Samsung SyncMaster 242MP
- Stellar PC LCD monitor
- Artefacts when viewing TV or DVD
A television tuner doesn't turn this otherwise gorgeous monitor into a good TV.
Price$ 4,499.00 (AUD)
Samsung touts the SyncMaster 242mp's included TV tuner as the model's major draw. But this 24" wide-screen LCD monitor deserves a closer look instead for its stellar still-image quality.
I tested a shipping version of this monitor and found that for office tasks, its bright screen ranks among the best large wide-screen LCDs I've seen; the unit deftly showed sharp text, dramatic contrast and rich colours.
Unfortunately, like other LCD monitors, the 242mp is not as adept at switching gears between work and play. Whenever I played a DVD--either via the DVI signal from a PC or through a component signal from a high-quality DVD player--I had to fuss with multiple controls to reduce the picture's graininess, including changing the colour settings and switching to a movie mode using the small but functional remote control.
Alas, even after my adjustments, ghosting, image artefacts, and a dark picture still plagued this screen during both DVD and TV playback. Its 16-millisecond black-to-white response time couldn't keep up with the swordplay action in The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, either.
Offering S-Video, composite, and component inputs as well as DVI and analog PC inputs, the 242mp hooks up to many external devices and PCs. Its TV tuner connects easily to your cable via an included adapter. Its speakers pack a decent punch.
For considerably less, you could buy the similar-size Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW (which lacks speakers and a TV tuner). You could then add speakers and a TV-tuner card to your PC and even get TiVo-like functions--all for less than you'd pay for the 242mp. You'll have to decide whether the Samsung's all-in-one convenience is worth the cash.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Apple iPhone X
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Fallout Geeki Tikis
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- 2 Acer Spin 5 review: Value for money but conditions apply
- 3 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 4 Sony LF-S50G review: Google Assistant and then some
- 5 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
Latest News Articles
- BenQ Celebrates Modern Sleekness with Newest Monitors for Home and Office
- AOC Unveils AG322QCX AGON Gaming Display Bolstered for Battle
- Samsung announces Australian availability for its 49-inch CHG90 QLED Monitor
- BenQ Announces the EW3270ZL Eye Care Monitor with Immaculate Colour Reproduction
- AbleGamers' Player Panels could make future games more disability-friendly
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories
- CES 2018: Alcatel Embrace 18:9 Aspect Ratio In 2018
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCCapacity ManagerACT
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- FTMurex DeveloperVIC
- FTPHP Developer (Codeigniter / Cake)VIC
- CCIteration Lead - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- CCCall Centre Operator /AdministratorNSW
- FTDatabase AdministratorNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTLead Mobile DeveloperQLD
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer C++ - Financial Services - Permanent - SydneyNSW
- FTSalesforce DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Java DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Digital Producer/Digital Program ManagerOther
- TPSenior Java Developer / IntegratorQLD
- CCSecurity ArchitectQLD
- FTProject Cost ControllerSA
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTIT Field TechnicianNSW
- CCLead Pega Systems ArchitectACT
- CCSite Acquisition/ RF Engineer EngineerNSW
- CCCustomer IT Service Support ProfessionalVIC
- FTUX DesignerOther
- CCCISCO Project ManagerVIC