- An attractive sleek, black exterior with a glossy finish; quick and quiet
- Lacks an output tray for your prints; graphics looked a bit dotty; copy quality looked a bit too grainy
The SCX-4500 is an attractive, pleasantly quiet, and user-friendly MFD that turns in solid all-around results. The lack of an output tray is irritating, but the Samsung SCX-4500 would be a good fit in your personal office.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
The Samsung SCX-4500 is a good overall performer, offering the benefits of high-quality monochrome laser prints and colour scans without putting a dent in your budget.
Most laser multifunction devices (MFDs) have the ability to print in colour and are built for small-to-medium businesses – but the daily cost of colour printing is expensive. For the cost conscious, a monochrome multifunction laser printer such as Samsung's SCX-4500, which includes a built-in scanner and copier, is a welcome alternative.
Sporting a sleek, black exterior with a glossy finish, the Samsung SCX-4500 sits attractively on your desk.
The SCX-4500 is light and compact for an MFD, weighing about 8.6kg. However, the Samsung SCX-4500 lacks an output tray for your prints. You'll have to turn the SCX-4500 away from the edge of your desk to prevent papers from falling on the floor.
Quick and quiet, the Samsung SCX-4500 features an intuitive, touch-sensitive control panel with only seven buttons (Power, Start Copy, Scan to PC, Stop/Clear, Darkness, Reduce/Enlarge, and Copies). The panel's simplicity makes it easy to work the Samsung SCX-4500; there's no fretting over the controls.
The Samsung SCX-4500's scanning software is intuitive and well designed, too. You'll appreciate the software's options; for example, you can set image type (e.g., true colour RGB and line art), resolution (up to 600x2400 dots per inch), document type, and filters to adjust sharpness or blur. Other MFDs we've tested include software with only a minimal number of customisation options.
The SCX-4500 turned in speedy print results. It took 13 seconds to print a one-page Word document, 46 seconds to print a 10-page Word document, and 31 seconds to print a four-page PDF. The Samsung SCX-4500's scanning speed isn't shabby either. With sharpening turned off, the scanner took 77 seconds to scan an 8x10in photo at 600dpi, and 78 seconds to scan a 4x6in photo at 1200dpi.
When it comes to image quality, the Samsung SCX-4500 doesn't disappoint. The SCX-4500 earned a Good rating (on a scale of Superior, Very Good, Good, Fair, and Poor) from our panel of experts in our Text Quality test; overall, text appeared clean and smooth, but not as sharp as the output from other laser printers we've tested.
Print quality lost integrity at finer point sizes. On our Graphics, Fine Lines, and Gradients test, the Samsung SCX-4500 earned a Good rating: fine lines were clean and well preserved, gradients looked flushed and weren't well-distinguished, and graphics looked professional though a bit dotty. The Samsung SCX-4500's copy quality looked rich and detailed but a bit too grainy overall, earning a Very Good rating.
The SCX-4500's scanner got a Very Good rating for colour: compared to our control photo of a picnic, the Samsung SCX-4500's scan output looked pleasing but a bit too blue. The scanner received a Good rating for clarity: overall, the scans appeared a little soft and could have been sharper.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 4 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 5 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- HP shutting down default FTP, Telnet access to network printers
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTApplication ArchitectOther
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- CCLinux AdministratorNSW
- FTFull Stack Developer - ASP.NETVIC
- FTSenior Network EngineerOther
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- FTNetwork Lead AcrhitectNSW
- FTSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- TPIT Cloud EngineerNSW
- TPProject OfficerVIC
- FTTechnical/ Architecture Java LeadVIC
- FTMultiple DevOps EngineersNSW
- CCIntegration AnalystNSW
- CCIntegration SpecialistQLD
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Test Engineer - Insurance domainVIC
- CCLinux AdministratorNSW
- CCDevelopers ? Multiple opportunities (Brisbane)NSW
- CCProcess LeadNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Change Management - Government backgroundOther
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst - HealthQLD
- FTData Centre Support Engineer -| 6mth ContractOther
- CCBusiness Improvement Specialist (Six Sigma Green belt) - Contract - North SydneyNSW