Samsung SyncMaster 242MP
- Stellar PC LCD monitor
- Artefacts when viewing TV or DVD
A television tuner doesn't turn this otherwise gorgeous monitor into a good TV.
Price$ 4,499.00 (AUD)
Samsung touts the SyncMaster 242mp's included TV tuner as the model's major draw. But this 24" wide-screen LCD monitor deserves a closer look instead for its stellar still-image quality.
I tested a shipping version of this monitor and found that for office tasks, its bright screen ranks among the best large wide-screen LCDs I've seen; the unit deftly showed sharp text, dramatic contrast and rich colours.
Unfortunately, like other LCD monitors, the 242mp is not as adept at switching gears between work and play. Whenever I played a DVD--either via the DVI signal from a PC or through a component signal from a high-quality DVD player--I had to fuss with multiple controls to reduce the picture's graininess, including changing the colour settings and switching to a movie mode using the small but functional remote control.
Alas, even after my adjustments, ghosting, image artefacts, and a dark picture still plagued this screen during both DVD and TV playback. Its 16-millisecond black-to-white response time couldn't keep up with the swordplay action in The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, either.
Offering S-Video, composite, and component inputs as well as DVI and analog PC inputs, the 242mp hooks up to many external devices and PCs. Its TV tuner connects easily to your cable via an included adapter. Its speakers pack a decent punch.
For considerably less, you could buy the similar-size Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW (which lacks speakers and a TV tuner). You could then add speakers and a TV-tuner card to your PC and even get TiVo-like functions--all for less than you'd pay for the 242mp. You'll have to decide whether the Samsung's all-in-one convenience is worth the cash.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 2 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 3 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
- 4 Giabyte Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop review: Full, in-depth review
- 5 iPhone 8: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- AOC Unveils AG322QCX AGON Gaming Display Bolstered for Battle
- Samsung announces Australian availability for its 49-inch CHG90 QLED Monitor
- BenQ Announces the EW3270ZL Eye Care Monitor with Immaculate Colour Reproduction
- AbleGamers' Player Panels could make future games more disability-friendly
- Dell's luscious new 4K monitor is bold, bright, and HDR-infused
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro review
- Dell Inspiron 5675 Gaming Desktop review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTSenior Data Centre OperatorOther
- FTProgram Manager - Agile / DigitalOther
- TPBusiness Analyst ManagerNSW
- TPNetwork EngineerVIC
- TPAutomation EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Network Designer - Australian Citizenship RequiredOther
- CCApplication Solution Designer (Automation)NSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - eCommerce/Supply ChainOther
- FTInformation Security ConsultantQLD
- FTPayments Business AnalystVIC
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTDevOps Engineer/ LeadOther
- FTProgram Communications SpecialistOther
- FTMicrosoft Exchange Engineer- Azure & Cloud X2Other
- CCInfrastructure Solution Designer - Financial Services - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCIT Specialist - System ServicesNSW
- TPCyber Security ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior NodeJS DeveloperQLD
- CCDigital Content ExecutiveNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSystems/Business AnalystACT
- FTSenior Java DevelopersACT
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTMid Level .Net DeveloperOther
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW