manager - TechnologyACT