Samsung Miniket VP-X110
- Strap-on weather proof extension, sports focused, compact, mp3 player, easy to use
- Poor image quality, disjointed shooting modes
For amateur sports photographers, the X110 is an excellent choice. Its compact size and ease of use makes it perfect for those wanting to capture footage of themselves enjoying the great outdoors!
Price$ 1,299.00 (AUD)
A "Sports Camcorder" is what Samsung have dubbed the weather resistant, rubber encased iteration in their Miniket series. The VP-X110's design is essentially that of the other cameras in the series, but with an emphasis on outdoor usage.
Physically, the X110 is the same as the VP-M110, with the exception of its black and blue rubber exterior. The controls are identical, as is the two inch screen. Image quality, again, we found to be almost exactly the same as with the M110. For more details on the interface, design, and image quality, please consult our review of the Miniket VP-M110.
The big difference between these two models is their intended uses. The M110 is sold as more of an all-round camera, while the X110 is marketed with a strong emphasis on sporting and outdoor use. This puts it in the best possible situation - outdoors, with plenty of bright light. Fast paced action probably won't be done justice by the X110, but it still presents itself as a functional and viable option for amateur sports recording.
What really exemplifies the sporting style of the X110, however, is the external camera module. A cylindrical device, it's essentially an extension of the camera, which can be plugged into the handheld portion. This is the weather resistant portion of the camera, and comes with its own rubber casing, enough to protect it from some of the less fierce elements. The cylindrical camera fits inside the rubber casing, which is attached to a strap, allow it to be fastened to the head, arm, or any other similar body part of piece of equipment (a bicycle frame, for example).
The quality of the extension is lower than the handheld camera, due to even fewer pixels, but footage recorded is generally still decipherable. Don't expect anything near the clarity of professional sports photography, but if you want to film your mates surfing, or yourself going down a steep slope on your mountain bike, it's a pretty cool camera.
The X110 is what the rest of the Miniket range should have been - a fun focused, easy to use camera geared up for outdoor shooting. Its intended purpose fits well with both the pros and cons of the Miniket range, and we could easily see it being the most successful iteration of the series.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- 2 First Look: Nikon D850
- 3 OnePlus 5: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Nokia 8: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
Latest News Articles
- Sony make shooting in HDR easy with new 4K camcorders
- Sony announces Australian availability for new waterproof RX0 action-camera
- Microsoft's Beam becomes Mixer, adds four person split-screen streaming to battle Twitch
- Microsoft's Story Remix uses machine learning and mixed reality to make your movies awesome
- New IoT malware targets 100,000 IP cameras via known flaw
PCW Evaluation Team
- Huawei Y5 (2017) Review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTManager - Electrical Engineering (Electrical/Signal) backgroundOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - BillPayOther
- FTFront End Developer (Urgent)Other
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorVIC
- FTFront End Developer with UX designOther
- FTTechnical writerNSW
- TPProgramme SupportACT
- CCXamarin Mobile Developer - East MelbourneNSW
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerOther
- CCSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Infrastructure Engineer - hands on roleOther
- FTBig Data EngineerOther
- FTBackend Java DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - InsuranceOther
- FTCorporate ReceptionistOther
- FTGraduate C# DeveloperNSW
- CCNetwork Planner - TelcoVIC
- TPAgile Business AnalystQLD
- FTData ScientistOther
- FTSAP FICO ConsultantOther
- FTSolution ArchitectWA
- TPSenior Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTiOS DeveloperSA