Samsung HD Icon smartphone
Samsung's HD Icon is the first mobile phone in the world to record 720p HD video
- HD video recording, excellent 8-megapixel camera, TouchWIZ interface, large AMOLED display, 3.5mm headphone jack, good music player, 16GB internal memory with card slot
- Glossy design is a fingerprint magnet, no lens cover for camera, some Symbian UI issues, no dedicated app store
The Samsung HD Icon is recommended for anyone after an excellent camera phone. HD video recording is superb, it can take excellent photos and it's a very capable music player, too. The Symbian OS isn't perfect and can be the cause of some frustration, but Samsung has done a much better job than Nokia with this touch-screen smartphone.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
At first glance it looks like one of the largest smartphones we've ever reviewed, but although Samsung's HD Icon is tall it’s not especially chunky. Sporting a large 3.7in AMOLED display, the aptly named HD Icon is the first mobile phone in the world to record high-definition 720p video. Also boasting an 8-megapixel camera, a touch screen and running the Symbian OS with Samsung's TouchWIZ interface, the HD Icon is an impressive entertainment device, but not a world beater.
The Samsung HD Icon initially looks like a behemoth, but although it’s tall it's not overly large and it doesn't feel too heavy in your hand. This is largely due to the all-plastic body, with Samsung opting for a gloss black finish with chrome edging. Like most glossy phones, it’s nearly impossible to keep the HD Icon free of smudges and fingerprints.
We aren't a huge fan of the Samsung HD Icon's design. The chrome strip below the display houses the menu and answer/end call buttons and it looks like it's been taken straight off LG's Secret. Additionally, the dotted pattern on the top and bottom doesn’t do this phone justice. The flimsy plastic covers on the USB and headphone ports are also annoying and detract from the overall look and feel.
Once you switch on the Samsung HD Icon you'll quickly forgive these minor blemishes. The 3.7in AMOLED display is simply fantastic, providing rich, vivid colour and excellent brightness. Viewing angles are also superb, though the glossy screen does reflect lighting in an office environment and makes the display hard to see in direct sunlight outdoors. In comparison to the iPhone 3GS display, the HD Icon's screen is noticeably brighter and possesses far better viewing angles.
The Samsung HD Icon features an 8-megapixel camera with a dual LED flash, but its most noteworthy feature is the ability to record 720p HD video. Although it won't replace a standalone video camera, the HD Icon records sharp, crisp video in the MP4 file format at a resolution of 1280x720. Colours are excellent and the quality is noteworthy for a mobile phone, though many of our test videos seemed a little too bright. For still images, the HD Icon is one of the best camera phones on the market and it handles almost anything you throw at it, with the exception of photos taken in low-light conditions — the dual LED flash isn't powerful enough. The camera's speed is also very impressive: it takes just two seconds to start up, there is minimal shutter lag and the camera application feels slick and zippy. The lack of a lens cover is a downside.
The Samsung HD Icon's 8-megapixel camera has a dual LED flash. It is the first phone to record 720p HD video.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 2 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 3 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 4 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
- 5 iPhone 8: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Latest Spartan sports watches hit the scene
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
- Google's Pixel Launcher leak hints at the demise of the Nexus brand
- It's official: iOS 10 launches with huge improvements to iMessage, Apple Music, Siri, and more
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCBusiness Analyst / Advisor - Content & Collaboration - SharePointNSW
- FTScrum Master | 6mths +Other
- FTReporting Analyst - Planning & ForecastingOther
- CCSenior DevOps ManagerVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst | AO6 | Government ContractQLD
- FTSAP Data AnalystOther
- FTSenior Digital Producer/Digital Program ManagerOther
- CCCisco ACI Senior Network Engineer, Technical Consultant Or Network ArchitectNSW
- TPCapacity PlannerNSW
- FTNetwork Engineers- Transmission, IP Core and ITOther
- CCProperty Project Manager - Office ExpansionNSW
- FTTableau Application Support SpecialistOther
- FTClient Delivery DirectorACT
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Business Analyst- UX, wireframes, AgileOther
- FTTechnical Digital ProducerOther
- CCScrum MasterQLD
- CCAnalyst Programmer / DeveloperNSW
- CCSalesforce Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTEllipse DeveloperQLD
- FTPerformance EngineerOther
- FTWorkspace/ Workplace Lead/ Manager - ABW environmentOther
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCOracle CRM OD (On Demand) Consultant - Telecom IndustryVIC
- TPNetwork EngineerVIC