Samsung T5 Portable SSD review: personal storage in its purest form
- Slim and light design
- Ultra-fast storage speeds
- More expensive per-GB
- Limited color options
If the idea of a portable SSD with shockingly fast transfer speeds and a form-factor to die for fills you with glee, this is absolutely the product you’ll want to get your hands on sooner or later.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
Personal data storage has always been a really interesting category because, while everyone needs storage, there's still a lot of potential customers would rather pass on the category wholesale than deal with some of the caveats and hassle it sometimes entails. Where enterprise will usually err towards security when it comes to data storage, consumers will all too often favor convenience.
Another bulky piece of tech to carry around? Pass.
When it feels like takes almost as long to back your data up on the cloud, why bother?
It is in firm opposition to these pain-points that Samsung have always positioned their T-series of portable solid state hard drives. Since their inception, they’ve been making storage look and feel sexy. They did it with the T1 in 2015 and with the T3 in 2016. Now, they’re building on that legacy again.
Third time's the charm - and the T5 is a thing of beauty.
The Samsung T5 is a portable SSD with a single USB-C port. It boasts a maximum transfer speed of up to 540 MB/sec and comes bundled with a USB-C to USB 3.0 cable, a USB-C to USB-C cable and a three year warranty.
The Alluring Blue version of the hard drive is available in 250GB and 500GB sizes while the Deep Black model offers more heavy-duty options with 1TB and 2TB.
There’s not a huge amount to be said about the physical form-factor of the Samsung T5 Portable SSD. Devilishly light, there’s not much else to it. Samsung have again gone for the less-is-more approach here.
It’s a small metal square with rounded edges and a single USB Type-C port on one end. Sized just 10.5 mm in thickness, the T5 weighs just 51 grams in total. Samsung say the SSD is shock and drop resistant for up to two meters - and we believe them. In addition, after a month of carrying it around in a bag full of keys, cables and other devices, the T5 also proved surprisingly resilient against scratching.
The last element of the design worth touching on here is the added security software app that Samsung have bundled in with the T5. It’s not super complicated to use (and more-or-less identical to the software bundled with the T3) but it does allow you to easily set up some added security on the T5 via AES 256-bit encryption.
Compared to the previous T3, the T5 holds up as a smart - albeit minimal - refinement that sticks with what works whilst also boosting the maximum transfer speed and adding support for 2nd gen USB 3.1 transfers (10gps vs 5gps).
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Xbox One X
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review: A solid winter flagship that cribs from the best
- 2 Google Pixel 2 review: not quite 'pixel perfect' but damn close
- 3 Google Home Mini review: a welcome addition to the smart speaker family.
- 4 Huawei Nova 2i review: Flagship features get smuggled into the mid-tier
- 5 Moto X4 review: This is what a world without MotoMods looks like
Latest News Articles
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
- QNAP Rolls out Quad-core 4-bay TS-453BT3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS Tailored for Creative Professionals
- Synology Introduces New Data Storage Solutions for Home and Small Offices
- Western Digital moves on Oz consumers with new storage offering
PCW Evaluation Team
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Western Digital My Cloud Home review: Take back the cloud
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
Product Launch Showcase
- FTTechnical Services AdministratorVIC
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTPart-time Project Administrator (Agile) - TelecommunicationsOther
- FTCustomer Service RepresentativeOther
- TPNetwork EngineerVIC
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- TPDigital Project Manager - SalesforceNSW
- CCProcess LeadNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCCommunication and Change ManagerNSW
- FTTeam Administrator / Program Coordinator ? Telco ? 6 month contract - Nth SydNSW
- CCIntegration DeveloperVIC
- FTData ScientistACT
- CCApplication Support Analyst - Level 2QLD
- CCHP Service Management Engineer/adminVIC
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- FTICT Cloud Transformation Program Coordinator - SAPOther
- TPSecurity AnalystQLD
- FTNetwork Services ManagerOther
- CCExstream DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Developer - Node.js - APINSW
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTData Analysts/ EngineersNSW