Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Android tablet (preview)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 preview: Samsung's first Ice Cream Sandwich tablet
- Compact and lightweight
- 3G connectivity
- Android 4.0 out of box
- Rather underwhelming specs
- No AMOLED display
- No Australian release confirmed
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is the company's entry-level, inexpensive Android tablet, and an update to the original Galaxy Tab. It comes with Android 4.0 out of the box and has 3G connectivity, but on first glance its specs are rather underwhelming. If it's aggressively priced, however, it could prove to be a great entry level tablet.
Samsung has seen fit to update its first Android tablet (the original Galaxy Tab) with a new model, the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. It's a 7in Android tablet and is the company's first to run Google's latest Ice Cream Sandwich version of Android out of the box.
Samsung's tablet strategy is definitely one of the more overwhelming in the market. If you need a brief rundown, the company started off with a 7in Android tablet, then released a 10.1in, then revised that 10.1in to be thinner and lighter than the first, then brought out an 8.9in model, and then a slightly bigger 7.7in device. To top it all off, the company recently released the Galaxy Note, a 5.3in half tablet, half smartphone. Confused yet? We certainly are.
Officially, Samsung clarifies its many different sized tablets as "expanding the choice of tablets to customers". JK Shin, the company's president, is quoted in the media release of the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 saying that "two years ago, Samsung Galaxy Tab began to offer customers more possibilities on the go. Since then, Samsung has actively enhanced our tablet line-up with several tablets in different sizes." We're not so sure that consumers really need a 7in, a 7.7in and then an 8.9in tablet: to us that promotes confusion rather than choice.
If you're confused, take note that Samsung has clearly intended the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to be an entry-level, inexpensive model. Firstly, it has a regular LCD with a resolution of 1024x600 so it lacks the brighter, AMOLED screens that come with the company's other sized models. The Galaxy Tab 2 also has a rather underwhelming set of specifications: the tablet is powered by a 1GHz dual-core processor, has 1GB of RAM and only a 3-megapixel rear camera, with a basic VGA snapper on the front.
Like the original Galaxy Tab, perhaps the best inclusion on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is 3G connectivity via a SIM card slot. The tablet supports the 900MHZ and 2100MHz 3G bands, but not the 850MHz band used by Telstra's 3G network in Australia. It's always possible Samsung could produce an 850MHz model suited to Telstra (as it did with the original Galaxy Tab) but this remains to be seen.
The Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 comes with Google's latest 4.0 version of Android, Ice Cream Sandwich, and runs Samsung's TouchWiz UX overlay on top. The usual array of Samsung apps and services are all included — Music Hub, Readers Hub, Game Hub — and the company has also introduced a new app called Video Hub. It offers over 1000 films for purchase or rent, and provides reviews, trailers and recommendations for these films. Samsung hasn't confirmed whether the Video Hub service will be available in Australia.
Samsung hasn't announced if or when the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 will launch in Australia. The tablet will first launch in the UK next month, but pricing details have yet to be revealed. Considering the specifications, we can only hope Samsung will price the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 aggressively.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Huawei Y5 (2017): Full, in depth review
- 3 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 4 First Look: Nikon D850
- 5 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- HP Omen laptops include a first: Nvidia Max-Q graphics technology
- HP's Omen X Compact Desktop can morph into a backpack VR PC
- HP's Omen Accelerator can give your laptop some guts
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Canon 6D MK II
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which case should I buy for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTConfiguration AnalystOther
- CCPartner Marketing ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst | Integrated Care ProgramQLD
- FTSenior SQL DeveloperOther
- FTSERVICE DESK - ENTRY LEVELSA
- FTProgram Director - Telecommunications (FTK, CW and SAED)Other
- FTRPA DeveloperOther
- FT.Net Developer - Multiple positions availableSA
- CCPricing AdministratorVIC
- TPIT Security ManagerQLD
- FTIT Service Delivery ManagerOther
- TPC++ DeveloperNSW
- CCHead of IT TransformationVIC
- CCIT Project SchedulerQLD
- CCIT Project SchedulerQLD
- CCDigital Reporting AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork SpecialistQLD
- CCData Business AnalystNSW
- FTDevOps Engineer | Leading SaaS Product CompanyOther
- TPSenior/Principal Business Analyst - TransformationQLD
- FTMarketing Executive - Digital, Direct and Customer MarketingOther
- TPChange ManagerVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- CCChange Manager-Port MacquarieNSW
- TPSales Representative/Account Manager - Global CorporationNSW