Samsung SyncMaster 2493HM
A fantastic monitor with an HDMI input.
- Fantastic contrast, sharp images, great blacks and rich colours, excellent design, HDMI input
- Vertical viewing angles are a little off
Samsung's SyncMaster 2493 is an almost flawless 24in display. It renders motion excellently, has great contrast and colour reproduction and packs in an HDMI input and a resolution of 1920x1080. Whatever you're using your display for, this unit should cut the mustard.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
Sporting an awesome combination of style and functionality, the Samsung SyncMaster 2493HM is a fantastic Full HD display. Featuring HDMI input as well as more traditional ports, this unit offers stunning picture quality and a slick set of touch-sensitive controls, making it an excellent choice for multimedia or gaming.
With a 5ms refresh rate, 2493HM is one of the fastest 24in displays on the market. There has always been a tradeoff for gamers between size and speed, with larger monitors usually offering slower refresh rates. However, this is becoming less and less of an issue, as this unit illustrates. It performed well in our fast motion tests, with only slight trailing evident in the simulations and no noticeable issues during gaming or movie watching. Most hardcore gamers should be satisfied with the 2493HM in this regard.
Contrast performance was absolutely fantastic. The listed dynamic contrast ratio is an impressive 10,000:1, and everything looked excellent in our tests. There was a great level of distinction at both the light and dark ends of our contrast intensity ramps and a high level of detail in dark areas during film viewing. Blacks were wonderfully rich and deep; they were some of the darkest we’ve seen on a monitor.
This resulted in colours looking great. Everything was vivid and bright, with accurate hues and saturation levels. One thing that really impressed us was our colour-on-colour tests. Often we find text of one colour over a different coloured background results in some detail loss and aliasing on the text’s edges, but that wasn’t the case here.
Indeed, the image was crisp and sharp throughout all of our testing. Text was clean with no artefacts and the Desktop looked fantastic.
The only complaint we can really muster is that the vertical viewing angle is somewhat narrow. We noticed when slouching in our chair that we lost contrast toward the top of the screen; however, if you have your unit positioned properly you shouldn’t really encounter this. Fortunately, there was almost no colour shift noticeable on the horizontal axis.
The HDMI input, coupled with the display’s 1920x1080 resolution, makes this monitor an ideal companion to a high-definition games console or Blu-Ray player. There is also the standard combo of DVI and D-Sub ports for your PC.
We were big fans of the 2493HM's design. It has a glossy bezel that appears at first to be black, but also seems to contain hints of red, much like Samsung’s TV series. There is also a silver line running along the base. All of this adds up to a truly fantastic-looking display.
The controls also add a touch of class. Rather than conventional buttons, Samsung has gone with touch-sensitive pads. They look smooth but can be a little fiddly at times. All the calibration options you’d expect are available, including colour tone, contrast, brightness and position. You can also raise, tilt or swivel the panel.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- 2 Oppo R11s review: The iClone you know and love, but not quite the one you deserve
- 3 Blackberry KEYone Black Edition review: What the original KEYone should have been
- 4 Zolo Liberty+ review: The true wireless earbuds you've been waiting for
- 5 Samsung Gear IconX 2018 review: The path of least resistance makes for an easy upgrade
Latest News Articles
- BenQ Celebrates Modern Sleekness with Newest Monitors for Home and Office
- AOC Unveils AG322QCX AGON Gaming Display Bolstered for Battle
- Samsung announces Australian availability for its 49-inch CHG90 QLED Monitor
- BenQ Announces the EW3270ZL Eye Care Monitor with Immaculate Colour Reproduction
- AbleGamers' Player Panels could make future games more disability-friendly
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- FTDigital BA x2Other
- CCX2 BPE Managers - TelcoVIC
- FTDesktop Support Engineer - Onsite - UrgentOther
- CCDigital Designer & DeveloperNSW
- FTRecruitment CoordinatorOther
- TPSharepoint DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - AMLVIC
- FTSenior Project CoordinatorOther
- TPWindows 10 Deployment EngineerQLD
- CCIntegration EngineerVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCSystem Engineer - TelcoVIC
- FTService Asset & Configuration ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- TPInstructional DesignerVIC
- CCTest Analyst - SitecoreNSW
- FTHadoop DeveloperSA
- FTJava DeveloperWA
- CCJava DeveloperWA
- TPMaster SchedulerVIC
- FTContract Obligations Manager - Telco - 2 year Max Term - Nth SydneyNSW
- FTChange ManagerOther
- FTSenior PM - Data AnalyticsOther